Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post

My brother and sil followed it to the T and then some, to the point of putting ear plugs in and going to bed and just letting my then 8week old nephew cry it out. That, I don't agree with and could never do to my own child, but I guess they can say that both of their kids sleep well.
    That's one bit I wouldn't follow. Leaving n 8 week old to cry. That's too young IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    No, as I said, more correct info in regards to breastfeeding and SIDs, to name two things I can think of.
    Fair point. To be honest those are two sections in SOS that I didn't really read or follow. I received bf'ing advice from midwives, didnt start SOS until
    Bubs bf'ing had settled down. And I am so paranoid I read SIds information direct from the SIDS website.

IMO the main parts of SoS are the routines and advice on sleep aids. Bf'ing etc is just peripheral stuff. So if that's the biggest gripe with the book, that's no
    Biggie.
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-06-2013 at 21:51.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just curious because I've read quite a few myself and I would say my favourites by far are Babybliss and Safe Sleep Space, which cover all of the things mentioned in this thread, without being so prescriptive and 'by the book' if you like. So you don't have to pick and choose or use your common sense (which lets face it not everyone has).
    They are both written by child health professionals, not former nannies. So yes I think they're a world away from SOS in terms of quality information.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Just curious because I've read quite a few myself and I would say my favourites by far are Babybliss and Safe Sleep Space, which cover all of the things mentioned in this thread, without being so prescriptive and 'by the book' if you like. So you don't have to pick and choose or use your common sense (which lets face it not everyone has).
    They are both written by child health professionals, not former nannies. So yes I think they're a world away from SOS in terms of quality information.
    So.. What you're saying is that SOS has some good ideas that are also in books you follow. It's the style (organised/by the book) and the peripheral bf'ing/SIDs advice you don't like?

Some people like routines and organisation. It doesn't make them bad. Just like wanting a more relaxed approach doesn't mean someone is bad .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do agree with Fearless. The "good bits" of SOS - routine, teaching self-settling and feed, play, sleep are covered in other, better books. Babybliss and Tracy Hogg are two who don't advocate leaving baby to cry, ever, and allow for a flexible routine while gently teaching baby to put themselves to sleep.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (21-06-2013),olismumma  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    So.. What you're saying is that SOS has some good ideas that are also in books you follow. It's the style (organised/by the book) and the peripheral bf'ing/SIDs advice you don't like?

Some people like routines and organisation. It doesn't make them bad. Just like wanting a more relaxed approach doesn't mean someone is bad .
    No. And it seems like you're deliberately misunderstanding me. I also like routines and organisation. I didn't say anyone who likes this style is 'bad'. I made no judgement statements on people who use SOS. What I'm saying is that I don't understand why it's so popular, when the good parts can be found elsewhere, and there are whole aspects of it that are by your own admission not useful at all. It's a bit like raving about Neapolitan icecream and spending good money on it but not eating the strawberry. Why not just buy really good quality vanilla and chocolate icecream. Seems like a waste to me.
    The style I dislike because it seems designed to make a bet both ways. If it works, it's because of the book, if it doesn't, it's because you haven't followed every one of its 500 rules to the letter. It's all just clever marketing.
    VP you seem very keen on attributing all SOS dislike to the controlled crying aspect. I'm not even going there- you're the one who keeps bringing it up.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (22-06-2013),btmacxxx  (22-06-2013),Bubbles10  (22-06-2013),Ceili  (22-06-2013),delirium  (21-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (22-06-2013),olismumma  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just used the sleep routine as a guide and became strict with with bedtime routine, we implemented this at 7 months so the other stuff I didn't pay attention to.

I used SOS based on a recommendation, I'm going to look over it for self-settling and routine advice again for this baby, but I don't and couldn't follow the routine to a T, she's just a bit extreme and hard lined for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    VP are you writing a real zinger of a response or have you given up? I'm about to go to bed so i'll read your response in the morning I guess.
    To sum up: I think with SOS you've been sold a bit of a lemon, because the car salesman was so convincing. And now you're pretending that it's this awesome cool vintage car when in fact it's just not very good and maybe you should have just bought a Volvo.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (21-06-2013),callmedragon22  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    A genuine question - don't most kids fall into their own routine? mine got sleepy at the same time, hungry at the same time and I just followed their lead. I have read the book, have owned it (it's in landfill ). My main issues with the book are:

obviously the CIO aspect. can't agree with that.
    trying to make a baby fall into a routine the parent sets
    the notion that little babies are manipulative
    the issues of over rugging which are clear SIDS risks
    the by the clock bfing advice which are bad for supply and defy the basic premise of how bfing works
    the merchandising juggernaut with the stupid dummies and Tizzy toggle outfits and blankets - and while I much prefer the ideas of Pinky Mackay she has followed the same lead with her booby biscuits so I don't discriminate based on my own beliefs - you are either cashing in or you aren't.

As to why her books are so popular? she is a master of selling her books as a cure all for sleep deprived desperate parents.

The only thing I like is the idea that there is a routine before bed.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (22-06-2013),BigRedV  (22-06-2013),Bubbles10  (22-06-2013),callmedragon22  (22-06-2013),Ceili  (22-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (22-06-2013),olismumma  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woo! No reply. I declare myself the winner

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (22-06-2013),Boobycino  (22-06-2013),kw123  (22-06-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast