+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Part time working mum really struggling

Hello,
    About 2 months ago I went back to work after being home with my DD for 2 and a half years.
    I work 3 days a week and its great to be earning money again and have my mind working more. However I am struggling with keeping on top of everything at home, my house is a disaster. Every room is somewhat of a mess, I manage to wash the clothes but never get them folded and put away. The bathrooms are way overdue for a clean and everything is just so unorganised.
    I feel like on my days off all I'm doing is cleaning and cooking and im not spending any quailty time with DD.
    worst of all I am putting on weight, after working so hard to lose 20kgs over the last 12months. I try to meal plan but it rarely goes to plan. I have less time to exercise now and I'm so freaking exhausted all the time.

I just feel so overwhelmed with everything right now. Any tips?
    How do all you working mums fit it all in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

I went back to work when my son was 15 months old. He is now 2.5 years old. What you said was exactly my life! !! Still is. I travel over an hour to get to work and on way home it takes longer. I work 2 days a week and I was still unorganised/house of chaos. ..try to meal plan and not be at home catching up. .. to be honest I never caught up. I wouldn't touch housework on my days I worked. I could barely cook a meal. I'm not a fan of making big batches and freezing things. I want interacting with my son enough on my days off. Only started playgroup 2 months ago!! My solution for me personally was to quit work!!! Which I did. My last week is next week. I've got hobbies I'm into and next year am thinking of studying again. I know it seems crazy and it's not for everyone as a solution but I feel I've made the right decision for me and my family. Sorry couldn't offer more useful advice.

Does your husband help out at home? Move does and it's a big burden of my shoulders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I work part time of 30hrs a week. We leave the house at 6am and dont get back home til after 3 most days as we have to catch public transport. Between work and school for my son, i struggle with house work. I had a cleaner at 1 stage. She was an angel. I wish she never had to leave. I cant afford another one atm so try and do little bits at a time. Washing every 2 days, dishes as soon as i use them or if there is only a few cups and maybe a bowl, i will leave til the next day and maybe do 5mins of vacuuming. I do little as i am so tired and need to also concentrate on my health so i dont get sick again as once i get sick, i cant parent yet alone look after myself.

Just do what you can do. Try not to stress over it as its not worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I work full time and my house isn't too bad. I literally don't sit down to relax until at least 10pm, so from the time we get home at 6pm I'm doing stuff. I just squeeze I cleaning when I can. I'd love to be able to only work a couple of days, my house would be immaculate! Lol

It probably helps that because we're all out of the house 50 hours a week we're not there to mess it up so much. I always have more to do if I'm home more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What if you made one day a week 'cleaning day' so that day you do a full house clean, do all the washing, maybe cool one or 2 meals to freeze for the nights you really can't be bothered. There was a post about organizing the other week, someone chops all their fruit & vege at once and keeps it in seperate containers so less prep time for cooking. Have you tried doing a meal plan type thing? Does hubby help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, my hubby helps a little bit. He just doesn't see the mess that I do I swear he walks around with his eyes closed. He has just volunteered take over the cooking for 2 nights per week, 1 week day & 1 weekend so that will help. He works away for a couple of nights every 2/3weeks and also works late regularly so I don't him to worry about doing too much.
    I just need to organise the cleaning a bit better I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would like to just have a cleaning day and do everything in 1 day but can't do that with a 2.5yr old that wants attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would honestly set aside particular times to do the big things, and make sure you have some days where you do very little housework. When I worked 5 days per week I set aside half of Saturday to do the big things (proper vacuum, mop, bathrooms etc) and had Sunday for DS and myself. When the laundry gets on top of me I haul everything down to the laundromat and put 3 washers and 2 dryers on and get the entire lot DONE in one go. Then I sit down at the end of the night when DS is in bed and have a glass of wine, put some good tv on and fold it in peace. I also always made time for myself for exercise or just me. Even if it meant the house got a bit messy while I was gone. I think it's important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 5 days per week 9 - 3, I do a lot of cleaning/washing/folding etc after DS goes to bed/before he wakes up, so that I dont have to do it on weekends. I dont do it all in one night either so that its spread out.

Its just DS and I so my house doesnt seem to get *that* messy anyway. I quick tidyup and its usally in order.

I only do washing once a week, two loads. I put my washing on in the morning before he wakes then hang out when we get home. He runs around the back with me or rides his bike and we talk and play together while im hanging the washing out. Or same if the washing needs to come off. Fold your washing as you are taking it off the line so that if it does stay in the basket (like mine does for a few days) its folded and not scrunched. Next load gets put on when we get home and i hang out when he's in bed.

Bathroom gets done when he's either at his dads or on a day he's gone to bed early. Him and I 9 times out of 10 shower together to kill two birds with one stone.

Wipe downs/dusting, vacumming and mopping get done after he's asleep also.

I play with DS while cooking. I am a naughty mum and we'll kick/throw a soft ball to each other from the lounge to the kitchen. Or he'll sneak up and i'll chase him. Or he'll hide and I have to find him. ..... all while the cooking is happening. Or if he hasnt had a day nap, this is when i'd give him an early shower by himself and cook and shower him at the same time.

I think in time you'll find different methods that work for you.

ETA: On the exercise front. You may find that if you find the time to exercise you'll then have more energy. I've had to stop our morning walks and most arvo ones plus 1 sport from DS and I continuously being sick and my energy levels are definitely lower than when I was exercising.
    Last edited by Bennos Mummy; 20-06-2013 at 14:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do small things everyday. ie clean bathroom whilst DD is in the bath
    Get groceries / veggies delivered.
    Fold/iron whilst watching TV at night
    I also make food ahead for work nights - just the usuals of bolognese or curry to make dinnertime hassle free