+ Reply to Thread
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default DIY bathroom

So last night I decided I'm sick to death of our appalling bathroom (it really is disgusting)- the previous owners used hideous cheap paint over E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. and it's all peeling off. I've got most of it off the bath and last night I started attacking the tiles.
    We were going to get the whole bathroom redone, but realistically it's too much money and we'd rather just move out of here sooner.
    So I'm trying to figure out how much I can do myself- bearing in mind I have never done any DIY!
    What I would like to do:
    Get paint off everything (tiles, walls- really not sure how to do the walls esp. the ceiling without making a monumental mess)
    Regrout and reseal bath and shower tiles
    Replace tapware and shower head
    Repaint bathroom
    Re-enamel bath (obviously a job for pro!)
    New bathroom cabinet and towel rack
    Take door off between bathroom and laundry
    Build cabinets in laundry
    Put in a heat lamp (again, job for pro)

Is that all doable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think most on your list is definatley DIY doable. Not sure about the paint on the tiles though - I'm not sure you're going to be able to get that off and still have ok tiles underneath?? I imagine if it's peeling they've used wall paint on them, not stuff specifically for tiles. You can get tile paint and re paint them yourself, but I don't think you'd get a very good finish. I know places that re-enamel baths can also re-surface tiles/ rejuvenate grout - it might be an idea to get a quote on that too. If you can get the paint off, you'd then need to dig out all the grout to re-grout (not a nice job).

Paint on walls and ceilings you'll just need to scrape back what's peeling, sand and re-paint. You can't avoid mess with that, just put some plastic drop sheets down so when you're done you can roll them up and chuck them out.

With the bathroom and laundry cabinets I would just get flatpacks from bunnings and fix to walls.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 18-06-2013 at 10:17.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just did our down stairs bathroom (well my man did )..such a pain in the ***...have a plan,.. set a time and get it done..This has been a almost 2 year project!!..My man tends to start and stop ..so annoying..best of luck with it!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The paint's coming off no worries. It's almost as easy as pulling off a sticker. So the tiles underneath are fine. The whole house has been given a once over with really cheap white paint, its peeling everywhere so annoyed.
    Thanks guys, so it looks like it's doable then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend of mine with zero reno experience just renovated her kitchen, including tiling, just by watching videos on you tube! So if there is anything you're not sure about, watch some videos :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, I should have thought of YouTube, thanks. That's how I taught myself to sew!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you could achieve everything that you have said you could. so get stuck in and enjoy, it's fun!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are renovating at the moment but there was nothing in my bathrooms worth saving!

I think your list is doable and with some hunting around most of it won't be too expensive. Bunnings and Masters have some cabinets/vanities which are great. I got mine from masters with the taps and fittings for about $200 - easy enough to install and if you have someone handy with plumbing it is even easier.

I'm not sure how you would go with the bath. I got one for $150 from bunnings - as long as it is a standard size you might be able to just drop a new one in.

Agree with a PP - planning is everything - can easily drag into a long project if you don't have a plan.

Good Luck!