+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Very interesting. My DD displays a lot of gifted signs but I wouldn't call her gifted, just a quick learner.
    Eg she knew the alphabet at 18 months, my 16 month old will be no where near that early in talking let alone reciting the alphabet
    I'm a bit the same. My DS1 could recognise 0-11 at 21 months and 2 digit numbers by 2.5. I don't regard him as gifted but has an incredible memory and learns easily. DS2 on the other hand is almost 17 months and is flat out saying mum dad nan etc! Totally different but that's ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think jumping in too early with the whole gifted label can be a mistake. At young age it can be memory or it can be gifted...but, letting them explore their areas of interest and keeping them happy and learning is a great thing.

The comments from other parents are not easy either...i have had many nasty ones over the years...often veiled as jokes or "compliments"...but, i can sort of understand as everyone wants to think their child is awesome so they put down ones that stand out. People who have not got a gifted child...do not understand just how hard and heartbreaking and challenging it can be. Having a child who is not progressing as "normal" is hard whether it be above or below.

They don't do any formal testing till at least 4... and I wouldn't rush it but if they start having issues (social, emotional) then i highly recommend it as it truely changed my sons life.

It is very hard to speak to other parents about it...don't get disheartened...choose schools very very carefully and aim for one with a support group for parents of g&t kids if you can.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 was a gifted child (now a 20yr old uni student). It's definitely hard work!! He showed signs very early on. At 2 he astounded his kindy teacher by drawing a complete smiley face with joined circles for the face and eyes. At 6 he was reading at a year 10 high school level. The key was always providing items like books, puzzles etc at his level. Some teachers were really great, others tried to dumb him down so watch out for that. Once he got to yr5 he went into an Opportunity Class and then went to a Selective High School so things got better because the work was catered to gifted children and he was among peers of a similar level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I remind the uphelpful commenters in this thread that it is in the gifted section of the forum, not in the general discussion area. If you want to pick on gifted children, then this section of the forum is not the place to do that.

I appreciate that you might think that identifying gifted children early is hard to do, but the literature out there does support that you can identify gifted children (not all, but many) very early on and you definitely do not need to wait until school age.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (20-06-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (21-06-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (21-06-2013),Mod-Zeddie  (20-06-2013),River Song  (20-06-2013),WiseOldOwl  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    It always amuses me the passive aggressive responses anything about gifted children gets......

Heaven forbid people have gifted children and talk about them. ffs.
    Especially in the "gifted children" section of the forum. C'mon! What other content do they expect to find here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    It always amuses me the passive aggressive responses anything about gifted children gets......

Heaven forbid people have gifted children and talk about them. ffs.
    If you have a gifted child, get used to it I've learned on BH and IRL you can brag about anything your child does that makes them special, but heaven forbid your child's intelligence makes them special, it's met with PA and rude comments, that you are being competitive, exaggerating etc.

I have a gifted child, and I knew at 4 months old when she started to talk. Yep, she said mum quite clearly at 4 months and was speaking in fluent sentences at 12 months. She was reading Harry Potter easily in kinder. So in my experience, yes you can tell from a tot. Maybe not always, but often you can.

It's water off a ducks back now My gifted child is the most unco kid you have ever seen But I would never insult a parent whose child was a brilliant cross country runner or dancer or fantastic at art. It's a taboo to have a gifted child, simple.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (21-06-2013),Oblena  (21-06-2013),River Song  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I have a gifted child, and I knew at 4 months old when she started to talk. Yep, she said mum quite clearly at 4 months and was speaking in fluent sentences at 12 months. She was reading Harry Potter easily in kinder. So in my experience, yes you can tell from a tot. Maybe not always, but often you can
    Delirium, that's crazy!! I'm staring at my 15wk old right now, imagining him saying mum. He doesn't even chuckle properly yet, I couldn't comprehend a word emerging. I think I'd fall to the floor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Delirium, that's crazy!! I'm staring at my 15wk old right now, imagining him saying mum. He doesn't even chuckle properly yet, I couldn't comprehend a word emerging. I think I'd fall to the floor
    My DS, who is a bright, wonderful child, didn't say more than half a dozen words until 2. But yeah.... I got the rolly eye IRL when I told someone she said mum at 4 months and Dad days after. We have her on video at 7 months saying several words. I've learned to keep quiet, except to people I'm close to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Delirium...my niece was similar. SHe said mum for the first time when she was 7 months and was speaking in sentences at 12 months. My DS was a bit "slow" compared to her but his first word was "thank you" when he was 9 months lol He didn't sa mum for another month or so rofl. We had so little contact with others with kids that neither of us realised it was not normal.

I was not meaning to sound dismissive about calling toddlers gifted...more not to rush to labels until if will be of benefit to the child.I am a big believer in following the lead of the child where ever possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post

I was not meaning to sound dismissive about calling toddlers gifted...more not to rush to labels until if will be of benefit to the child.I am a big believer in following the lead of the child where ever possible.
    Oh I completely agree. It can be a lot of pressure. Not once have I said the word gifted with DD, although clearly she knows she is special. My frustration is, like I say, the taboo that shrouds the subject. If someone said, my DD is an amazing ballet dancer or my son is state motocross champ, I would say wow, what a fab achievement, you must be so proud.