+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had so many scans as they were worried ds wasnt growing each scan said 9th percentile and there was talk of induction but it was decided just to keep him in

At 39+3 he was born 3.3kgs.... the Australia average. And 50cms lonh

Growth scan can be very off.

Goodluck

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have managed to keep myself nice and busy today, rearranged the lounge room, cleaned top to bottom and cleaned out the car... Oh and I packed my bag, lol.

Thanks for all the responses, it's so nice just to be able to voice my concern to people who understand the worries of a mum. I am trying to mentally prepare for anything today but am getting to the point where I just wish I knew he was ok. Part of me just wants him out so I can start feeding him and get him nice and chubby but I know if there is aby advantage to him being in there then thats for the best.

Ugh, I feel like I am turning into a crazy lady, I don't think it has sunk in that he could be here by the end of the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Getting so far along before this has happened is fantastic for outcomes for your baby - IUGR babies more commonly perform according to developmental age rather than size. My last 2 sons were IUGR. 1 sadly stopped growing far too early (started slowing at 17weeks) and we lost him at 23weeks. However, my youngest we discovered started to slow at 25 weeks. I was monitored more and more closely till at 33weeks fluid levels dropped drastically, movement was slowing, and there were signs of redistribution (his head was larger in proportion to his body meaning his body was preserving his brain) so it was time for him to come out. He weighed 1.2kgs and did really well. He was on CPAP for 2 days and then straight to breathing room air on his own. He went amazingly at tolerating feeds (ng tube at first though till he got the sucking thing working) and as all the dr's warned me, IUGR babies come out HUNGRY! He was a scrawny little guy and had little to no subcutaneous fat, just wrinkly skin waiting to be filled out, but he had and still has personality and is so full of life and determination. He is now 19 months and sitting on the 25th percentile for weight, 50th percentile for height, and a clever little man who is the light of our lives.

I kept a bag in the car for all my appointments. I wrote out a copy of my older boys schedules including times, contact numbers etc (eg swimming lessons, daycare for 2nd, school bell times for oldest, favourite lunches for lunchbox, basic routine with bedtimes etc) so that my husband and parents could step in at any time. I also planned ahead for a couple of birthday parties we had coming up in case I went into hospital, so had the presents bought, wrapped and labelled with the invitation attached. I had people lined up for meals too. All this preparation helped me feel a little more in control of what was going on and all the unknowns.

All the best, you are far enough along that your little one should be fine and if your dr's are on top of things with monitoring they'll know when to get them out. If you're ever worried or it's a bit long between appointments you could ask for ctg monitoring to ease your nerves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havn't read all replies so sorry if im just repeating others.

We have been through something similar with both of our boys. My second sounds very similar to your situation. We started scans at 28 weeks (due to our first being very small) and he was sitting on the 9th percentile and the tummy was small. We then had scans every 2 weeks to monitor growth and over the weeks the percentiles were getting less and less but because there was good flow through the cord and plenty of fluid around him they were happy to just keep monitoring. At 36 weeks he was down to the 2nd percentile and tummy not on the charts so they decided that they didn't want me to go pat 37 weeks as it was 2 risky. My son was born at 37 weeks weighing a very surprising 2.8kgs, so he was on the 10th percentile. So certainly not a huge bubba but perfectly healthy. I'll never forget the shock we got when he was weighed.

It is such a stressful situation to be in and the waiting feels like an absolute eternity I know. Goodluck with everything and i will be sending positive thoughts your way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MordecaiAliVanAllenO'Shea View Post
    Getting so far along before this has happened is fantastic for outcomes for your baby - IUGR babies more commonly perform according to developmental age rather than size. My last 2 sons were IUGR. 1 sadly stopped growing far too early (started slowing at 17weeks) and we lost him at 23weeks. However, my youngest we discovered started to slow at 25 weeks. I was monitored more and more closely till at 33weeks fluid levels dropped drastically, movement was slowing, and there were signs of redistribution (his head was larger in proportion to his body meaning his body was preserving his brain) so it was time for him to come out. He weighed 1.2kgs and did really well. He was on CPAP for 2 days and then straight to breathing room air on his own. He went amazingly at tolerating feeds (ng tube at first though till he got the sucking thing working) and as all the dr's warned me, IUGR babies come out HUNGRY! He was a scrawny little guy and had little to no subcutaneous fat, just wrinkly skin waiting to be filled out, but he had and still has personality and is so full of life and determination. He is now 19 months and sitting on the 25th percentile for weight, 50th percentile for height, and a clever little man who is the light of our lives.

I kept a bag in the car for all my appointments. I wrote out a copy of my older boys schedules including times, contact numbers etc (eg swimming lessons, daycare for 2nd, school bell times for oldest, favourite lunches for lunchbox, basic routine with bedtimes etc) so that my husband and parents could step in at any time. I also planned ahead for a couple of birthday parties we had coming up in case I went into hospital, so had the presents bought, wrapped and labelled with the invitation attached. I had people lined up for meals too. All this preparation helped me feel a little more in control of what was going on and all the unknowns.

All the best, you are far enough along that your little one should be fine and if your dr's are on top of things with monitoring they'll know when to get them out. If you're ever worried or it's a bit long between appointments you could ask for ctg monitoring to ease your nerves.
    Thank you so much for your post and I am so very sorry for the bub you lost, it is heartbreaking.

The advice is great! I hadn't thought to write out some instructions for DD and DS... I know DF can take care of them but he doesn't know how each day runs as I do the drop off an pick up and dinners.

I feel good knowing we are at 36 weeks and no matter on size, that the gestation is good

Only 90mins till my appt so hopefully I will get some answers. Thank you again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks jb23!! It is just comforting to hear from people who have been there and can give advice on what to expect.

The tummy is really the worrying measurement, I think he will be a skinny little boy! I think once I have a plan and know whats happening I will feel a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is the tummy measurement that usualy lets you know there is something not right. In our case both the tummy and the legs were very low on the percentile and the head was sitting around the 50th percentile in the end. Turns out bub just takes after his Dad and has a big head and short legs .
    Since his birth bubs has done nothing but eat and put on weight and has gone from the 10th percentile to the 25th in a matter of months.

The unknown really is the hardest part hey? Just keep an eye on bubs movement and if you are at all concerned head straight for hospital as it is better to feel silly and be safe than not. Also if you feel like you need more reassurance ask for ctg monitoring every few days. And remember your very close to term now so that's a really really good thing for bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope your appointment went well and you got lots of answers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we have a date booked, next Friday. My OB really wabts me to go to 38 weeks so we have booked in but will still monitor everything closely.

The blood flow is still good and fluid is at 9 so also still acceptable, this is the main reason he is staying in as she said we know he is small but e is still coping.

The issue now will be my BP, it was 150/100 tonight so we are trying a different medication. I am having bloods tomorrow and if at any point it looks like pre-eclampsia then we deliver earlier, but hopefully it wont come to that.

I feel better knowing we have a plan and a date. Now it's time to get everything ready!

Thank you for the well wishes, it means a lot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was reading along...I don't have the same experience as yours as my Bub was small for different reasons. But I wanted to say big hugs. . and wishing you all the best for the following week.. and hoping your tests tomorrow don't show you have PE and Bub can go another week. Keep us posted too.