+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were also told an A means working two years above their grade, B is one year above, and C is working well at their grade level. So to get a B for his reading/spelling means he's working above his grade level, so is excellent. There's definitely nothing wrong with asking to see his work though. Our teacher is always happy for parents to see their children's test papers and discuss what can be improved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    trustno1, everything you've said is true, but this is not what I'm talking about. Of course there must be a balance, a child's life is not all about what he does or doesn't do at school - but there has been a change for my child, and I'm attempting to find out if many have noticed a change, or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clarabelle in regards to English please remember that reading and spelling only make up a part of that grade.

There are many other things that contribute to the English curriculum. If he's getting a B overall with the current curriculum, personally, I'd be thrilled!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, that's right. They showed me his results from the last several tests, he received A's and a B, earlier in the year he got B's and C's which must have brought the overall result down - forgot to mention that - they said the principal said it would be better to keep him at a B. I just wouldn't mind getting a better read of the actual tests themselves, to see what he needs working on. They said he makes silly errors, leaving out words because he hasn't read through his work (leaving out and for example). I made an effort to congratulate him on his efforts, but asked him about his maths result and he said he's "no good at it because the teacher told him" - so that bothered me too. He was quite upset, actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There has been a big change in my DDs grades between end of last year (yr 2) and this year in year 3. However, we were all told to expect this due to the change in expectations and change in curriculum where our Year 3s have had to do a fast catch up. So I guess I am not concerned about it as we were told to expect this at the Year 3 information evening at the beginning of the year. My understanding is that QLD was running nearly 2 years behind the Australian curriculum (for maths at least). So to expect them to get As when they are having to rush through new concepts and have little time for consolidation of these new concepts is a lot to ask.

In the end it is coming down to your expectations of your child. I expect that my child tries their best. If her best is a D then I am happy, but when I ask her if she tried her hardest she cringes and goes red. So I know she can try harder. So we are working on her effort.

Talk to his teacher and ask if there are any concerns with his work and if he is performing as expected. Well that is what I would do in any case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    trustno1, everything you've said is true, but this is not what I'm talking about. Of course there must be a balance, a child's life is not all about what he does or doesn't do at school - but there has been a change for my child, and I'm attempting to find out if many have noticed a change, or not.
    The most likely reason will be the teacher. I know that with my own children, and myself when I was at school, the changes in academic achievement change with the teacher. No teacher can teach the same as another teacher, so your child may not be as engaged as he was previously. The teacher may put different emphasis on things than previous teachers (ie. May be a little more generous with grading if they see effort, not just knowledge).
    I still don't see how the change would be concerning, unless it meant he was actually behind the average academic grading (C grade)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    We were also told an A means working two years above their grade, B is one year above, and C is working well at their grade level. So to get a B for his reading/spelling means he's working above his grade level, so is excellent.
    This is what we were told too. DS got C's this year for kinder, with B's in art and sport. I was pleased. DD got all A's except sport and art lol But DS is a boy, in his first year of school and still adjusting. Apparently boys don't tend to catch up until 8 or 9, so I have no issues with his report.

A C isn't like we had in school. It means they are right where they need to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 'no good at it because the teacher told me' would bother me. I'd talk to the teacher about that. If he's getting that message then there's too much pressure on him. If he's gone from Bs and Cs first term to Bs and As, then he's improved and I wouldn't be at all worried. I'd celebrate that he's improved.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I picked up DS report card today and I must say I'm happy with the structure. It isn't a simple ABC ... they receive a result for achievement, merit and effort.

I've attached a picture to show what I mean.

ETA: I'm happy with DS results - he is working at High level except for PE (poor kid takes after me ) and Computer and Media Studies he is at a Very High (nerdy like his dad ). The results I'm most proud of are his positive work attitude and his respect and social attitude he demonstrates towards his peers and teachers ... all E1 (exemplary effort), so very proud of my little man.

DS started prep last year with the new curriculum, so moving into Grade One he didn't have a big catch up to bring him into line with the new curriculum.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 21-06-2013 at 11:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep my DD started prep last year so we are used to C being a good mark! My DD got all C's and 1 B for Reading (she is 6 and reading at an 8 year old level) so not sure what would constitute an A??