+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I knew a girl who lived in the US for a few years. She said that they had a program where she lived where they got given a box of food from the Government (every month, I think?), to supplement their grocery shopping.

I think it was this:http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/programs/csfp/csfp_faqs.htm

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) works to improve the health of low-income pregnant and breastfeeding women, other new mothers up to one year postpartum, infants, children up to age six, and elderly people at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA foods.

CSFP food packages do not provide a complete diet, but rather are good sources of the nutrients typically lacking in the diets of the target population.

Food packages include a variety of foods, such as infant formula and cereal, nonfat dry and ultra high temperature fluid milk, juice, farina, oats, ready-to-eat cereal, rice, pasta, peanut butter, dry beans, canned meat or poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's a good idea, if they tweaked it a bit to work with all eftpos machines, and allowed a small amount to be withdrawn (so if you wanted to go out, buy something off the list or save for something you still could).
    I've seen and worked with kids who's parents drink/smoke/gamble away all their payments and its so sad.
    I also don't think it's right that government money is spent on this stuff . It may encourage people to get some extra work to pay for their habits.
    I can see how it could be worked around, but hopefully they will investigate any suspicious card activity.

I also wanted to add, I'm also on a payment and would have no issues with getting a card like this.
    I also know this isn't going to be a popular post, and generally Im against things that restrict peoples choices but something should be done to make sure money given to support families actually reaches those families.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abubby View Post
    I think it's a great idea. As someone who constantly sees children go without the basics (food and clothing) it may just help those parents take better care if their children. The amount of times I've seen and heard parents gloat about their new tattoo but their child has no lunch in their lunch boxes or decent shoes on their feet. It's good for the kids...hopefully they will get what they need.
    I completely agree with the above post.
    I too have unfortunately seen tattoos/booze/smokes/clubbing/drugs come before a child's basic needs and paying rent, bills ect. It's sad the government has to look at this as an option but the reality is that some people misuse the money and kids are going hungry.
    I imagine the card will work on a murchant code and if so I think it will be open to most places where they have eftpos facilities unless they are a bottle o or pokies venue so I doubt it will be that restricted. As for small business getting an eftpos machine is not that expensive and may be claimable at tax time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sandy cheeks For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think that the majority should pay for what the minority do.

Does this apply to the FTB payments or just actual centrelink allowance?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add this should be used on a case by case basis. Not a blanket scheme

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (20-06-2013),~ElectricPink~  (20-06-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It stupid if the government thinks giving them this "basic card" is going to fix their addiction or teach them money managing skills they are kidding themselves !!!

I know a few people on them & there are ways around getting cash

1 person buys gift cards on there basic card (some check out people don't allow it but most do especially the young ones)

Another just goes shopping with family or friends pays for it on their basic card then gets the cash off the friend of family member

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    It stupid if the government thinks giving them this "basic card" is going to fix their addiction or teach them money managing skills they are kidding themselves !!!

I know a few people on them & there are ways around getting cash

1 person buys gift cards on there basic card (some check out people don't allow it but most do especially the young ones)

Another just goes shopping with family or friends pays for it on their basic card then gets the cash off the friend of family member
    Perfect example of why its another "bandaid" solution to a complex problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally speaking I'm against it. If I was on C'link I'd be screwed because I do a lot of my shopping at smaller fruit and veg shops, butchers etc, where it is MUCH cheaper. I also budget according to my needs for that week. Some weeks I spend very little on food so I can pay for something big, like furniture or something, which if you are money-wise and buy second-hand off gumtree or ebay, this card will be useless. I also don't like the way larger companies will have more of a monopoly on the market (or smaller, very expensive 'corner stores' that will be happy to rort the system in many cases, and sell booze for extravagant amounts).

On the other hand, when we were completely reliant on C'link for our income, I would've been happy for half of it to be on a 'basics card or something similar to go straight onto rent, power bills etc. In remote Indigenous communities many women have felt it makes their lives a bit easier because they are not 'humbugged' for money as much by their partners for grog/cards, so they are able to use the money for food and for the kids etc.

Overall though, I disagree with it on principle coz I hate this idea that people who are not as well off should 'just be happy with what we throw at them' type thing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-06-2013),Boobycino  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it should apply to all but for many unemployed receiving just a newstart payment (if its still called that) then I think it's a good idea.

{text removed by Moderator}
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 20-06-2013 at 18:09. Reason: not in the spirit of BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    Isn't it the money of the community? Being taken from the many to be redistributed to those in need. I think the community has a right to know that money being given to the needy is being spent as it is intended.

I don't think the communities money should go to the pokies, or to drug dealers, or spent on holidays. I do think some (but not excessive) alcohol should be considered ok.

I agree with pp, it is a shame about small business / markets / speciality needs etc. I think if the govt could overcome this challenge it is a great idea.

If they get the card working properly with a wide range of outlets and providers able to accept the card, the people who are doing the right thing today shouldn't notice any difference.
    I agree it is not their money, so therefore there needs to be accountability to where it is spent. Similar to government depts, I know schools have to account and justify government money spent. I too have seen far too many children with no food, lack of clothing and school resources it is sad that the money that is supposed to b for their welfare is abused.

Something needs to be done, I hope they allow a wide variety of businesses be accepted to ensure those who do the right thing still have some choice.