+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blw question

Dd is 6 months and we have just started doing blw. I was expecting her to gag sometimes but she seems to be struggling more than I thought she would.
    She has only had some avocado, some cucumber, toast crust and a half hearted attempt at banana and each only once and didn't eat much.
    With both the avocado and the toast she gagged so much that she Vomited, not just a little bit either, she Vomited A LOT. The others she didn't really easy much of at all

I was so looking forward to blw but her seeming lack of ability to either swallow or gag it out is freaking me out. I don't know if it would impact it but she is a congested little soul too and seems to constantly have gunk running down the back of her throat which seems to make it worse.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gagging is normal and food before one is supposed to be just for fun anyway : )
    One of the reasons behind baby led weaning is that they learn to chew before they learn to swallow which is logical whereas feeding purees teaches to swallow before chewing.
    Have you got a book on blw? Or have you googled? Usually you'll find tips on gagging in a book or online. I wouldn't get discouraged, just keep trying different things. All babies are different and she might just have an extra sensitive gag reflex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm absolutely no expert on this and I've only got one 1 year old, so I hope it's okay for me to reply from what I've been told by our doctor, gagging isn't a bad thing as its the bodies natural defence against choking. When we first started BLW with our daughter, she wouldn't go through a meal without gagging a couple of times. Although there were only two times where she gagged and did a HUGE vomit after and both times it was when she had a bit of a blocked nose, so there might be a connection? If she does have another big vomit I would stop with the food for that 'meal' and give her breast or bottle so you know she has something in her belly.

In my opinion I think they just need to get used to chewing, swallowing lumps, how much food to put in and how far etc. Certainly with my DD as she got more used to eating the gagging slowed down and stopped completely. It just takes time and is a skill they take a little while to learn

I'd also say to preserver with it, just keeping an eye on how far in she's putting the food and if she's getting any little bits off. The gagging is scary! But I took comfort in what my doctor said about it and kept reminding myself that she's only choking if she can't make any sound. This really helped me relax with it, which made things a lot more fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    She may not be ready - 6 months is a guide , give her a break for a week or 2 and try again. The congestion wouldn't help either and she may be more sensitive /defensive with swallowing

Keep putting her at the dinner table when you have dinner and maybe keep giving the cucumber sticks to get her used to picking food up , chewing etc and keep letting her watch and observe , she will let you know when she's ready - that's the beauty of BLW

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started BLW with both my kids at 6 months. DD didn't really get into it until 9 months. DS was keener earlier but also had a really sensitive gag reflex and would do massive pukes. He had also been a chucky baby.

I decided to go slower with DS, and only offered small amounts and not every meal/day and tried to go with less-gag-inducing foods.

Within a couple of months, he was much more ready to handle foods without accompanying vomiting.

Elijiah's Mum has some good advice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks all. I don't think she's quite ready yet but I'm getting a lot of pressure to feed her more from everyone. She began sleeping terribly a couple of months back and everyone's solution sends to be to feed her more. I disagree with them though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trust your instinct : ) People can think what they like and I'm sure they mean well but she's you baby and you know her best.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BohemianGypsy For This Useful Post:

RandR  (18-06-2013)