+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby carriers

I am hoping to purchase a sling/baby carrier while the sales are on.

I really like the look of slings for little ones (I have seen some with harnesses inside to prevent them sliding down into an unsafe position for breathing/hips) but am open to anything

I don't like too many straps, I just want something that will be used while I'm around the house or quickly ducking somewhere and won't need the pram.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bought a mini monkey online for $5 on eBay!! She wasn't a huge fan early on. She's 6 months now and loves it because she can see out and look around. I could not get the hang of the ring sling I bought. I'm very careful with her in it not bending overt or anything.
    I like the sling for a quick dash into the shop for milk or something.
    For bigger trips I use my ergo. .. she falls asleep in it. I could probably use it more often but I don't. I like it for Beach walks etc. Highly recommend the ergo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a mini monkey sling with DS1 and hated it, I couldn't get bub into a good position and felt I always had to have a hand on/ around him. It also hurt my back after 1/2 an hour.

I have tried my first ring sling with DS2 (9 weeks) and love it for shorter wears (up to a couple of hours, I use a hug-a-bub stretchy wrap for longer wears). The ring sling is quick and easy to put on, can adjust it easily with bub in it and it holds bub really snug and close, so you have both hands free to go about your business (even bending over etc - I couldn't do this with the mini monkey because it felt like bub was going to fall out).

I also have an ergo, but prefer this for when bub is bigger, as the insert you have to use for infants I find is just too hot, and I find the ring sling and stretchy wrap much less bulky for a newby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the info girls! The sling I saw and tried on was the goldbug sling and hip carrier. There seems to be some mixed reviews, people either love it or hate it.
    I like the fact that it has a harness in it to keep babe in a good position. Once babe got too big, I was thinking ergo? What do you think of the goldbug?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not familiar with the goldbug, but had a quick google and it looks very similar to the mini monkey sling. It looks like you can only adjust it through one strap at the back, which is esentially only going to adjust the height that baby is being carried - it's not going to hold bub really close and snug to your body, so every time you bend over the sling and baby is going to pull away from your body (that's what I found with the mini monkey anyway). I would go a ring sling over this style, so much more flexible in adjustment to suit the individual bub and different carrying positions.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 23-06-2013 at 07:36.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've never heard of the Goldbug. Sorry. As I mentioned I like my mini monkey but not early on. I also didn't mind the ergo with the newborn insert. .. I used it in summer a few times on the Gold Coast. I think you need to try out a few.
    I've heard of people contacting a local baby wearing group to borrow carriers so that might be a good option. I know lots of people love the hug a Bub ones too for newborns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much girls! I am looking at the ergo performance now as we are in a hot climate (hit 50deg this summer) so I heard the performance is much cooler?

I am a little worried about breathing difficulties and hip dysplasia after digging deeper into slings...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you are going to buy an ergo please look at the list of approved retailers on babes in arms just to make sure you are not buying a fake.