Closed Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    For some reason it's not letting me quote.

Clothing may not be a major parenting issue but enabling a child to freely express themselves in however format they chose, without fear of ridicule is a very important issue to me. At home they will be encouraged to sing, dance, act, create etc without fear of 'failure' in however format they chose.

Another important issue for me is to curb the bombardment of societal expectations that my child will be faced in regard to their gender and the way they are allegedly supposed to dress, behave, pursue and be rewarded.
    I agree with you in regards to my own son. I just don't mind if others don't feel the same in regards to theirs as long as they don't have any issues with what mine is wearing 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only have girls so I'm sure if we were to have a boy he would probably experiment with their dress up clothes etc.

I would not intentionally buy girls clothes for my son though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only comments on how cute he looks and how happy he was wearing it and that he didnt want to take it off

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have a daughter so those clothes were bought for him.

Hes very girly. He loves putting makeup on himself. ..pretends to straighten his hair, has a handbag he takes everywhere. ...loves heels

When shopping he points to girls clothes and says thats pretty and grabs stuff when walking past that he wants.
    Thats how it came about for my ds...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, I wouldn't and haven't batted an eyelid when I've seen little boys dressed like your DS.

My DS1 used to come to school pick up wearing a tracky, Dora boots, wings, a rainbow beany and goggles!

Clothes don't make the man.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

missymoo9  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missymoo9 View Post
    I dont have a daughter so those clothes were bought for him.

Hes very girly. He loves putting makeup on himself. ..pretends to straighten his hair, has a handbag he takes everywhere. ...loves heels

When shopping he points to girls clothes and says thats pretty and grabs stuff when walking past that he wants.
    Thats how it came about for my ds...
    I think your best bet is to let him express himself. He might later decide he wants pants and t shirts with truck motifs, he might not. Either way, he's lucky to have a mum who lets him be himself.
    I think the outfit in the photo was great! I bet everyone that saw him couldn't help but smile

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww he looks cute! I think it's great he is free to express himself as he wants to. The greatest gift my mum gave me was loving me for who I was, even though I was a much different person to her.

When he looks back to how he went to kindy in fairy wings he'll remember it as a cute quirky thing he did as a kid rather than recalling the time his mum made him feel ashamed for wanting to express himself that way. I know which message I'd want my kid to receive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (20-06-2013),Atropos  (20-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    What's amusing to me is no one asks those who are fine with it to justify their opinions but those of us who don't agree with it have to justify the norm?? The irony kills me!!
    Wasn't it you asking another poster if they had evidence to support their opinion?
    Irony indeed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    What's amusing to me is no one asks those who are fine with it to justify their opinions but those of us who don't agree with it have to justify the norm?? The irony kills me!!
    Okay, so let's say I say "I like the colour blue, do you like the colour blue?" and you say " I like the colour blue too" I say "that's cool! "

Alternatively you say "I don't like the colour blue" then Id say "oh, why not?"

No irony... Just... How conversations seem to go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't care what my kids wear. Clothing is a great way to express yourself!

This is an extreme POV, but I have a transgender friend who was born a male but identified as female from a very young age. Her parents wouldn't let her dress the way she wanted, made her dress in typical boy clothes and shamed her for wanting to wear dresses/typical girly things. She now says this damaged her more than anything else on her entire transgender journey. She says the stupid comments from narrow minded strangers you can brush off, but having your own parents act ashamed of you hurts more than you can imagine.

I am in no way saying any child who dresses in the opposite sexes clothing is transgender of course. Just saying I think it's important for children to be allowed to express themselves, clothing included.

If society were more accepting, we wouldn't even have this conversation!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-06-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast