Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But she actually tells parents the toggle, which is too high. So it isn't just telling them to put a blanket on their baby. You are right, parents can pick and choose what they want to take on and ignore. But it seems lot of Tizzy users do stick to her bedding guide.

Each to their own. it has worked for you and that's fine. I personally believe the book needs to be taken out of circulation.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (23-06-2013),VicPark  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just FYI this is info from Sids & Kids on Bedsharing

Special note about bed-sharing
    Many parents bring baby into bed to feed, cuddle and
    settle their baby. In cultures across the world, including
    Australia, many parents choose to share a bed with
    their baby.
    Sharing a sleep surface with a baby increases the risk
    of SUDI in some circumstances.
    Babies who are most at risk of sleeping accidents whilst
    sharing a sleep surface are babies less than three
    months of age, and babies born preterm or small for
    gestational age (low birth weight).
    Sharing a sleep surface with a baby must be
    avoided in the following circumstances where:
    • baby shares the sleep surface with a smoker
    • care-giver is under the influence of alcohol or
    drugs that cause sedation
    • baby is premature, small when born, or less than3 months of age
    • care-giver is overly tired
    • there is adult bedding, doonas or pillows that may
    cover the infant
    • baby could be trapped between the wall and bed,
    fall out of bed or could be rolled on
    • baby is sharing bed with other children or pets
    • baby is placed to sleep on a sofa, beanbag,
    waterbed or sagging mattress
    Important considerations when choosing to share
    a sleep surface with a baby:
    1. Babies are at greatest risk if they sleep on their
    tummies or sides and if their faces become covered.
    2. Make sure the mattress is firm and the bedding
    cannot cover the baby’s face
    3. Make sure soft items such as pillows, doonas,
    lambswool and soft toys are not in the baby’s
    sleep environment
    4. Ensure baby is not wrapped if bed-sharing
    5. Place baby at the side of one care-giver and not
    between two care-givers as this increases the
    likelihood of the baby’s head becoming covered,
    baby slipping underneath adult bedding or baby
    becoming overheated
    6. To prevent falling ensure the baby is not close to
    the edge of the bed
    7. Do not place pillows atthe side ofthe baby to prevent
    rolling off; a safer alternative is to place the adult
    mattress on the floor. Pushing the bed or mattress
    against the wall can be hazardous; babies have died
    when they became trapped between the bed and the wall
    8. As an alternative to bedding, a safe baby sleeping bag
    may be used without bedding so that the baby does
    not share the adult bedding.
    9. See the SIDS and Kids information statement:
    ‘Sleeping with a Baby’ for further information.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (23-06-2013),VicPark  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But she actually tells parents the toggle, which is too high. So it isn't just telling them to put a blanket on their baby. You are right, parents can pick and choose what they want to take on and ignore. But it seems lot of Tizzy users do stick to her bedding guide.

Each to their own. it has worked for you and that's fine. I personally believe the book needs to be taken out of circulation.
    I'm actually not even sure what you mean by the 'toggle'? Is this how she says to wrap a newborn as my LO was in a sleeping bag when I started using her guide!?

I know that she is trying to work closely with SIDS&KIDS, she attends a lot of seminars and has support from families within Australia that have lost babies to SIDS who firmly believe that had their babies been provided with a different / safer sleeping environment and were warm enough to have slept on their back, that the outcome for their babies may have been different. I agree her bedding concept possibly still needs improving / tweaking / researching a little more, but we are learning new information all the time and I firmly believe there is some method to her madness.

I was also fully prepared to do gentle versions of CC to have my DS weened from his one night feed as my gut told me he just didn't need it. In the very short term feeding him fixed the problem because it warmed him up enough to go back to sleep but this is of no benefit to any of my family in the longer term and in the end I didn't 'need' to leave my baby cry, yet, I reaped the rewards of having baby that stopped waking in the night. This is where I think TH is onto something, like VP is trying to get across, get it all right from the start and you are providing your baby with all his needs before he has the need to cry out for them. TH provides parents with a multitude of solutions to a multitude of problems, instead of just saying to inexperienced parents, here you have two choices if your baby wakes in the night, you can either leave your baby to cry or don't worry its totally normal for your baby to wake for a feed at 6mths so feed your baby if he/she wakes and deal with the with sleep debt, she is addressing a lot of other possible causes / solutions. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, I am in NO WAY saying that some babies do not wake because they need feeding, comfort, thirst etc as I believe that some do, but.... that it is beneficial to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

I am yet to hear from one parent within my circle of mummy friends who's said "hey, you know 'x' I'm really regretful that you made that suggestion to add another blanket or bodysuit to my baby and have him sleep through that same night... it was really traumatic for everyone involved'. And, if didn't work, nothing gained, nothing lost. I have also read a lot of evidence on her forum from people who have made simple changes like removing custard from their babies diet as per her suggestion, baby in turn sleeps through because they had an intolerance. Others have changed back to stage 1 formula because follow on formula was harder to digest and harder for baby to sleep, change formula, baby sleeps through... and so on and so on.

I think this is probably a very common occurance in a lot of households and these things are simple and easy to address. So, I just detest the notion that there is no substance, no value and no good intentions in what she is trying to achieve, amongst some of her more quirky ideas, there are some good ones and I have not seen any other "baby whisperer' present these to parents in the format that she does.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given a copy at my baby shower for DS1. I read it back to front while pregnant, with the intention of following it, as I normally thrive on routines.

After he arrived though, I very quickly determined I wasn't comfortable implementing any of the advice until he was at least 8wks old. I also decided it was best to continue demand feeding, for both him (weight issues) and my supply. I also didn't like leaving him cry, or the bedding advice (I use grobags).

So really, I therefore only loosely used the routines for awake times and sleeping. I had already established my own night routine through common sense, but the day timings helped me as a guide. But then they are very close to other books I've since read anyway.

I did lose all respect for the actual author though when I read about babies vomiting/pooping on demand. That's such a ridiculous thing to say & I think contributes hugely to her lack of credibility in the community.

I also worry about the mums out there that DO follow her book exactly, because some of her advice could be downright dangerous to a baby.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I was given a copy at my baby shower for DS1. I read it back to front while pregnant, with the intention of following it, as I normally thrive on routines.

After he arrived though, I very quickly determined I wasn't comfortable implementing any of the advice until he was at least 8wks old. I also decided it was best to continue demand feeding, for both him (weight issues) and my supply. I also didn't like leaving him cry, or the bedding advice (I use grobags).

So really, I therefore only loosely used the routines for awake times and sleeping. I had already established my own night routine through common sense, but the day timings helped me as a guide. But then they are very close to other books I've since read anyway.

I did lose all respect for the actual author though when I read about babies vomiting/pooping on demand. That's such a ridiculous thing to say & I think contributes hugely to her lack of credibility in the community.

I also worry about the mums out there that DO follow her book exactly, because some of her advice could be downright dangerous to a baby.
    Genuine question: Do you have any information from reputable sources that can say with absolute certainty that babies / toddlers CANNOT and DO NOT, ever exhibit this kind of behaviour??

I ask because I have heard first hand of instances where children have stuck their fingers down their throat to try and make themselves gag / throw up as a form of manipulative behaviour. Admittedly, I have never heard of children pooing on command but just because it hasn't happened to anyone I know does not mean that its never happened.

And hypothetically speaking, if you were faced with the situation of having a child who did exhibit this kind of behaviour as a way of getting out of going to sleep, what kind of techniques would you implement instead to fix it!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post
    Genuine question: Do you have any information from reputable sources that can say with absolute certainty that babies / toddlers CANNOT and DO NOT, ever exhibit this kind of behaviour??

I ask because I have heard first hand of instances where children have stuck their fingers down their throat to try and make themselves gag / throw up as a form of manipulative behaviour. Admittedly, I have never heard of children pooing on command but just because it hasn't happened to anyone I know does not mean that its never happened.

And hypothetically speaking, if you were faced with the situation of having a child who did exhibit this kind of behaviour as a way of getting out of going to sleep, what kind of techniques would you implement instead to fix it!?
    Do you know TH personally? Because as an old duck that's been round these traps for a long time, including being a mod, you are ringing some bells. Shame on you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post

What age are these children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Do you know TH personally? Because as an old duck that's been round these traps for a long time, including being a mod, you are ringing some bells. Shame on you!
    I was actually thinking it could be tizzie herself lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    I was actually thinking it could be tizzie herself lol
    Not anymore though it used to be. Now it's just her minions. So not cool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Ringing some bells!?!?!?

I have been around the hub for a while myself, 'mod' (just under a different username). I have read along and seen VP carry the SOS flag solo for quite some time. When I saw that she had started this thread, I thought it might be beneficial to throw in a different / new perspective to a usually very one sided debate for those who were genuinely interested in reading along and learning some more about SOS from my personal experiences, as I feel there are plenty of misconceptions.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, my thoughts are clearly unwelcome. Pity, because I thought the thread had progressed quite well.

And for the record, I absolutely do not know nor have I ever spoken to TH personally. So, SHAME ON YOU!!