+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Hypothetically, if you thought your child was gifted....

But didn't do anything about it, or pursue it. Do you think that is a bad or detrimental thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Of course not. I'm sure my dd1 is gifted but as she doesn't have any of the negative behavioral issues that gifted children can have, there is no point in labeling her. Her school is extending her appropriately, she's happy and we are happy.
    I was a gifted child but never got tested or labelled. It didn't do me any harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would depend if the child is having any resultant behavioural difficulties or not.

If no issues, then no - At school they will be extended and have lots of opportunities to do extra learning, so as a parent you don't really have to "do" anything if you don't want to, just let it happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It would only be a 'bad' thing if it caused the child undue stress - ie severe boredom and resultant poor behaviour at school.

If the child is happy, engaged and coping them nothing extra needs to happen.

Most good schools recognise a gifted child and have programs in place for G&T kids
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 20-06-2013 at 20:37.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not at all. I wouldn't bother getting assessments done (unless I was going for entry into a specific program like PIAC or a merit select school). I think you teach/stimulate kids in their areas of interest, up to the bounds of their knowledge.

Knowing their exact IQ wouldn't change how I would approach their learning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, there are issues with behavior, he isn't terrible or anything, just has his moments. His school wants him to see a psychologist. But I just don't see why we should. I don't see how he could be gifted if I have never noticed it? Aren't gifted kids really good a reading and writing and maths and all that stuff?

Thanks
    Reviews
    G&T kids can have a g/t in one area only and even struggle in another area (ie brilliant maths, cant read/write for nuts) or can be G&T in many areas.

If your child is bored, the school needs to engage him - but if he's disruptive AND there's an emotional issue maybe a pyche. would be a good idea.

Having a thorough check up can't hurt

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (20-08-2013),TimeForWine  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the school suggested something I'd be more willing to go along with it to make sure the child was getting the best education the school could offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It could be Apsie as well, but as with anything else, I don't want him to have a label if he doesn't need it. Plus they have taken Aspie of the DSM anyway, so what is the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it is causing issues...then, yes...not getting him tested would be a mistake.

I waited for quite a while even though he was having lots of issues and I regret that now.

this article sums it up for me http://voices.yahoo.com/do-gifted-ch...60.html?cat=25

DS saw a pysch and they were great...he saw them 6 times for 1-2 hours at a time. They did testing and also spoke to him about various things and then the report I got afterwards was fantastic.

The tips I got, the info for school, the support...all of it has helped DS beyond words.

They also picked up an auditory processing issue and knowledge of that has also made a massive difference (we knew he was sensitive to certain noises but had no idea just how pervasive it was).

I would say there is no harm in testing...but a lot to gain.