Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think most parents use their common sense. Tweaking things to suit their situation. - probably just like parents that read other parenting books.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (25-06-2013),sjay  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I own, read, and tried it.

Bits I liked was the routine gave me a very very vague approximate rough idea about what maybe I could possibly try to work with at different ages and stages.

Otherwise... That is all I think I'm allowed to say in this thread

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's good input booby thanks!

That was a big take away I got from the book. A very rough guide for various ages. I had no idea beforehand.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I refer to it for routines/awake times/etc and have used her and Gina Ford to come up with a flexible routine for DD.

I find her self-settling advice against my philosophy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used the routines and it taught me about dreamfeeds and gave me a better understanding of dd's tired cues.

I didn't implement the cc, instead patted and shh'd dd if she was grizzling/picked her up, cuddled her then put back down if she cried.

As a guide, I think it really helped get dd out of her catnapping habit and has kept her sleeping right through most nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used it from 16 weeks with DS2 mainly for asleep/awake times. That and the 'put baby in bed and go and make a cup of tea' bit. We didn't do the controlled crying bit and were really lax on the sleep somewhere other than the bed bit but I did do the expressing and dream fees bit. At 10 months nub has been sleeping through for about 6 months - except this week cos I'm having supply issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used it for DS from about 6 weeks - I didn't know about it earlier but don't think I would have used it earlier even if I did.

I used it for 7am wake up times and for awake down times during the day. Used it for the dream feed as well.

I also used it for introducing solids.

I read about CC but truthfully he never really cried and if he did I knew it was a wind pain and we just got it up and put him back to sleep.

I allowed an hour or so either side in case DS took a bit of time to fall asleep. So if it said to wake him at 11 but I knew it took half an hour for him to go off I would wake him at 11:30 and just adjust the routine for the rest of the day.

I agree with pp I find the author a bit smug in the way she comes across. Also I had a question and went to the forum and it costs $300 to join and they make no guarantee the author will ever respond to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I loved about SOS was it made clear what the average wake times are at the different ages. I struggled in the first few months with picking up tired signs as my DD was not quite that obvious. I found by looking at the routines I was able to watch her closely and learn her tired signs. I also liked her descriptions of different cries. I didn't follow her times specified when responding to cries, but it helped to differentiate for me a grizzle versus an emotional cry. I didn't however put this into practice till my little one was 4months.
    What I didn't like was that she said babies catnapped as they couldn't self settle. My DD could self settle and still catnapped all day - it stopped all of a sudden at 6 months and it was nothing I did any different.
    Otherwise a good "guide" that you can adapt and choose what you would like to put into practice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think most parents use their common sense. Tweaking things to suit their situation. - probably just like parents that read other parenting books.
    You have said before in threads that if it didn't work, people weren't doing it properly or to the letter? Now they can pick and choose?

Anyway, I first came across this book when a friend told me about it. We were discussing bed times. By this stage, my dd1 was probably around 18 months old. She was always a good sleeper. Could self settle at 8 weeks. Her tired cues were easy to read. Slept through at 4 months without crying. She is still a really good sleeper at 5 yo.

I have a copy of the newborn and toddler books. I checked the toddler book once when my son was climbing out of his cot. I used a toddler bed with my older 2, even though she advises not to. One loved it, the other hated it.

I don't like SOS because I think every baby is different and shouldn't fit under one blanket routine. I've got 3 kids and they are all so different, especially as babies.

To me, it just made sense to have a night routine? My babies have a bath every night. I didn't need a book to tell me that.

I would challenge anyone with children who are the same age as my 3 when my last was born to follow her routine for a baby. I bet it would be near impossible with our schedule.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 21-06-2013 at 20:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Also, the amount of sleep babies/children need is a guide. My 5yo needs more sleep than my 2yo. That's just the way they are. They're both different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have it, read it & tried it...

Honestly, following it to the letter didn't work for us. I stopped trying when I got too stressed that DD just wouldn't sleep as much as it recommended & wanted feeds at different times. Maybe I took the routines as too rigid. I also had big issues with leaving DD to cry. And I never mastered dreamfeeding..

That being said, I think I did get something from it:
    - The importance of a bedtime routine. It doesn't happen at the same time each night, but the routine (bath, pajamas, milk, teeth, book in bed...) doesn't change.
    - Tired signs & putting bub to bed before she was too tired.
    - Expressing - it helped me get started with it.
    - Dummy - I did have some success without it early on but DF kept pushing it . Permanently 'lost' them at 12mths...
    - Learning the difference between DD's cries, i.e. tired, hungry etc.

The rest I discarded I think.

I have a happy toddler who sleeps 10-12 hrs at night (unless sick) now