I know I dont post in here much but I hope you dont mind me giving some advice
Maybee (and anyone else who might be expressing or planning to....) - I had lots of problems with DD and Bfeeding (I combined EBM and bf for a while but after 10 weeks she wouldnt latch anymore due to having a small mouth and me having flat nips) so I expressed full time until she was 6 months old. Some tips I learned along the way were:
- Expressing during the night and morning usually gave best results
- If you miss a feed (ie: DH gives a bottle) its recommended that you still pump that feed to keep your supply up as it is all supply and demand
- Drink LOTS of water. There are supplements you can take if you need to help with supply.
- If you struggle getting a "let down" with the pump, (if you can!) pump near baby (I used to go in to DDs nursery at night and watch her sleep briefly if I was struggling to get the letdown happening, ah the things you do!) or have a photo / item that reminds you of them as it will help to release the hormones needed.
- I found different pumps give different results (obviously the hospital grade ones tend to be most efficient!). Ive found lots of women prefer the electric pumps but I actually found I got best results from a manual pump as I could control the pumping better. I never had success with hand expressing though
- If you do freeze EBM, freeze in small batches. That way if bubs doesnt take it youre not wasting hours of pumping down the sink (oh the pain!!!) or if bubs is still hungry you can easily warm up just a little more.
Hope that helps and good luck!
Kelly - good luck with your scan tomorrow. Ive been in your shoes, with brown blood and results going both ways (healthy baby and a missed miscarriage) so I know how scary any bleeding can be. Fx your little one is burrowing in nicely for the next 8 months.
AFM - 24 1/2 weeks now.. going away this week so will be offline for a few days. Been busy as DD has been sick but otherwise all is well Im reading along but dont post very often as I struggle to keep up with personals but know Im thinking of you all, particularly those ladies who will have little bundles very soon!!