+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default weaning - breatfeeding to formula

i am currently day 2 into weaning my 6mth old off brestfeeding onto formula. im doing every 2nd feed formula during the day. Feeding on demand still. He's not on any solids yet.
    He is only taking 100mls of formula. I mix about 60mls ebm into it. (so 160mls in the bottle).
    Will he eventually take more as i decrease the breastfeeds? for his age the formula tin says he should be having 4-5x240mls!!!

ive stopped the overnight breastfeeds and he will drink all 160ml bottle (60mls breastmilk) when he wakes just the once atm.

How long untill it all evens out and hes completely on formula drinking the appropriate amount?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From what I understand, formula fed babies drink more formula, on average, than a breastfed baby drinks of BM. It might take time for his tummy to accommodate more iykwim. Just be careful weaning so quickly- if you are now only doing half the feeds you were after only two days you risk blocked ducts/mastits, and having had it once I can tell you, it's awful!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The tin is just a guide. They don't have to have that much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    He probably will. 100mls of formula doesn't necessarily equal 100mls of breastmilk. Sometimes they also have smaller amounts more frequently also, so when completely weaned to formula you should look more at the daily total than how much is had in a single feed IYKWIM

How are you breasts handling the change over? Parsley is a great anti lactation food, cabbage leaves on the breasts are great for night time- particularly as you fed so frequently overnight. I have even known Mums to use antihistamines to help dry up breastmilk, because BM belongs to the mucus family
    struggling overnight. Cauliflower boobs is an understatement. I pump the lumps out 3 times thru the night. Just a bit and heat pack. Dh feeds ds. I'm loving the rest overnight but very uncomfortable ATM! May take ur advice on the parsley and cabbage. Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might slow it all down then. Mchn said to replace every 2nd feed. I start in the arvo and work back. If that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    I might slow it all down then. Mchn said to replace every 2nd feed. I start in the arvo and work back. If that makes sense.
    I know some people do it slowly, by replacing one feed a day for a few days, then another and so on. Tales longer, but much more comfortable for mum