Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I've read the book so hope I am qualified to post

Since everyone agrees that the Houdini strap is a load of crap and in fact dangerous, doesn't that mean that TH lacks a hell of a lot of credibility? So how do you know what else is a lot of crap (apart from the obvious like kids pooing on demand, etc?). It seems dangerous to me to pick and choose from her book. If you pick the wrong thing to follow you could do a lot of harm!
    I don't think everyone's agreeing to that. I simply said I never paid attention to that bit, don't think I even read it. People don't buy SOS for the bit about the Houdini strap! They buy it for the routines, self settling advice so they can help their baby be a good sleeper.

You know what would be a good idea. For someone who follows one of the more 'relaxed' books to start a thread on what parts they follow and don't follow. Im pretty sure it would highlight that their are 'things' that parents don't like with every book.

In keeping in line with the intention of the thread, Have you ever tried SOS? Are there any other things from SoS that you followed? Don't follow?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I decided it wasn't for me after reading it before bub was born. We have always had a bedtime routine though and that works well for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi VP

Firstly, just want to clear up the fact that I haven't posted on BH for a very long time and I have a new account, not because I want to remain annonymous in this post, but because it feels in line with a new chapter in my life. I like to read along, rarely posting but thought I would contribute today.

I have used SOS since my LO was 5mths old, he is now 10mths.

Things I use from the book:
    -Routines, I personally follow them to the T, my DS fell into it very quickly, he thrives off them so I stick with it quite rigidly, the times just really work for him and I have been happy to adjust my life around it as the pay off for me has been worth it. After a couple of days to a week into the routine he would start nodding off minutes before his sleep was due, his body clock loved the routine and consistency.
    - Her bedding guide. My DS was still waking once in the night, I never considered it was because he wasn't warm enough until I joined her online forum ($60 for the record, not $300 as stated by pp). I adjusted his clothing and bedding that night as per their advice and he slept through 7-7 for the first time that night, and (other than when sick) he has slept through 99% of the time ever since. Needless to say, I love her bedding guide.

Things I don't use:
    - Her self settling techniques. Not because I don't agree with it, I did teach my DS to self settle at around 5 months, I just decided to do it my way with a bit of advice from a sleep school and using my own personal limitations on how much I was willing to let him cry / grizzle / protest or be left alone.
    - Her expressing guide. As I didn't use the book until much later

Next time I will implement her routines and methods sooner, however, like you, I wouldn't feel comfortable in doing this before 8-12wks. I would never begrudge anyone who felt comfortable in doing so though.

The level of negativity and controversy surrounding Tizzie is pretty OTT in my opinion. Same rule applies to SOS as it does on BH, if something is not inline with your parenting or personal philosophies and values then don't heed the advice, simple. It seems very clear to me that the majority of people are capable of taking as little or as much as they like from the book and if its not for you, move on to the next one, and if it works for you, why read 10 more!?!

She may have good marketing but at the end of the day if it didn't work for a lot of people on some level all the advertising in the world wouldn't get her books flying from the shelves.

I believe in SOS because its worked for me and the proof is in my happy, contented, well rested 10mth old, its also not just been good for my baby but it changed my parenting journey for the better, more than anyone could imagine, (unless you were in my shoes, my family, my home, with my baby), so no one will convince me otherwise. However, I would never assume that SOS is for everyone as it certainly is not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies poo on demand? Surely that's taken out of context! We followed a routine, but I've never read any book that says that a baby can poo on demand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    Babies poo on demand? Surely that's taken out of context! We followed a routine, but I've never read any book that says that a baby can poo on demand!
    I haven't read it so probably shouldn't post......

But from reading many of these SOS debates.....

It is suggested that your baby can learn to poo on demand as a way of manipulating you into picking them up out of the cot to change them while you are trying to settle them to sleep...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    I haven't read it so probably shouldn't post......

But from reading many of these SOS debates.....

It is suggested that your baby can learn to poo on demand as a way of manipulating you into picking them up out of the cot to change them while you are trying to settle them to sleep...
    oh. I might see if someone has one I can borrow. It doesn't sound right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    oh. I might see if someone has one I can borrow. It doesn't sound right.
    Yeah I've read it and that's what she says. Same with vomiting. I actually have the book on my phone and can pm you screenshots if you wish.
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 23-06-2013 at 09:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Yeah I've read it and that's what she says. Same with vomiting. I actually have the book on my phone and can pm you screenshots if you wish.
    Yes and she says that if your child is doing this to lay towels underneath them so you can clean up quickly without disturbing them or picking them up. I should leave the thread too. If my boy was vomiting then I would want to cuddle him!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Holy moly! This is why there is a divide. The book that was popular when my little girl was a baby was by a Gina someone, that caused a fair bit of divide. I didn't use it strictly like one of my friends did, even that caused tension. She had a difficult baby though, I don't think much would have helped. Now that our kids are 10 we can sit back and talk about it. She has a child who is very driven to succeed and I do think she was always a very driven child where as mine is more of a go wiht the flow type of a kid. I could use it loosely and still have a pattern that could be worked with, she had to be very strict and enforce rules and still has to be very strict with that child, not so much with the other 2 because they do things she asks them to do. Maybe 10 years from now all the parents who followed this book and all the ones who didn't can look back and reflect like we are now with the other one. I took it as a loose guide written by someone who didn't know our family structure or my work routines or expectations and my timetable that my child had to fit around, whereas my friend barely left the house because she had a routine to enforce. I'm sure it would have been different if she didn't have such a difficult baby or if she had to work. No 2 families have the same lifestyle so no 2 families would need the same routine, this is why there are so many books, to give parents ideas. Well, that's from someone who had one child who was a laid back child, families with kids close in age or twins or something would probably need to be stricter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, I don't expect any books to be one size fits all, many of the gentler parenting books I have suggest things that do not fit in with the way I raise my family and yet they do not provoke the anger & disgust that reading the TH book did.

The vomiting and defecating on 'cue' & subsequent instructions were deal breakers for me too, as well as the bedding recommendations that contravene SIDS guidelines and the Houdini strap recommendation that also contradict manufacturers safety instructions.

I don't expect to agree with 100% of any advice given to me by anyone, but when someone casually suggests something that in my eyes equates to abuse and or neglect or willful negligence, it completely inhibits my ability to trust their judgement in general and makes me question whether any of their advice has merit.

Forgive me, I didn't keep the book which was initially gifted to me because otherwise i would be referencing appropriately, but here is a quoted passage I found via google

" I often come across a baby who has learnt to vomit at bedtime during failed attempts at controlled crying. If you have one of these babies you will need to teach your child that vomiting will not get your attention or buy any extra time. This is hard, but it has to be done to stop the vomiting. The way you achieve this is to make the bed vomit-proof. Layer the towels in the bed and on the floor so it is easy for you to remove the vomit. When your baby vomits take the top towels away, leaving a second layer in case of a second vomit. If the vomit has gone on her clothing, undress her and put clean clothes on without taking her out of the cot by moving her to the other end. Do not make eye contact or talk to her while you do all this and be calm and confident through out, so you can fool your baby into thinking you don't care about vomit."

{text removed by Moderator}
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 23-06-2013 at 14:59. Reason: not in the spirit of BubHub

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (23-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (23-06-2013),Stiflers Mom  (23-06-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast