+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Omigod - it is like we are twins. Me too!! I made the mistake of watching the third and I felt SO deflated. But the first to are just so brilliant. Everything about them, the cast is brilliant, they did such a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I adore the first two movies but refuse to acknowledge the third.

Honestly though, I do regularly re-read the books. I really love them.

And right now I have the music from the movies running through my head.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There was so much wrong with the third. So. Much.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-06-2013),MissMuppet  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love the Anne books. I still reread them now. And I actually managed to get my DH to read them! He got hooked and voluntarily read the entire series. I love the first movie too. Oh Anne and Gilbert, still gives me goosebumps.

to the person with the DS who loves diggers, trucks etc - try Terry Pratchetts Wings/Diggers/Trucks books.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (21-06-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    And spinning wildly off topic in a whole Anne of Green Gables direction, did you guys see this? (You'll need to scroll a little)

http://jezebel.com/5978457/the-bell-...eous-makeover/

And this brilliant review of the cover on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/1...RankDescending

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    And spinning wildly off topic in a whole Anne of Green Gables direction, did you guys see this? (You'll need to scroll a little)

And this brilliant review of the cover on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/1...RankDescending
    Nooo !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-06-2013)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I have a gifted child, and I knew at 4 months old when she started to talk. Yep, she said mum quite clearly at 4 months and was speaking in fluent sentences at 12 months. She was reading Harry Potter easily in kinder. So in my experience, yes you can tell from a tot. Maybe not always, but often you can.
    My DD too - first word at four months - "up"and then jerking her body up and down trying to get me to lift her up in a game, and full sentences well and truly by 12 months.

I also keep my mouth shut with most other parents - no-one is interested in hearing about her. I used to try but got the glazed eyes, and very early on - a lot of disbelievers. I just think ... meh now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblena For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there is a big misconception of what the term gifted means. They don't all throw themselves into novels, science, Maths etc. Giftedness is more a term for how they think & perceive things. Most of them are extremely academic. My son however had the potential to be, but instead throws himself into afl & is 'over academic' stuff. He has his own football league with teams, players & it's own complex history. He suffers from intense heightened emotions & anxiety. So to the parents who feel like making snide remarks you have no idea how hard & utterly heartbreaking it can be at times. To hear your 6 year old tell you they wish they weren't alive so they didn't have to keep feeling so anxious about dying, is not worth bragging about. Maybe you should research Giftedness a bit more before you feel the need to judge!

My Ds spoke early, could recognize numbers & letters by 15 months. Worked with numbers in the millions by 3& remembered everything. He would tell me street names from an area we had been too once like a year before. Sounds silly but i didn't think anything of it. Until his kindy suggested I have him tested!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessleader View Post
    and spinning wildly off topic in a whole anne of green gables direction, did you guys see this? (you'll need to scroll a little)

and this brilliant review of the cover on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/1...rankdescending
    Whyyyy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    I think there is a big misconception of what the term gifted means. They don't all throw themselves into novels, science, Maths etc. Giftedness is more a term for how they think & perceive things. Most of them are extremely academic. My son however had the potential to be, but instead throws himself into afl & is 'over academic' stuff. He has his own football league with teams, players & it's own complex history. He suffers from intense heightened emotions & anxiety. So to the parents who feel like making snide remarks you have no idea how hard & utterly heartbreaking it can be at times. To hear your 6 year old tell you they wish they weren't alive so they didn't have to keep feeling so anxious about dying, is not worth bragging about. Maybe you should research Giftedness a bit more before you feel the need to judge!

My Ds spoke early, could recognize numbers & letters by 15 months. Worked with numbers in the millions by 3& remembered everything. He would tell me street names from an area we had been too once like a year before. Sounds silly but i didn't think anything of it. Until his kindy suggested I have him tested!
    But the term gifted merely means testing above the 90th centile in one or more areas, such as maths, literacy etc. if your child has a concurrent anxiety disorder, ADHD etc I can fully understand the need for psychological help. But I don't see the need for expensive testing and labeling if they have no other issues apart from being in the top 90th centile of the population.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    But the term gifted merely means testing above the 90th centile in one or more areas, such as maths, literacy etc. if your child has a concurrent anxiety disorder, ADHD etc I can fully understand the need for psychological help. But I don't see the need for expensive testing and labeling if they have no other issues apart from being in the top 90th centile of the population.
    Anxiety etc often comes hand in hand with Giftedness, not as a seperate disorder! They can have other disorders but a lot of gifted children have these over excitabilities too. Gifted children don't just have a high IQ (sometimes this can be the case but not often). As I said in the other thread you know your child it's up to you as to whether you want to get them tested. I just dislike Giftedness being misinterpreted by people who don't have a full understanding!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (23-06-2013)