Closed Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day it comes down to caring what other people think and being afraid. I don't care what other people think about my sons if they choose to wear something society deems "girly" and if people want to judge my parenting based on what my sons wear well that's their issue. If anyone ever dared mention something nasty to my sons I'd stick up for them in a calm, adult manner so he could see that there is nothing wrong or shameful in dressing how he pleases. I'd rather teach my children to be brave and be themselves than to hide who they are for fear of close-minded people teasing them.

Love this pic too.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1371821643.966824.jpg

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BohemianGypsy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-06-2013),Elijahs Mum  (22-06-2013),GreenMama  (22-06-2013),IndigoJ  (22-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (22-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (22-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (22-06-2013),snowqu33n  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Gender roles are outdated IMO. We generally avoid teaching them to our children- and I have children at school. I have entirely been known to buy clothing for my children in the 'other' department without concern.
    True. I agree but we also have to teach our kids what's out there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because the reality is that ppl out there exist that will cross their paths that they will have to learn how to deal with. It's all good to teach them too be themselves but not everything is going to be okay and la di da all the time.

How would you expect a young boy who says has a free dress day at school in primary school who actually turns up to school in a dress?? What would you think would happen in this instance?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (22-06-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    For those that don't like their son to wear 'girlie' clothes/dress ups, would they feel the same if their daughter wanted to wear 'boy' clothes/dress ups such as superman, spiderman, wiggles etc?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just want to add that I saw some pictures of Shiloh Jolie-Pitt yesterday and she looks like such a happy confident girl! I think she's so lucky to have parents who have let her unconditionally express herself however she wants to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How I see it is, if my son says "mummy I want to wear a dress today" if I say "sure thing" and he wears a dress then he's learnt it's totally okay for boys to wear dresses.

If I say no, because it's not okay for boys to wear dresses, then he sees another little boy wearing a dress, and he's learnt from me that it's not okay for boys to wear dresses. Then he might tell that boy that it's not okay for him to be wearing a dress.

Most likely if my son wants to wear a dress it's probably not a reflection on his gender but on his innocence. But there is a chance it is, and I want my children to know that no matter what anyone else says, no matter if someone else teaches their kids it's not okay, my children will always be okay by me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-06-2013),beebs  (22-06-2013),Benji  (23-06-2013),BlissedOut  (22-06-2013),BohemianGypsy  (22-06-2013),GreenMama  (22-06-2013),Hootenanny  (22-06-2013),Lillynix  (22-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (22-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (22-06-2013),Tainted  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    For those that don't like their son to wear 'girlie' clothes/dress ups, would they feel the same if their daughter wanted to wear 'boy' clothes/dress ups such as superman, spiderman, wiggles etc?
    Did anyone say they had a problem with dress ups? I havent read that unless i missed a post?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Did anyone say they had a problem with dress ups? I havent read that unless i missed a post?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm talking about if they want to go out in public with the dress up on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Because the reality is that ppl out there exist that will cross their paths that they will have to learn how to deal with. It's all good to teach them too be themselves but not everything is going to be okay and la di da all the time.

How would you expect a young boy who says has a free dress day at school in primary school who actually turns up to school in a dress?? What would you think would happen in this instance?
    I don't have a problem with telling children that not everyone will like what they're wearing or might tease them but I would also talk with them about what that means and some strategies to deal with it. It's the other person's problem, not theirs, and that is something they will always have to face in life, be it about how they dress, what they do and numerous other choices in life. All people need to learn tolerance and respect, I would think this would give a child some insight into respecting the choices of others.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-06-2013),ChickyBee  (22-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I want my children to know that no matter what anyone else says, no matter if someone else teaches their kids it's not okay, my children will always be okay by me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Love love love this !

My 2.5 DS has not really asked or is around any little girls to try on a tutu or dress yet but rocks a totally cool pink polo shirt and mauve board shorts! But his dad also wears pink and purple polos and business shirts so to him those colours are not just for girls and I love that!