+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Apathetic doctor

Hi all,

My hubby and I have been TTC for a few months and I was (cautiously) excited to see a BFP on a digital POAS a week or so ago. I double checked with a FRER and also got a strong positive.

Being new to our area I pretty much chose a GP by Google. I made an appointment to see her last Thursday thinking she would do something to confirm the pregnancy as well as doing a bunch of other tests . Well, I was quite disappointed! She seemed pretty disinterested and said "most pregnancies take care of themselves". I said I was concerned because of my age (38), so she wrote me a referral for an US which she said would be done at 9 weeks. In addition she ordered a range of blood tests which was fine. I assumed one of these would be the hormone levels as well as iron, folate etc.

Went back today for my results. All were fine except she didn't do anything to confirm my pregnancy. I asked her why and she said there's no need if I did a home test. she also didn't do any iron etc as she said its not in the standard pregnancy screen. Lastly, she didn't even check my blood pressure during either consult!

I found out from the US place that my US is at 12 weeks and the doctor did write me a referral for the antenatal clinic at my hospital.

As this is my first pregnancy I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some advice on what I do next (if anything). Do I contact the antenatal clinic now? And am I stuck with this GP for my whole pregnancy? I'm going through the public system as my health cover waiting period is not up yet for obstetrics.

BTW, I did another digital test this afternoon and it read 3+ so I'm about right for my last menstrual cycle (12th May).

Sorry for the long post! And advice appreciated!

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My doctor was pretty relaxed when I went to confirm my pregnancy too. He just worked out my due date, took my blood pressure (though I have a history of high blood pressure) and gave me a referral for my ob and for bloods. I think my appointment was pretty similar to yours and possibly pretty standard. I think those who get hcg etc checked have either been trying for 12 months + or had recent/history of loss because it wasn't mentioned to me at all to check my hcg, just to have the usual pregnancy screening of stds etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Tangwyn  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats! Just wanted to say that my GP was very much the same after I said I'd done a home pregnancy as they're that good. She just did my bloods and pretty much sent me on my way until I received a referral for hospital care.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, that sounds about normal, it's actually good to have a GP that sees pregnancy as a pretty normal state, some GP's are over the top ordering every test in the book, pregnancy isn't an illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations!!

You don't have to stick with the same GP, you can either ring up the same practice and ask for a different Dr or you can go to another practice. I think a good relationship with your GP is important, you have to find someone you like and feel comfortable with.

To be honest I had never heard of hcg levels until I joined Bubhub and that was when I was pregnant with bub no. 3. I did have blood tests done each pregnancy, and with my 1st we found out I had no rubella immunity (had to have immunisation after bub was born).

I had a scan done at 7 weeks with my 1st only because it was unplanned and I had no idea of my dates, but with the next 2 the scan was around the 12 week mark, which I understand is standard.

If you are otherwise healthy then there is probably not much more that can be done for now. An early scan at this stage (because of your age) won't really show anything as far as Down Syndrome etc goes. When I had a scan of my 1st at 7 weeks all you could could see was the sac and a heart beat. It is too early at this age to really pick up any defects.

Sit back and enjoy the early days of your pregnancy! It will seem like ages until that 1st scan, everyone wants to see their bub, by 12 weeks you will be really able to see somethings - arms and legs etc. That's when it gets exciting!

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much SpottySocks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice everyone. Feeling so much better, thank you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP sent me straight off for an US, to I quote "check if its a viable fetus"....charming! But also did a b-HCG and full blood work, including iron but STI checks,immunity to MMR and chicken pox, got me to have a Pap test, urine test..... The works! And a referral to an obstetrician...... I'd be looking for a new GP if I were you.
    Lucky for me my GP was so efficient as they discovered I had pregnancy induced hypothyroidism and got onto treatment straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also check out if there are any GP Obstetricians in your region, they will have better knowledge of what sorts of tests to do.

My first pregnancy my GP just did a urine test. I was expecting her to do a blood test too, to confirm, but she said no need, the urine tests are very good. She referred me for a 12 week scan and I had blood tests done for immunity levels when the bloods were done for the nuchal scan.

Next time around I had a GP/Ob (from same clinic as GP above) and he referred me for an earlier scan for dating / viability (even though I knew my dates). He also flippantly said, oh and check for twins.

Well, just as well for the early scan, as no heart beat was picked up and then it was suspected ectopic etc which was rather stressful. HCG levels checked, another ultrasound at hospital later, blighted ovum was suspected & D & C done for missed miscarriage (although I started to bleed a few days before the D&C at around 10 weeks).

After that, next time pregnant he ordered HCG levels and a range of other blood tests and an early scan. Which did show twins! So I was glad I had that early scan as it was very easy to see they were in separate placentas, which becomes harder in subsequent later scans.

I don't think your GP is necessarily not doing the right thing by you, but sometimes it would be nicer to have more information for that first pregnancy about what to expect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had scans at 7/9/12 weeks - I pushed for mine cause of my anxiety and they reluctantly agreed (although it seems pretty standard to have a dating scan at 7ish weeks). I also had a load of bloods taken for hcg, iron, vit d, blood type etc. I think maybe be a bit more pushy about it if you feel she isn't doing enough for you. You want to feel comfortable about what's happening and its her job to make sure you feel that way. Congrats and good luck!