+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mathletics/reading eggs etc

For those with school aged children, how much time per week do they spend on their required school related programs? I have three school kids that are supposed to do homework on Mathletics & Reading Eggs, and also spend some time on Study Ladder, Bug Club, Edmodo, hmm I think that's it.
    We only have one computer and I am at uni. So they probably each go on once a week for about 20 minutes. But the teachers are complaining! They keep telling me to let them go on more.

So I was just wondering if people truly do their required time (I think they want them to do 10 minutes a day on each Mathletics and Reading Eggs). This is as well as their written homework, home reading, and other homework grid activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yikes, what year is that? DD is in year 1 and only has reading to do each night...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Yikes, what year is that? DD is in year 1 and only has reading to do each night...
    Bl00dy kindergarten for one of them! Up to year 5 is my eldest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew is in prep and he does approx 45-60 mins a week of mathletics/reading eggs but is still not at the point where his teacher has recommended they be by now. That's in addition to other homework - it's crazy what is expected!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Our school asks for 15 minutes a week at home for prep and yr 1 but sometimes my two do more, sometimes they don't log on at all in a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmummy View Post
    My nephew is in prep and he does approx 45-60 mins a week of mathletics/reading eggs but is still not at the point where his teacher has recommended they be by now. That's in addition to other homework - it's crazy what is expected!
    Wow! Well I really don't think my kids will ever do that much... we're busy almost every day doing after school activities so it's a bit hard to fit in computer time, and homework, and oh PLAYING! When do they get time to play, and relax?

I want to buy them their own computer to share, but still, I don't know if we'd get time to use it enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So is this a requirement for the entire class, or just those who need extra practice? Seems like a lot of reliance on external sources to me.

DD and I play maths games and read together and stuff, I would have thought that would be preferred over interacting with a website...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I teach prep and we don't expect them to do anything like that... They are expected to read their home reader each night (and change it at school every day) and then practise their sight words but other than that they can do as much/little as they like..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD in grade one, will do 20 mins + (at home) one week and then not log on at home for a few weeks. We were never given a set amount of 'time', just told to log on when they can as they do some at School anyway so it is really just supplementary at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    So is this a requirement for the entire class, or just those who need extra practice? Seems like a lot of reliance on external sources to me.
    Yep, for everyone. I don't fret about it too much as my kids are quite bright, so they really don't need the extra practice. It's just that the teacher/s keep whining.