+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    There is the option of immediate foster care, I was not sure about going that way because of the strain on the system as it is. I'd be like a temporary foster carer myself, less handling of the newborn and less strain on overworked foster carers.
    It's so hard because you are going to have no idea how you feel about this little bub until you meet each other, I hope it is either 100% one way or the other anywhere in the middle and you are going to be torn.

Do you know the gender, if its a girl I would be more than happy to send you everything a new baby girl would need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    It's so hard because you are going to have no idea how you feel about this little bub until you meet each other, I hope it is either 100% one way or the other anywhere in the middle and you are going to be torn.

Do you know the gender, if its a girl I would be more than happy to send you everything a new baby girl would need.
    I know it's impossible to know either way. I'm not finding out sex at this stage, unsure of what to do in the future. My nephew is only 2 so I can get some of the baby clothes from him, they've sold or given away most of it. I've been meaning to buy a portacot anyway so that when people are over with babies they don't need to bring everything with them. So it would get used. They aren't expensive anyway, the ones I've seen around between $120 and $150 and they are easily stored.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm really interested to hear the 30 day rule, when my sister adopted her baby, the new parents were at the birth, and took her straight away. (This was NZ in the '90's though)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just get what you are comfortable in getting, if you decide to keep the baby you will have baby bonus to help get the rest of the things together, new buns really don't need much and as you say it's a summer baby.

If you decide not to keep the baby, I personally wouldn't mind this small outlay, this baby is an innocent, you both are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I'm really interested to hear the 30 day rule, when my sister adopted her baby, the new parents were at the birth, and took her straight away. (This was NZ in the '90's though)
    From what I gather, it's a rule put in by Department of Communities in Queensland, not sure how recent it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    From what I gather, it's a rule put in by Department of Communities in Queensland, not sure how recent it is.
    It has been in place in NSW since the 90s as fas as I know. It is a cooling off period, it doesn't sound very nice putting it that way but it is basically just that.

I hope you are doing well Secret of Cleo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    It has been in place in NSW since the 90s as fas as I know. It is a cooling off period, it doesn't sound very nice putting it that way but it is basically just that.

I hope you are doing well Secret of Cleo.
    Thank you for the info, it did seem well established.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm very sorry for what you've been through

Surely the 'cooling off period' is a formality and doesn't mean that the child has to be in your physical care for that time?

Couldn't the adoptive parents take physical care of the child as soon as you are ready (from the hospital for example) and when the cooling off period is up you then sign the child over to them legally as well?

I can't see the point of forcing someone to have a lengthy period of time caring for a child they have decided to adopt.

I'm sorry if this is misinformed info.