+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hip pain

Hi all,

i'm a mother of a one year old. I noticed some pain in my hip a a couple of months ago that went away after a few weeks but now it's back. I thought it could be from carrying my daughter but I actually think I normally carry her on the other side. Do you think this could still be the cause?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It could be, because when you carry a child it does tend to make your posture a bit lopsided.
    Maybe see a physiotherapist or massage therapist about it?

If it is due to carrying, using a sling can help as it takes a lot of the weight.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Vic35  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have hip pain. It radiates down to my foot when really bad. I think some of it is sciatica, some due to not exercising much and some to breast feeding. When I breast fed my sons I had pain in wrists, now with my daughter it's in my hip. If it hasn't gone by the time I Finnish BF daughter ill see dr. What kind of pain is it? Is it in the bone or muscle. It is such a pain in the **** literally !!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

Vic35  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mummas!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Babynomad I am also BFing and not much of an exerciser so that rings true for me too.

AM I think I am a bit lopsided when I carry her. Weight wise she is not that heavy and unfortunately last time I tried to put her in the ergo she was having none of it.

I mentioned it to my friend who is a GP and he didn't think it was anything serious and where I said the pain was across my hip, he said possibly Bursitis (I think it is muscle, but sort of feels like a bruise)

I think the next step will be a physic/osteo/chiro

Thanks again xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could definitely be trochanteric bursitis +\- tendinopathy of the overlying muscle. Very common in women with kids, especially those that carry on one hip more than the other, as the posture we adopt increases the friction in that hip. (I'm a physio). Get in touch with a physio who can set you on the right path with some exercises to strengthen up and loosen up. In some cases, a GP might refer you off for an ultrasound.

Hope it settles down quickly for you :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

Vic35  (21-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much Sync!
    I was initially a bit worried because I expected the pain to be on the side I carry her on. Glad to know that it could be more about the posture than the actual weight on the hip.
    Really appreciate your comment!