+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I knew all about periods & pads etc from a young age (mum didnt use tampons but had a packet she let my brother & I dip in water as kids ). Mum also recognised when I was in year 4 that I was developing fast so rather than go to the grade 3/4 sex ed evening at school I went to the grade 5/6 sex ed evening where they also talked about that stuff. Got my period at 10 and I was pretty embarrassed, I told her not to tell my dad but she couldn't help herself, I think she was somewhat proud. She only used pads so I did as well until I was about 14 I decided to use tampons as well.

Eta: my mum made sure a knew all about it as my nan had woken up one morning at 12 and thought she was bleeding to death!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by schmetterling18 View Post
    My Mum died about 6 weeks before I got my first period. My dad was very very awkward about it and always made a point to go down the sanitary products aisle when we went food shopping and would sort of mumble "do you..um..need any of this?" Makes me laugh now, how much he clearly did not enjoy those conversations!

Sorry about your Mum. So cute of your Dad though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum had been telling me about periods since I was about 8 years old, so when it happened at 13, it was a bit of a non event. I just asked her for pads (which is what she'd told me to do).

She was pretty open about all that sort of stuff. I also remember that she started telling me about the birds and bees from really little and then took me to the doctor to get a prescription for the pill when I asked her to. Because she was so open, I didn't feel awkward either, which was good. I hope I can do the same for my DD without being too embarrassed!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was 11 we were camping over Xmas holidays Xmas day I woke up freaked out and told my mum, she said welcome to womanhood and woke everyone else off and we packed up and went home and everyone the whole way home (4 or so hours away) kept reminding me t was all my fault we weren't still camping and having fun at the beach. Yeah it sucked!

**Sent from my iPhone**

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is kind of odd but it seems as though Mum's like to congratulate their daughter's when they get their first period. My sister is only 13 months older than me so I was very aware when she got her first period. It seemed like an awful lot of hoo-ha to me.

It seemed like such a public way to acknowledge on-going sexual/physical development...or so I felt at the time. I felt so awkward and uncomfortable about my body that I told my Mum in a very low key manner and was desperate to make sure that no fuss was made. I'm not sure why I felt so ashamed...how awful really.

I got my period at school when I was 13 but I didn't require any surfboards on that day...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Albert01; 21-06-2013 at 22:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum left a book from the 70s on my bed to find when I got home from school. We're not talkers Thank god for Dolly magazine and my friends. Oh and my mum also called all of my friends' mums to share the news and see if their daughters had theirs. Mortified. Still am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum never spoke to me personally about anything like that (provided books though, so I was well aware of what was happening). I was too embarrassed and awkward to bring it up so I bought pads with my pocket money for a YEAR after it started before summoning the courage to throw a packet in while doing groceries together one day. She said "oh do you need those now?" and that is to date probably the most personal conversation we've ever had lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    My Mum never spoke to me personally about anything like that (provided books though, so I was well aware of what was happening). I was too embarrassed and awkward to bring it up so I bought pads with my pocket money for a YEAR after it started before summoning the courage to throw a packet in while doing groceries together one day. She said "oh do you need those now?" and that is to date probably the most personal conversation we've ever had lol.
    Wow, that is amazing...I would have done that if I had been that switched on at the time

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    I was 11 we were camping over Xmas holidays Xmas day I woke up freaked out and told my mum, she said welcome to womanhood and woke everyone else off and we packed up and went home and everyone the whole way home (4 or so hours away) kept reminding me t was all my fault we weren't still camping and having fun at the beach. Yeah it sucked!

**Sent from my iPhone**
    Why did she want to take you home...????

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was a fairly late developer. I was off school for the day (not feeling well) and it came in the afternoon, so I told her over the phone and she just said for me to help myself to her stash in her cupboard.

She probably asked me if i had any questions about it, but i was 13-14 and understood what it was all about.