+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It is not about punishing people at all. It is about making government money accountable. I don't know if this system will work or should be implemented. However, Australia can not continue to support the non-working etc without any limitations. I'm am certainly not saying that all people on welfare are doing the wrong thing with the payments they receive. It just can't be seen as their money as it isn't, it is the tax paying communities, so therefore there needs to be some restrictions to how it is spent and what the money is intended for i.e. children, rent, food, electricity etc. I'm sure from my understanding of the system is that participants still receive some cash for other items. From what I also understand it is not in regards to FTB just Newstart etc.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It does punish people who do not need to be on it. There are already plenty of limitations associated with Newstart, trust me.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-06-2013),beebs  (20-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am against it on a few levels;

- It will draw further stigma to those receiving Centrelink as it will be obvious to all that they receive benefits when they pay with a special card. This will cause further divide between the 'the haves and have nots'

- It is a band aid solution and will not solve the problems it was introduced to solve.

- If we do this for those on Centrelink then the same should be done to those who earn an income and gamble, neglect their children etc. No politician would introduce this as it is not a move that would win any votes yet politicians have no problem doing this to the already marginalised sectors of the community.

- I oppose most things that deny personal autonomy.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-06-2013),babybabycakes  (20-06-2013),beebs  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenstar View Post
    It is not about punishing people at all. It is about making government money accountable. I don't know if this system will work or should be implemented. However, Australia can not continue to support the non-working etc without any limitations. I'm am certainly not saying that all people on welfare are doing the wrong thing with the payments they receive. It just can't be seen as their money as it isn't, it is the tax paying communities, so therefore there needs to be some restrictions to how it is spent and what the money is intended for i.e. children, rent, food, electricity etc. I'm sure from my understanding of the system is that participants still receive some cash for other items. From what I also understand it is not in regards to FTB just Newstart etc.
    Are you saying people who receive welfare are not part of the "tax paying community"? Most welfare payments are taxable income (well they were when I received ausstudy many years ago). Ftb is a tax adjustment to redress the inequity of an individually-based tax system.

And I would say most people would pay tax at other points in their life. Like I said, I once received ausstudy. This year alone I paid $33,500 tax.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The story that ran last night about this stated that it is not intended for all people on benefits only for those 'at risk' of mismanaging money. For eg a welfare agency may contact centrelink in regards to children's basic needs being neglected and suggest the family be issued a basics card in an attempt to have the money spent on food, bills and clothing.

It also stated that up to 70% of benefits would be available through the basics card so the recipient would still receive 30% of there entitlements in cash so to speak.

Personally I think it's a fantastic idea especially for the long term unemployed, may encourage them to look a little harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes at least they are paying tax to cover some of the things that they do use though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a terrible idea.

I would prefer to see a well thought out financial advice service made available. Maybe even with something similar that is purely voluntary. That way the people that would like help improving their financial situation would have it. And the majority that are already wise with their money can continue on as they see fit.

The only winners I can see with the Basics Card are the few that would like help, but aren't receiving it - AND big corporations like Coles, Wollies etc.

I also dislike the fact that the government are getting more and more involved in the nitty gritty of people's personal lives. I don't think that is their place to be frank.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think if it was a standard issued card for everyone receiving payments it would be embarrasing and separating the rich from the poor even more, as well as the [already mentioned] limitations on places to shop.

It does have benefits though, it may mean more food is going into little mouths in the cases of those parents that currently have their priorities muddled up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, clearly there are families out there who do need help with their budgeting, whether that's through addiction, unwise choices or something else altogether.

I just can't help thinking there has to be a better way?

The more I think about issues like this, the more I am convinced it is society in general that is letting each other down. The government can not care for people the same way that individuals do.

Clearly these are very complex issues.

It freaks me out to see us following the US more and more on social policies!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested to hear from some of the BH social workers about their views on this. Anyone online?