Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All of the 'useful' things mentioned, though, I have read in many other 'sleep guides'. Especially the importance of bedtime routines, catching tired signs and approximate routines for each age group. Teaching to self settle. That stuff is pretty standard info in regards to babies sleep. So why does SOS have such a following? The only point of difference seems to be the more extreme methods it suggests.
    And VicPark, yes I have read it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    All of the 'useful' things mentioned, though, I have read in many other 'sleep guides'. Especially the importance of bedtime routines, catching tired signs and approximate routines for each age group. Teaching to self settle. That stuff is pretty standard info in regards to babies sleep. So why does SOS have such a following? The only point of difference seems to be the more extreme methods it suggests.
    And VicPark, yes I have read it.
    It was the one that I had been recommended, so the first that I read. Honestly, I haven't read any others.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

sjay  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It was the one that I had been recommended, so the first that I read. Honestly, I haven't read any others.
    See this is the thing, I think it's mainly popular because it has the best marketing. Not because it's such a great book. There are far better sleep guides that give much more sensible information and gentle methods that are breastfeeding and SIDs friendly, and that are written by actual professionals. That's what bothers me so much about it, there is much better info out there than SOS. But so many parents never find out about it because they just go straight to SOS.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (21-06-2013),callmedragon22  (22-06-2013),Ceili  (22-06-2013),duckduckgoose  (21-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (22-06-2013),olismumma  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found with SOS that it was fairly easy to refer to, and easily set out to follow the routines etc.
    Having said that I never really used it and have a demon 6 month old who I love more than life itself, who doesn't sleep.

My brother and sil followed it to the T and then some, to the point of putting ear plugs in and going to bed and just letting my then 8week old nephew cry it out. That, I don't agree with and could never do to my own child, but I guess they can say that both of their kids sleep well.
    I quite like the routines of SOS but my dd has never. Been able to go that long between feeds, and has resisted all attempts to teach her to self settle thus far. I haven't followed the settling advice in the book and don't plan to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    See this is the thing, I think it's mainly popular because it has the best marketing. Not because it's such a great book. There are far better sleep guides that give much more sensible information and gentle methods that are breastfeeding and SIDs friendly, and that are written by actual professionals. That's what bothers me so much about it, there is much better info out there than SOS. But so many parents never find out about it because they just go straight to SOS.
    I thought you just said SOS has a lot in common with other sleep books and the only different is the more extreme things (crying etc I assume). Better info out there according to whom? People with a parenting style that is more in tune with yours?

It's ok if it's not your style. Doesn't make your style 'the' right one though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You're probably right, but taking what I wanted from it worked for us.

ETA if I wasn't able to tweak it to suit us, I most certainly would have looked for an alternative. Maybe people that follow other sleep guides should get more vocal so first time parents don't even hear about sos
    Last edited by atomicmama; 21-06-2013 at 21:31.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

sjay  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I thought you just said SOS has a lot in common with other sleep books and the only different is the more extreme things (crying etc I assume). Better info out there according to whom? People with a parenting style that is more in tune with yours?

It's ok if it's not your style. Doesn't make your style 'the' right one though.
    No, as I said, more correct info in regards to breastfeeding and SIDs, to name two things I can think of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    VicPark, can I ask what other 'sleep guides' you have read?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You have said before in threads that if it didn't work, people weren't doing it properly or to the letter? Now they can pick and choose?
    Fair point. I think the important thing is that parents should use their common sense. as with any other methods, parents dont have to follow it 100%. I think with SOS there are some things you can compromise on without affecting the integrity of the program/bubs ability to sleep
    - bedding (if you have an equally robust system such as gro-bags with good clothing guidelines)
    - starting as a newborn
    - some of the so called 'extreme' things.

On the other hand I think there are 'tactical' things you have to be very careful about fiddling with, as to do so would likely undermine efforts to get bub to sleep well. Eg
    - no dummies/feeding-patting to sleep
    - comforters
    - 7am wake up
    - timings of the day naps (for the most part. Ocassional one-offs don't impact)
    - 7pm bedtime
    - putting bub to sleep awake

Hope that clarifies things...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    VicPark, can I ask what other 'sleep guides' you have read?
    I've got about 5 sitting at home I bought second hand. Flicked through them but they were too waffly/airy fairy for me. I like my reading material to be clear and concise. I can't remember the names. Perhaps that baby love was one of them not sure. I remember something about EASY in one of them.
    - not trying to be cheeky... im not at home tonight otherwise I would get the names for you.