+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you do when your baby screams all night?

Our LO is 9 days old. His nights with us have been pretty varied so far. Sometimes he's easy, he wakes up, I change, feed and he goes back to sleep for 2 hours or so at a time. But mostly, he wakes around 12am/1am and then refuses to go back to sleep in his cot. He will feed for only a few minutes at a time and between feeds we change, burp, rock etc trying to get him to sleep. He will sometimes fall asleep in my arms, only to wake up as soon as I put him in his cot. Last night was really bad, he didn't just cry all night, he screamed. And the worst part, I coudn't even settle him by feeding because even though he seemed hungry (fist sucking, rooting, tongue thrusting) he screamed and pushed away from me whenever I tried to put him on the boob.

I don't know if I can do many more nights like that Can anyone help?

(btw, he sleeps aaaallllll day with 3-4 hours between feeds and latches on fine during the day.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big hugs, it gets better I promise. Dd is 4 weeks old and I've had quite a few nights like you've described. However the last one of those was at least two weeks ago.

All I did was cuddle, pat, rock, etc and let her sleep in my arms. Probably not everyone's idea of a solution but it got me through the nights.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps its probably also a bit of a day/night confusion. I was told to not let dd go any more than 4 hours max between feeds during the day, 3 being more ideal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so hard, my DD did that for a long time. Do you have a recliner? I found my glider recliner invaluable for nights like that. Is baby warm enough? It may seem like a silly question, but it is so easy to forget how warm a newborn needs to be in winter. It will get better, the day times seem fine so I would not suspect anything is 'wrong'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a fast let down?

I did in the early days and found my DS would swallow a lot of air trying to keep up.

He would scream through feeds often and then scream all night until he'd eventually pass out in my arms. Poor little guy had a belly full of air.

I eventually worked out this was the issue for us. Then I would latch him allow the let down to come. Detach him ( he would not appreciate this but it was for the best) and let the first milk run into a spit cloth ( I had loads of milk so didn't very to catch it but you could catch it into a cup). Then I'd reattach him once the flow has settled down a bit.

Sometimes I would have to burp him during the feed too.

Eventually my flow settled down and feeds became much calmer. Also he grew and was better able to manage my flow.
    Last edited by giggle berry; 21-06-2013 at 18:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    All that is pretty normal for that age. It takes a few weeks for bub to settle in a rough sort of pattern. It will settle down I promise sleep as much as you can during the day.

I co sleep and that really helps with the keep bub asleep, dream feeds and trying not wake them fully helps too. Only change her if she is pooed. keep the light dimmed as much as possible.

On nights when nothing else helped i have been known to putting them in the pram or carrier and walk them around the lounge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about let down, I don't think I actually get it when feeding but I think I feel it at other random times. But as I said, he seems to feed well during the day so I'm not sure that's the problem...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooo and download an app called sleep baby sleep. Dd loves the womb sounds it plays all night in our house lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Darcy!

We had similar issues early. I rang aba and got their advice. they suggested that if they are not feeding long (less than 10 mins) then they probably arent eating enough so are waking soon after as they are hungry, they called it snack feeding which some people dont mind. So They suggested once ds was asleep to put my ds down somewhere to let him wake up then reattach. Also as a pp mentioned I also had a quick let down reflex which is worse at night as I have more milk after laying down so was harder for him to eat it. He then would get a belly fully of air and be very unsettled.

I also encouraged ds to wake every 3 hours for feeds during the day, just by removing a blanket from bassinet.

I don't know if any of this will work for you. Every baby is different and not the same things work for all mums and bubs. It's really hard initially, I also tried to remember that bubs is used to being with me 24/7 and being by themselves is something they are not used to. Doesn't change anything but made me feel better understanding that.

I try to take each day as it comes and rest when ds does.

If you get really stuck there are sleep schools that can help. Another idea Do you have anyone that can come and stay a night so try settling him between feeds or cuddle him so you can get some sleep?

sleep deprivation is so hard. Good luck and take care

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SageS For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS1 was like that! I would just let him sleep in my arms. I would prop myself up abit with pillows and he would sleep on my chest. It was the only way. That's when he actually slept. If he didn't sleep I would pace up and down the house, alll night.