Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Same as FL, it's not the routines, it's not the controlled crying (though it does annoy me a little that she goes on a bit about how she doesn't recommend controlled crying). I don't think breastfeeding is a peripheral topic to a feeding routine, nor do I think that marketing products that go against sids and also car seat safety recommendations should be dismissed. (she recommends swaddling babies in car seats, and she sells a product that was not designed to take an infant's weight in a crash, it's not a safety device in an accident, it's just to stop toddlers unstrapping themselves http://shop.saveoursleep.com.au/product/1836/40732/ )

Then there's that whole thing about values vomiting and defecating to delay bedtime.

I think she's incredibly good at marketing. I've been into baby bunting and they had SOS across an entire bookshelf, as in 5 across, 4 down.. 20 copies facing on display next to the register. She's like maccas!

To be clear though, I have no ill feelings towards people who find value in her book. Just with the book and author.

I think "Safe Sleep Space" is a really good alternative book, also if you can get the DVD (I borrowed them from the library) they show parents using the techniques for the first time, so they can talk about how long to try, when to walk out, when to pick them up, and then show how it went on subsequent nights, I find that really helpful.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wasn't around when I had my now 10 year old, but there were other popular routine books. I demand fed and had a loose routine, but had set a pattern early on where things were calm and quite at night so she knew it was time to finish the day. This worked for us. I also didn't turn on any lights other than a little plug in light that allowed vision but not enough to make it exciting, just enough so I could see what I was doing with feeding. I'd go in, feed and rock then put back to bed. This gave her the idea that night time was time for everyone to be in bed. I didn't have a stubborn baby so didn't have the need to go for a harsher routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Just curious because I've read quite a few myself and I would say my favourites by far are Babybliss and Safe Sleep Space, which cover all of the things mentioned in this thread, without being so prescriptive and 'by the book' if you like. So you don't have to pick and choose or use your common sense (which lets face it not everyone has).
    They are both written by child health professionals, not former nannies. So yes I think they're a world away from SOS in terms of quality information.
    See, I haven't even heard of those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    /
    I think she's incredibly good at marketing. I've been into baby bunting and they had SOS across an entire bookshelf, as in 5 across, 4 down.. 20 copies facing on display next to the register. She's like maccas!
    I suppose this is why her books are so popular... They're everywhere. Maybe if other authors gave their books more advertising, they would be first off the shelf rather than sos.

I haven't personally known anyone that has used her book to its full extent. Everyone has used their common sense and taken what is going to work for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tizzy Hall's strategies are clearly very polarising...as such they seem to market themselves...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And the other thing...this thread was about which bits people chose to take and which bits we chose to leave...it was going well for a while but it always comes back to a for or against style of discussion...and I guess that's because Tizzy Hall's strategies are so polarising.

Tbh, I think the strategies suggested in other approaches are less extreme versions of some of the principles in SOS...not all...NOT ALL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    And the other thing...this thread was about which bits people chose to take and which bits we chose to leave...it was going well for a while but it always comes back to a for or against style of discussion...and I guess that's because Tizzy Hall's strategies are so polarising.

Tbh, I think the strategies suggested in other approaches are less extreme versions of some of the principles in SOS...not all...NOT ALL

I'm not debating for or against, just having a discussion. I was waiting for this thread to get heated (apparently they do)... still waiting

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not read it, but surely it's like any other book and can be used as a guide right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Fair point. To be honest those are two sections in SOS that I didn't really read or follow. I received bf'ing advice from midwives, didnt start SOS until
    Bubs bf'ing had settled down. And I am so paranoid I read SIds information direct from the SIDS website.

IMO the main parts of SoS are the routines and advice on sleep aids. Bf'ing etc is just peripheral stuff. So if that's the biggest gripe with the book, that's no
    Biggie.
    Just because people don't do SOS, doesn't mean they don't have a routine. I have had a strict night routine with my 3 kids since birth. It's just that the time varies for each baby/child. I am a bit loose with day routine, no set times, 2 hours max awake time for my 6 month old before she gets ratty, but I've got 2 other kids, so strict eating/sleeping times doesn't work when there are other kids to look after, entertain, feed, plus still live my life, drop off/pick up during school hours. Sleep/night routine is one thing I am strict about with my kids, but I do it differently, and I didn't need a book to tell me that that is important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just because people don't do SOS, doesn't mean they don't have a routine. I have had a strict night routine with my 3 kids since birth. It's just that the time varies for each baby/child. I am a bit loose with day routine, no set times, 2 hours max awake time for my 6 month old before she gets ratty, but I've got 2 other kids, so strict eating/sleeping times doesn't work when there are other kids to look after, entertain, feed, plus still live my life, drop off/pick up during school hours. Sleep/night routine is one thing I am strict about with my kids, but I do it differently, and I didn't need a book to tell me that that is important.
    I don't think VP said that at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I don't think VP said that at all.
    She said to wake baby/child at 7 and make sure they are in bed at 7 and nap times the same everyday unless for a one off occasion.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast