+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do a sister and brother close in age interact?

We just found out that bub #2 is a boy, we have a girl who will be 18 months old when he comes along.
    I was convinced we were going to have another girl and was all mentally ready for two girls and all that goes with that, now I'm just lost... I am an only child and DH has younger sisters and I can't think of anyone I know who had a girl and then a boy close in age.
    So Im wondering if anyone does have a girl and then a boy and how do they interact, any tips welcome!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh Congratulations!!!!
    18m gap, you'll be busy :-)
    I'm 3 yrs with my brother, so can't really help, but I think in the first 2-3yrs they'll be interested in the same things as my ds loves Barbie, tinkerbell movies and playing house kitchen like his 5 year old girl cousin. But I've started to notice as he becomes closer to 4 he is more interested in boy stereo type play.
    I think personality will play a big part too and as they get older they may even share similar friends or have the opposite!!
    Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD and DS1 are 2 years and 4 months apart and really, apart from the normal fights, at 7.5 and 5 they really are the best of mates. They spend pretty much all their time together playing outside and have a gorgeous bond. I hope that they're always close.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My brother is 3 years older than me but we had great fun as kids, play imaginative games together, he would teach me stuff or show me stuff he was interested in. We have two much older brothers as well so would play cricket & football etc. A brother & sister close in age can get along really well I think, though my brother & I would fight a lot too but all siblings will do that.

My DH has a younger sister (by 3 years) but they didn't play with each other much as kids...probably depends on the kids (& family dynamic).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    DS1 and DD2 are 17 mths apart. Somedays they are best friends other days the fight like cats and dogs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds and dd are 14 months apart and although it was difficult the first year when they were both babies I am really enjoying watching how close they have become. They are almost 3 and almost 4 now and while they fight like most siblings do I also think they have a closeness that I think is reminiscent of twins. They play with each other all the time and being so close they are pretty close developmental wise so they are evenly matched and like the same games, tv shows etc..
    my dd only told me this afternoon that ds is her best friend so cute!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 19 months older than my brother. We were always very close, shared a lot of friends & played basketball together (mixed comp)
    We still see each other regularly with our families & we are 32 & 33 :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are reversed, but a similar age gap. DS is 4 and DD is 2.5 and right now they are awesome together.

To be honest I don't think gender plays a big role for quite a while, they play together pretty much all day. I don't think you need worry about the differences of giving her a brother as opposed to a sister. By the time the hormones start to change them (and therefore their relationship) it would have affected them even if they were both girls anyway. There are loads of fights, but they're just beginning to clue in to the fact that they can be best friends. She seems very developmentally 'ahead' having him to follow, and he seems to enjoy pretending to be younger like her. They play together things like digging, doll house, pushing each other on the swing etc... But then they also make up these funny games together and sometimes seem to have their own language which is cool.

I won't lie, it was hard for the first year. Maybe even 18 months, but I'm starting to see some real love and companionship blossoming in the last 6 months. She was lost when he started Kindy this year. Lol.

As an aside, my brother is 7 years younger than me and we have a really great relationship. I've always played a more maternal role, being so much older which often worked in his favour and sometimes gave him the sh*ts really badly. Lol.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are 14 months. Ds is 4 and dd is 3, they fight a lot but they are also best friends

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's definitely a personality thing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (19-06-2013)