Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As much as I am not a TH fan, I expect VP will understandably ask for this thread to be closed if it turns into a Tizzie bashing one.

I'd be interested in a spin off to know if anyone followed her "advice" in relation to car restraints and/or vomiting/pooing "on demand". But likely not worth it as those who have done so are not likely to admit it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So now you can only give out parenting advice if you have a child psych degree!? I do find the irony of the "she isn't qualified to give out advice" line quite amusing since this statement is made by those that are part of an online parenting forum who are giving and receiving an array of 'unqualified' advice on a daily basis.

I also don't think anyone has disputed that TH has said some questionable things, but I am yet to meet another parent where my philosophies are 100% in line with their's, even if I share similar values there are still always things that I would choose to do differently and I am sure that people feel the same way about how I choose to parent, but I'm not offended by it. The same goes for parenting authors, there is never one who's ideals I 100% identify with so I just discard what I don't need. If TH truly believes in ALL her philosophies then that is her prerogative to write about what she wishes, just as it is your prerogative to write here about what you wish and parent how you choose.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-06-2013),safam  (23-06-2013),VicPark  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I agree with you that some of the things in the book are hideous and abusive. But most popular baby books aren't written by people with degrees in psychology are they? Robin Barker, Pinky McKay..I'm sure there are more, they are the ones I've read.
    I agree with this but I think the difference is that they don't recommend practices that are unsafe/harmful.

If you are going to do that then I think it's reasonable to expect some kind of qualification other than being a nanny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They all seem much the same to me, after Pinky's backlash the other week I went onto her website and saw that she is selling all this crap and I just thought - they seem the same. They approach parenting from different angles but at the end of the day they are just out to flog their merchandise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    As much as I am not a TH fan, I expect VP will understandably ask for this thread to be closed if it turns into a Tizzie bashing one.

I'd be interested in a spin off to know if anyone followed her "advice" in relation to car restraints and/or vomiting/pooing "on demand". But likely not worth it as those who have done so are not likely to admit it!
    Not at all... actually, I don't even remember reading those parts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another aspect apart from the CIO aspect I find cruel is the advice for catnapping. I'm all for routine, I am, but she suggests if your baby wakes early from a nap you should keep them up till the next nap is due. This could be 3 hours for a 3 month old baby.

That's certainly one aspect I didn't follow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Exactly. I go away for half a Day and the liberals have taken over. The more bashing that goes on in this thread, the less SOS followers will feel comfortable sharing their stories.

In keeping with the original intent of the thread please talk about what bits you've left and what bits you've followed. This thread is not meant to be a platform for liberal parents who hate SOS (and who never intended to follow it) to vent their already cemented ideas. If there's a bit you don't follow, try also listing a bit that does make sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Now back to the intent of the thread. Bits you follow and bits you leave. I never had to follow the poo/vomit on demand thing. As with the crying part of SOS the idea is that if you have the routines and sleep environment right, there is little need for a baby to be upset in the first place. This is what I found. After I started SOS my boy never cried for a feed (whereas before he did). No night wakenings either. No crying at bed time (big smiles actually). Certainly no poo'ing or vomiting on demand.

I believe older babies can do poo's on demand though. And I believe whenever there is a night wakening that you need to fix the situation wih the least amount of fuss. Fuss just wakes bub up further and creates a platform of attention which can encourage bub to wake out of habit.
    - but as I said earlier: get the first part right and you never have to deal with the peripheral extreme crap that the naysayers focus on (pun intended).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I agree with this but I think the difference is that they don't recommend practices that are unsafe/harmful.

If you are going to do that then I think it's reasonable to expect some kind of qualification other than being a nanny.
    I bet the parents who have nannies looking after their kids would like to think they were somewhat qualified. Well moreso than Joe Schmoe on a forum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Now back to the intent of the thread. Bits you follow and bits you leave. I never had to follow the poo/vomit on demand thing. As with the crying part of SOS the idea is that if you have the routines and sleep environment right, there is little need for a baby to be upset in the first place. This is what I found. After I started SOS my boy never cried for a feed (whereas before he did). No night wakenings either. No crying at bed time (big smiles actually). Certainly no poo'ing or vomiting on demand.

I believe older babies can do poo's on demand though. And I believe whenever there is a night wakening that you need to fix the situation wih the least amount of fuss. Fuss just wakes bub up further and creates a platform of attention which can encourage bub to wake out of habit.
    - but as I said earlier: get the first part right and you never have to deal with the peripheral extreme crap that the naysayers focus on (pun intended).
    Sorry to jump wildly off topic for a second, Ive never read the books but my curiosity is now piqued. Why do you believe babies can poo on demand?? Is it from personal experience or have you come across a scientific article about it? And by babies do you mean baby babies, or do you mean toddler babies? I know some tt toddlers who do it on purpose to get attention, ect, but not baby babies, so im curious.

Sorry about the mostly off topicness!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app