Closed Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    He has never seen a girl at football befor. Why would I bring it up out of no where that girls also play football?
    Why wouldn't you?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (23-06-2013),Lillynix  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He has never seen a girl at football befor. Why would I bring it up out of no where that girls also play football?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that you could have necessarily 'predicted' these situations and have discussed them 'before' they happened.

However when life throws a new situation at your child it is part of a parents role to help them navigate their way through it in the way you feel is best.

By choosing to 'not' address these concepts and ideas you have given him direction as a parent. The direction you gave (by saying nothing to the contrary) is;

1. It's ok to think that kids that dress differently to what you usually see is "lame"

2. That football is a boys game and not for girls.

Now, if these are your beliefs then I guess you navigated him in the way you wanted to.

I would prefer that you just missed the opportunity to realign his thinking.

I prefer to think that after the feedback you have received here you will be more attentive in future and won't let future opportunities pass you by....😉

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-06-2013),delirium  (22-06-2013),Lillynix  (22-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (22-06-2013),risfaerie  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS started playing league at age 5, my cousin is the coach and is a woman. for the first two years there was one little girl in the team and I must say, for the first season she was the best player in the team, none of the boys in the team ever said anything and were sad to lose her when she decided to stop.

This year when our team went to play another team, the other team began ribbing our kids, pointing and laughing that " they have a girl coach" and " a girl coach, we will flog them".
    Our team & parents were surprised and disappointed in this, where does it come from?
    Anyway we won and clearly were the better team!

I've worked in child care for many years and boys love putting dresses on, most of the time it's dad who isn't impressed.
    I picked my 2 year old DS up from daycare and he was wearing a wedding dress, loved it and had it on all day apparently. When we got home , I went to his DS dress up box and got him a dress, he loved it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mumzy1976 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-06-2013),missymoo9  (22-06-2013),snowqu33n  (23-06-2013)

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's aimed at 8-12 year olds I think. Kind of Roald Dahl in feel.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1371899444.224736.jpg
    Allow me to enlighten you BP.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1371899461.536268.jpg
    And although it is falling down, that is in public. At a park!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (22-06-2013),missymoo9  (22-06-2013)

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1371899724.732843.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1371899695.042103.jpg

And my other brother at 2, and again at mufti day ten years later

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-06-2013),giggle berry  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wish I could find my favourite photo of my brother in a dress! He loved them! Actually, he went out dressed as the Queen this Queen's birthday holiday!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

missymoo9  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bp's son said the word "lame" between him and his mum. He didn't go out and say it to anyone. Stop over analyzing everything. She didn't say she found it acceptable for him to bully anyone. It's just a word he used to describe what he thought. How do you know his mum taught him this word? !? You all assumed and attacked her for it and said that it was a reflection of her parenting. So none of your kids pick up things from other kids ever? And do they tell you every word of their conversation and situation they were in? Just like you want to teach your children to be accepting of others no matter how they look or dress, take your own advice.

Gender based clothes? So what?!?

None of you judge others for anything ever? You know in some parts in India some ppl defecate wherever they can find a spot in PUBLIC...a friend's ex husband witnessed that himself a few years ago. If your kid saw that in the streets of Melbourne or wherever you live would you say to your child oh that's ok or not judge because for that person it's normal! !! You would think it's disgusting wouldn't you?

And yes I know using public grounds as a toilet and boys wearing dresses are 2 different things but it goes to show that not everyone is not going to be okay with everything and they shouldn't have to be. Indians in india might think it's an ok thing to do but it sure as hell isn't acceptable in Australia.

I'll never let my son go out in a dress out in public ever. He can do what he wants at home. That's my choice and I really don't see the need for it either or see it as a supression of his personal expression.

What wr can do as parents is teach our children about different ppl out there and how to be tolerant of other people's differences, choices in life and religions/cultures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you a referring to a kilt then that is slightly different than wearing pink dress.
    What about the pacific islands? Men wear all different bright and colourful sulus in Fiji including, shock horror, ones with pink and purple!

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-06-2013),missymoo9  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Bp's son said the word "lame" between him and his mum. He didn't go out and say it to anyone. Stop over analyzing everything. She didn't say she found it acceptable for him to bully anyone. It's just a word he used to describe what he thought. How do you know his mum taught him this word? !? You all assumed and attacked her for it and said that it was a reflection of her parenting. So none of your kids pick up things from other kids ever? And do they tell you every word of their conversation and situation they were in? Just like you want to teach your children to be accepting of others no matter how they look or dress, take your own advice.

Gender based clothes? So what?!?

None of you judge others for anything ever? You know in some parts in India some ppl defecate wherever they can find a spot in PUBLIC...a friend's ex husband witnessed that himself a few years ago. If your kid saw that in the streets of Melbourne or wherever you live would you say to your child oh that's ok or not judge because for that person it's normal! !! You would think it's disgusting wouldn't you?

And yes I know using public grounds as a toilet and boys wearing dresses are 2 different things but it goes to show that not everyone is not going to be okay with everything and they shouldn't have to be. Indians in india might think it's an ok thing to do but it sure as hell isn't acceptable in Australia.

I'll never let my son go out in a dress out in public ever. He can do what he wants at home. That's my choice and I really don't see the need for it either or see it as a supression of his personal expression.

What wr can do as parents is teach our children about different ppl out there and how to be tolerant of other people's differences, choices in life and religions/cultures.
    You can't compare defecating in public and boys wearing dresses.... Not even at all. Not even following it up with "but it goes to show that not everyone is not going to be okay with everything and they shouldn't have to be. "

I'm not ok with someone defecating in public, because its illegal and unhygienic amongst other things. A boy wearing a dress? Who is that offending? A small group of frankly, pretty horrible people. Who gives a crap if you're not ok with it.... You're narrow minded. Simple as that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but no MY son did not say he would say to the child he thought it was lame. Your getting a bit silly now.

I asked 3 of my friends if they would let their sons wear a dress they all said no Nd thought I was joking.
    My mum was shocked that so many people were encouring their children to do this.

So wow I guess that means I'm a sexist bully, my ds is a sexist bully and so is m mum, friends, husband and husbands family.
    No one is encouraging their kid to do it... They're saying they'd be ok with it, and be ok with other kids doing it. They'd also encourage their children to not judge/bully other boys who chose wear dresses.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-06-2013),giggle berry  (24-06-2013)