+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small baby not growing :(

Hi All,

I am currently 36w4d and am a little worried about belly bub, just looking for anyone else who may have experienced the same.

I already have two amazing kidlets who were both almost 4kgs at birth so I am use to larger, chubby babies 2 weeks ago my BP was high and bubs was a little quiet so my OB organised a scan just to check growth and everything was good. I had also had one at 28 weeks and bubs was measuring good on the growth charts, all within normal ranges and definitely not a big baby but not small either, most measurements hovered around the 50th% mark. My next scan was at 34w3d and bubs tummy measurement went from 45th% down to the 2nd% on growth charts and the predicted weight had dropped to 27th%. I know the weight is difficult to predict so was more concerned about the tummy as my OB said this is usually the first sign the placenta isn't doing it's job but she assured me it wasn't time to worry as we needed to see what growth did over another 2 weeks.

Fast forward to yesterday we had another scan to see what growth had been doing. I really expected to have seen better results, I was convinced he was just little but would have improved. His tummy has now dropped completely off the charts, there has been almost no growth at all in 2 weeks His head also looks like to have made no growth... it is still within all the normal ranges but the fact it isn't growing to me says the placenta just isn't feeding him at all now. His overall size is now under the 20th% but it is his tummy that is really worrying me as apparently the baby will pull all reserves from around their tummy to keep feeding the brain when there is not enough nutrients coming from the placenta.

I see my OB at 5.30pm today and the wait is killing me... I know no one can tell me what will happen but I just needed to see if anyone has experienced this, what the outcome was and how bubs did after birth. My main concern is the placenta stops working and I wont know, it already seems like over the last 2 weeks things have gone downhill and I have been none the wiser! I do have high BP, it hit 160/100 (pre pregnancy was 100/60) last week but no protien in urine so not pre-eclampsia but my OB did want to medicate me to keep the BP down. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the meds and can't take them so we just keep monitoring it twice a week.

Sorry for the novel... I really just needed to get this out to people who might understand. DF just keeps telling me not to stress as it just raises my BP but this whole being calm thing isn't as easy as I thought. I feel like after 2 normal, healthy pregnancies I have used all my good luck and I am being punished for wanting a third bub. Any advice or calming words would be much appreciated! I am worried with all the running around I have been doing with DD (4.5yrs) and DS(3 yrs), working full time, organising the house changes and starting my MBA I have overdone it and this is my fault

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hellooooooo,

Most likely since bub is not growing, you're almost term, and have hypertension they'll decide to induce you either very soon if not today/tomorrow because it looks like bub will grow better on the outside then on the inside.

It's absolutely 100% not your fault, there's nothing you can change and the fact that this has been monitored closely for the last few weeks is fantastic!

Most likely bub will come out a little small (maybe 2.8ish kgs) and might need a bit of help feeding and possibly some help breathing, but unlikely. If bub is little little, then they'll want to admit him/her to the nursery to keep a closer eye on them.

Fingers crossed for you!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no advice but do agree with pp that I would expect bib will arrive soon. Good luck with it, it sounds like a super stressful situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both I really appreciate the responses!

I am trying to prepare for having to deliver early which is making me stress more as there is so much to do! I haven't packed my bag or even got half the things I need... Then I worry about my other two and how they will cope and if DF will be able to handle it all. I have had 2 previous c-sections so this will be a third... At least I know what I am in for there!

Going to get some house work done today while the munchkins are in daycare, maybe cook some meals and organise my bag... At least I can try be prepared, might stop me stressing out, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzly555 View Post
    Going to get some house work done today while the munchkins are in daycare, maybe cook some meals and organise my bag... At least I can try be prepared, might stop me stressing out, lol.
    I would be definitely packing a bag and taking it with you (just leave it in the car) in case they decide to admit you overnight.

The positives of it being your third caesar is that is should *hopefully* be like your booked elective would be, still technically an "emergency caesar" but nice and calm and no one running around at a million miles an hour because the baby needs to be out right now. Plus you won't have to go through the stress and worry of an induction and the will they/won't they bail out and do a caesar anyway.

(I'm being little miss optimistic today hehe)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes this happened to me although I am not sure about the measurements just that for the last 3 weeks there was no growth and perhaps some loss around the tummy. I was determined to have a natural birth so the ob gave me another week (taking me up to 39 weeks) and then he induced which failed and I had a c section. I realise now, they just needed to get her out and I am glad they did. She was pretty tiny around the tummy but a fairly good weight of 3 kilos. The sonographer predicted much less than that the week prior so who knows if she gained some or if the measurements were a little off. She fed like mad for the first 3 months and now at nearly 4 months she is a very healthy and chubby baby! I had low pap a blood results at my 1st trimester tests so they were always going to monitor for growth. Good luck, I am sure she'll be a healthy bouncing baby in your arms soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend bub stopped growing at 32 weeks, hasn't grown at all since 28 weeks. I think she had an emergency CS and the bubs has some issues but seems to be ok. Since you're so close I imagine they will act... Go pack just in case!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would certainly be packing a bag before your appointment today. If they feel bub will be safer out they might deliver real quick! All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi as wannawannabe said, this is in no way your fault! If the placenta isn't doing its job there's nothing you could have done about that.

My first daughter was IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction, which is what it sounds like they'd class your baby as). I'm not sure of her exact measurements but at my 39 week appointment (which was actually at 39+4) my OB was concerned that my fundal height hadn't changed in 4 weeks, so he scanned me and we found there had been no growth at all. I was admitted for induction at 39+5 and she was born the next night. She was 2.5kg on the dot which just saved her from going to SCN (2500g was the cutoff at my hospital - one gram less and she would've gone to SCN) but she fed like a maniac and by the time we were discharged 4 days later she weighed 2495g, so she'd almost regained her birth weight. And from that point forward she gained steadily and followed the charts except for one little dip on the weight curve when she was 12 months and had a serious of colds and flus. She's now 2 years 4 months and healthy as can be, not to mention crazy smart. Guess there was nothing wrong with her brain development

Best of luck for your appointment and try not to worry too much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I'm on my phone and will be back later to respond fully. Big hugs in the meantime.