Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    i think the problem though Vic, this that it's a bit of a loaded question. It's in the general sleep section and you have asked for those that have read the book to list what they have and haven't used. Many have replied they have read the book, but used little to none of the advice and listed what and why. So in people's defence they have stuck to the OP.

Maybe this thread would be better in the CIO section with a clear direction that only Tizzy supporters can reply?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Now back to the intent of the thread. Bits you follow and bits you leave. I never had to follow the poo/vomit on demand thing. As with the crying part of SOS the idea is that if you have the routines and sleep environment right, there is little need for a baby to be upset in the first place. This is what I found. After I started SOS my boy never cried for a feed (whereas before he did). No night wakenings either. No crying at bed time (big smiles actually). Certainly no poo'ing or vomiting on demand.

I believe older babies can do poo's on demand though. And I believe whenever there is a night wakening that you need to fix the situation wih the least amount of fuss. Fuss just wakes bub up further and creates a platform of attention which can encourage bub to wake out of habit.
    - but as I said earlier: get the first part right and you never have to deal with the peripheral extreme crap that the naysayers focus on (pun intended).
    Well according to the book, it is common.

I would also ask the people who say its just a bit of whinging, why does she tell the softer parent to go away for a few nights and older children as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is an incorrect assumption that only desperate, sleep deprived mothers suffering from PND and unable to make rational, informed decisions choose to use guidance from her book.

And for those who protest to her recommendations that go against SIDS guidelines, SIDS&KIDS still does not recommend the practice of sleeping with your baby either, does this mean in the unfortunate event of an incident occurring from this practice that you will point the finger firmly at Sears, McKay and the like simply because they advocate it!?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-06-2013),VicPark  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    So you are saying just bc others promote co sleeping which in certain circumstances can be a SIDS risk that it's ok to tell parents to over rug their babies? I remember looking at the Save our Sleep page on FB and most of the pics of babies sleeping were sweating, red and clearly overheated.

Just as I wouldn't promote co sleeping while drunk, I wouldn't promote rugging your kids up to the point of over heating as they are both SIDS risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    i think the problem though Vic, this that it's a bit of a loaded question. It's in the general sleep section and you have asked for those that have read the book to list what they have and haven't used. Many have replied they have read the book, but used little to none of the advice and listed what and why. So in people's defence they have stuck to the OP.

Maybe this thread would be better in the CIO section with a clear direction that only Tizzy supporters can reply?
    Because I don't want to hear a distorted view from people who only do CIO. That is such a small part of SOS and many parents following the book don't even need to do it.

I welcome people explaining in a respectful way why they don't use a certain part of the book. I don't think it's too much to ask to keep the insults and hatred out of it though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm saying that people pick and choose to adhere to the 'rules' only when it suits them. TH's Bedding Guide is simply that, a guide! I would expect people to use common sense, as you would expect people to use common sense when choosing to bed share with their baby. Both of which are against SIDS guidelines.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=VicPark;7308322]Now back to the intent of the thread. Bits you follow and bits you leave. I never had to follow the poo/vomit on demand thing. As with the crying part of SOS the idea is that if you have the routines and sleep environment right, there is little need for a baby to be upset in the first place. This is what I found. After I started SOS my boy never cried for a feed (whereas before he did). No night wakenings either. No crying at bed time (big smiles actually). Certainly no poo'ing or vomiting on demand.

I can completely relate to this

I think there are genuinely some mums who have a very natural ability to know, see, hear exactly what their babies want long before they get themselves into a state, and kudos to them, I'm jealous. But this was not me. My LO completely transformed after only days of being on the routines, he never needed to cry for food, never cried from being overtired because he was fed and happily asleep before he even had a chance too. And when he did cry and I could very easily eliminate a long list of potential problems and get to the crux of the problem very fast.

He went from one day sleeping 2 x 20min catnaps between 9am & 9pm to the next sleeping 4hrs during the day and 10-12hrs at night. He was a completely different baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post
    I'm saying that people pick and choose to adhere to the 'rules' only when it suits them. TH's Bedding Guide is simply that, a guide! I would expect people to use common sense, as you would expect people to use common sense when choosing to bed share with their baby. Both of which are against SIDS guidelines.
    Co sleeping generally, isn't dangerous though. Sleeping with your child while substance effected, on meds, overly tired or having too much bedding is dangerous. People like Sears and Pinky clearly point that out. But Tizzy is directly preaching info that is dangerous...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did start reading it when I had my son a few years ago, having no idea about the controversy surrounding it. I actually couldn't finish it because it was so against my natural instinctual parenting style and what I felt was right. I remember reaching a particularly disturbing part (to me) and just had to put it down. So to answer, I couldn't say I followed any of it. It's only since being on BH I have seen threads like this and my personal beliefs have been affirmed by others. I'm sure there are parts mums have found useful but it just wasn't for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Co sleeping generally, isn't dangerous though. Sleeping with your child while substance effected, on meds, overly tired or having too much bedding is dangerous. People like Sears and Pinky clearly point that out. But Tizzy is directly preaching info that is dangerous...
    Putting a blanket on your baby, generally, isn't dangerous either.

I personally understand what it is that she is trying to achieve by her bedding guide because of the positive outcomes that it had for me. Its about finding that balance between not putting your baby at risk from overheating but keeping them warm enough to have quality, undisturbed and safe sleep throughout the night. I have never needed to use her maximum recommended blanket layers to keep my LO warm enough to sleep through, but what it did teach me was that I was so conditioned to worrying that I didn't want my baby to overheat, that he actually ended up being cold, and possibly had been for months, this not being an ideal outcome either. Each baby is going to be different, some are able to sleep through the coldest part of the night with minimum layers, or regulate their body temperatures much more effectively than others. We as adults don't all feel comfort at the same temperature levels, why would babies!?

I don't believe that she has put my DS at risk, I utilise the tools I have to provide him with the safest possible sleep space. I check his head, chest and neck to feel his body temperature, I use a groegg to monitor his room temperature and I check my weather app every night before bed to see what minimum temp is going to be throughout the night and if I need to set heating, remove / add layers. After months of doing this I have now gotten to know my baby's individual requirements very well, using her recommendations as a guide.

Had I not discovered her bedding guide my LO would have still be cold, he would have unnecessarily still be waking throughout the night, having disturbed sleep and I would still have been waking up and feeding him in the night when he didn't really require it, I didn't know any differently. It helped me to simply and effectively fix the crux of the problem and as a result my family gets a good nights sleep. It really was a win-win for me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-06-2013)