+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DIY assembling Ikea kitchen

Has anyone done it?

We got an outrageous $6k quote today from aussemble (who do lots of ikea apparently).
    Take away the trades and its still $3k to install cupboards (nothing else).
    I just think that is ridiculous, so DH and I were thinking of putting the flat pack together ourselves and then either having a crack of putting them in or get a cabinet maker out of the yellow pages.... Surely they'd be cheaper?!

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My dh works for another flat pack kitchen company he puts them together all the time they are fairly easy to do. Bunnings sell a dvd for $4 on how to put a flat pack kitchen together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've built a bunnings one and had no issues

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    So no need for a cabinet maker, even if you're completely removing the old one?
    Might go get that DVD!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved or kitchen into a while new room. The dvd is good.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband (with help from his dad and brother) did ours including installation of everything except for the bench top and appliances. Before we started renovating, he was not a handy person at all. They just took their time (allowed one day for assembly, one day for installation) and were careful - and got the job done. He then did his sister's as well.

(Funnily enough, about 6 months later, my husband went on to work for Ikea in the kitchen department. The photos that he took of the kitchens during and after installation are what got him the job)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sycx View Post
    My husband (with help from his dad and brother) did ours including installation of everything except for the bench top and appliances. Before we started renovating, he was not a handy person at all. They just took their time (allowed one day for assembly, one day for installation) and were careful - and got the job done. He then did his sister's as well.
    I did exactly this. I made all the cabinets by myself then my dad help fix them I place. I then got a cabinet maker to install the bench top for only a few hundred from memory (was 3 or so years ago). Had a free standing oven so plumber just came out to hook that up.

There really easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? Wow! This is awesome.

Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doing one now and using company called install2you or something. $60 a cabinet so costing us about $1.5k....if they'd ever return our calls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySunrise View Post
    Has anyone done it?

We got an outrageous $6k quote today from aussemble (who do lots of ikea apparently).
    Take away the trades and its still $3k to install cupboards (nothing else).
    I just think that is ridiculous, so DH and I were thinking of putting the flat pack together ourselves and then either having a crack of putting them in or get a cabinet maker out of the yellow pages.... Surely they'd be cheaper?!

Thoughts?
    We put together our whole ikea kitchen including the bench tops in 3 days! They are pretty easy!