Closed Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    And if you're worried you'd offend others with your reasons, well, I'm just more curious of the values your children are picking up on if they couldn't possibly be allowed to express themselves, whilst having fun in a dress.

*I can haz typos*
    Please don't start with assumptions that my child wouldn't be allowed to express themselves and especially don't assume that I or my child don't have good values because I don't agree with a boy wearing a fairy outfit in public. That's just utterly ridiculous!!

I've respected the views of others who don't have a problem with it so I expect the same respect in return. I am answering the OP's question so please keep your judgements about my values to yourself and don't assume to know me because of an opinion I hold!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (20-06-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-06-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why can't those who are not ok with letting their sons out in girls clothes out in public have to justify why they aren't ok with it? Why can't it be just that? Brcause it doesn't agree with the other opinions? Why don't those who find nothing wrong with it automatically buy their kids clothes if the opposite sex? Like if your b out shopping then why not just pick out something from the girls section if you want them to express themselves freely and not have to conform to society's expectations or gender labeling?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (22-06-2013),cheekychook  (21-06-2013),ChickyBee  (20-06-2013),FirstTimeMummy2012  (20-06-2013),Purple Lily  (20-06-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-06-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes on here some ppl get flogged for having differing opinions so I don't blame some ppl for not wanting to express their opinions openly on certain topics.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (20-06-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really subscribe to the concept of "girls" clothes and "boys" clothes. Clothes are just clothes - if you can physically wear it (as in if it fits ok) and want to, then why should some arbitrary gender concept prevent you from doing so..?

If I had a son he'd be welcome to wear anything that would be appropriate for my dd and vice versa.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one DS and 3 DDs. My son can wear whatever he wants. I buy him clothes from the boy section but I'm partial to any colours for him.

He doesn't like when his older sisters dress him in fairy outfits and doesn't do it himself but he has taken a liking to wearing one of the girls pink crocheted headbands with a flower EVERYWHERE. It doesn't bother me of his dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Just curious but do you have evidence of this? I'm genuinely curious ...

To clarify I wouldn't have a problem with my son (if I had one) wanting to play and dress up at home but going out in a fairy outfit ... no, I wouldn't be ok with that with my own child.
    I didn't say "research says"...i said "i think"...so no, this is not an evidence based peer reviewed article...it is my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Please don't start with assumptions that my child wouldn't be allowed to express themselves and especially don't assume that I or my child don't have good values because I don't agree with a boy wearing a fairy outfit in public. That's just utterly ridiculous!!

I've respected the views of others who don't have a problem with it so I expect the same respect in return. I am answering the OP's question so please keep your judgements about my values to yourself and don't assume to know me because of an opinion I hold!
    I was simply wondering, out loud, that if you have reason that would most likely offend others, then, what types of things are the children going to pick up on? Blue for boys, pink for girls. It's demeaning to be seen as "girly" or feminine. That there's something wrong and bad about wanting to dress in something other than slacks/shorts. And so on and so forth. Was just putting my thoughts out there. No need to get your knickers in a twist

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    I didn't say "research says"...i said "i think"...so no, this is not an evidence based peer reviewed article...it is my opinion.
    No worries ... I just thought to make a big call like that it sounded like it would have evidence attached to it but if its just an opinion, no problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Why can't those who are not ok with letting their sons out in girls clothes out in public have to justify why they aren't ok with it? Why can't it be just that? Brcause it doesn't agree with the other opinions? Why don't those who find nothing wrong with it automatically buy their kids clothes if the opposite sex? Like if your b out shopping then why not just pick out something from the girls section if you want them to express themselves freely and not have to conform to society's expectations or gender labeling?
    I guess the main reason that I'd expect people to justify why they don't think their child should leave the house in gender 'inappropriate' clothing, is because that is what the OP was asking about.

Secondarily, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask someone why they restrict their child from doing something that other people think is ok. If you have good reasons for it, it seems strange to not want to explain them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I was simply wondering, out loud, that if you have reason that would most likely offend others, then, what types of things are the children going to pick up on? Blue for boys, pink for girls. It's demeaning to be seen as "girly" or feminine. That there's something wrong and bad about wanting to dress in something other than slacks/shorts. And so on and so forth. Was just putting my thoughts out there. No need to get your knickers in a twist

*I can haz typos*
    Put your thoughts out there all you like but don't insult people in the process and don't make assumptions of people you don't even know! Pffttt!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (20-06-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast