+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *Spin off* How can you tell if your toddler is gifted?

I thought I'd share a few links with info about gifted toddlers:

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/10-...d-2500544.html - very brief description of things to look for

http://voices.yahoo.com/5-developmen...02.html?cat=25 - This is also an ok summary. But, not all gifted toddlers through tantrums. My ds could express himself very well very early on, so that stopped most tantrums. Then he got olde rand more frustrated. He still throw tantrums now at 6 at times. grr!

http://www.giftsforlearning.com/traits.htm - I disagree with the point that gifted kids all sleep less. It's simply not the case, but it definitely can be.

http://giftedkids.about.com/od/gifte...ftedtraits.htm - a good summary

Then if you are talking about slightly older children this list is REALLY helpful - http://presentlygifted.org/2012/08/2...ifted-learner/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally my ds had very advanced speech (once he got grommets at 15 months). My 21 months he was reliably pointing to 5 different letters on signs wherever we went and he was speaking in complex sentences. One thing that was pivotal in our understanding of his brain was when he was just 3 years old and he went with my dh to a place where my dh goes for work (albeit infrequently & we don't really talk about it all). My ds had been there at 23 months old for a work Christmas function (which we didn't discuss again from our memory). Anyway, my dh told ds where they were going and said "You remember, where we went for the Christmas party" and ds then said he did remember it and gave a detailed account of what happened at the party. He was recalling events from over 12 months earlier that happened before he even turned 2!! Talk about freaky!

Our dd is only 20 months old, but I was googling signs of the gifted toddler today as it seems she's very much heading in that direction. 6 weeks ago she had 2 words (Mum & Dad) then suddenly she's had a massive speech explosion and is frequently using 3 words phrases. She is intensely curious (and unfortunately a lot quicker and more physically talented than our ds so she gets up to SERIOUS mischief!). The thing that has made me pay more attention is the fact that she can point to the number 2 & various colours reliably. It's only happened in the last week and it seems like she is following her brothers lead. I must say with a 2nd child it's not so scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very interesting. My DD displays a lot of gifted signs but I wouldn't call her gifted, just a quick learner.
    Eg she knew the alphabet at 18 months, my 16 month old will be no where near that early in talking let alone reciting the alphabet
    Last edited by MummaOJ; 20-06-2013 at 18:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing so I can come back and read later. Thanks mim1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My child satisfies much of that list, but I would not call him gifted. I think 'gifted' is a term that is really overused.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

F&A  (21-06-2013),MsViking  (21-06-2013),Spotdog  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter covered everything in those lists and is performing at 'above age level' for most subjects at school (grade 1/second year of school), and is a part of the schools extension group and I can wholeheartedly assure you that she is NOT gifted. She is bright, yes, she is inquisitive and interested in lots of things, she performs at a higher level than a lot of her classmates, but she is not gifted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    My daughter covered everything in those lists and is performing at 'above age level' for most subjects at school (grade 1/second year of school), and is a part of the schools extension group and I can wholeheartedly assure you that she is NOT gifted. She is bright, yes, she is inquisitive and interested in lots of things, she performs at a higher level than a lot of her classmates, but she is not gifted.
    Yep. This exactly for my DS1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    But if she meets all of those criteria she is gifted then! It's just a label for kids that meet a certain iq or gain a certain score on a test, it's not a medical or psychiatric diagnosis such as autism.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has a special gift, he is 2.5 and ends most sentences by saying, "poop poop" and then blows a raspberry.

More seriously though, no my children are not gifted except they all put in 100% effort into everything they do.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (21-06-2013)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It always amuses me the passive aggressive responses anything about gifted children gets......

Heaven forbid people have gifted children and talk about them. ffs.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TimeForWine For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (20-06-2013),Cdro  (20-06-2013),delirium  (20-06-2013),Jarylee  (23-06-2013),mim1  (20-06-2013),Mysurprisebaby  (02-11-2013),Oblena  (21-06-2013),onedayatatime  (20-06-2013)