+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaspat24 View Post
    I think what your CHN is getting at is small volumes of food 3x a day; ie so you spread out the calories through the day rather than have one huge meal. Current guidelines are after 6mths to introduce everything except honey and to cook eggs thoroughly. What I did was to make some vegie purees from the Annabel karmel book just to have them in the fridge/freezer then wherever possible I give DD some of our food. She's currently eating a deconstructed chicken, cheese and salad sandwich by herself . I chose food as my DD was interested and when offered top-ups would only take the bare minimum. She wanted food not more milk. She also had undiagnosed/untreated reflux until 4.5mth also. I'd sit him up with you at meals and offer him from your plate little bits at a time. if he can't eat them by himself i'd be inclined to mush them a bit and offer gently
    Thankyou, i have that book and i did what you did with my DD who started solids at 4mths old - far too early but i was a naieve first time mum who got talked into it She has eczema and egg and nut allergies. For this reason, i wanted to wait as late as possible to start ds on food. Breastfeeding WAS keeping him satisfied and we WERE doing so well. Im so crushed he's had formula, i wanted him on my milk exclusively for 6 mths as i know all the benefits from it, then follow on with blw, make it easy on myself and keep getting DS to feed himself and take what he needs from food. But sometimes you just have to do what works and this was not working anymore
    WHY!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
    She had a runny nose constantly for 6 weeks, she didn't have a cold, her skin went blotchy, she struggled with poos, she was irritable & only would have 90mls at a time. Since then her nose has cleared up & skin is great & has no problems with poos.

I tried switching her to lactogen formula but the symptoms came back after 3 days. I won't switch her again.

I would give that formula a try, & see how yr LO goes.
    hmm sounds similar. He did end up taking less and les formula untill he wouldnt take any at all. I thought my milk was enough and he didnt need the top ups anymore, then the rash appeared and his skin went to crap and he was not sleeping at all.
    i dont know about tummy upset because his dirty nappies just looked like breastmilk nappies. didnt even smell different because of the formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Thankyou, i have that book and i did what you did with my DD who started solids at 4mths old - far too early but i was a naieve first time mum who got talked into it She has eczema and egg and nut allergies. For this reason, i wanted to wait as late as possible to start ds on food. Breastfeeding WAS keeping him satisfied and we WERE doing so well. Im so crushed he's had formula, i wanted him on my milk exclusively for 6 mths as i know all the benefits from it, then follow on with blw, make it easy on myself and keep getting DS to feed himself and take what he needs from food. But sometimes you just have to do what works and this was not working anymore
    WHY!
    I could have written the exact same as I've bolded from your above post; looking back I believe that for my DD what we've done was right for us and even though we started purees/mash we just introduced slowly and not on the same 'weaning guide' as outlined in the book. when we were spoonfeeding we were watching her closely for indications she'd had enough so as not to overstuff her and as soon as we could we've gotten her onto self-feeding/blw. In regards to allergies we have none in our family so i'm not really concerned she'd develop any from early intro of food. Ask my mum, my GP, my hubby, my friends etc, I really struggled with changing my ideals of BF til 6mths and blw. after doing blw with my son I had to ask my GP how to start her off on pureed food LOL (My enter key isn't working) Also, my DD wakes around 9.30pm then 2-3hrly from then all night long. Every week I ring Ngala for advice and guidance. The latest is to feed at 7pmish when she goes to sleep, then again at 9.30ish as this tends to be a good feed for her, then 4hrly after that, trying to resettle until then....most of the time I choose to just BF her again if that's what she wants as its quicker

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, you've reached the 'period of exclusivity (4mths exclusive BF)' so WELL DONE! This is fantastic! You should be proud of yourself that you've achieved this! You know, I tried some formula with my DD too after 4mths, before the food "just to see" if it would help at all. it didn't make any difference whatsoever. she only had like 30mls each time (twice) the same amount she'd take of EBM from a bottle. We just decided to breastfeed from the breast, add food when required and be guided by her. I can count on 2hands the number of bottles of formula/EBM she's had which may make it a little difficult when I go back to work part time in august When you started solids at 4mths with your daughter, did you launch straight into it with 3meals a day or did you still make her milk the main nutrition until 1yr? How about you try this. Cook your dinner a little early and make extra vegies, then just mush some up together in a little bowl with a bit of filtered/cooled boiled water and see if he'll try it. You could separate a few things if you want or give a few things together. If he's into it try and see if he'll pick it up himself and put hand to mouth or if he's happy to have it on a spoon or from your fingers. What do you think? most important of all try to relax and enjoy this time with him at this age, they grow so quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you want to start food, baked vegie slices are a good way to start. potato or pumpkin cut into slices or decent chunks and then baked on an oven tray.

cucumber sticks or steam zucchini sticks are good too.

starting solids doesn't always help baby sleep more though.

are you able to catch up on sleep on the weekend? or nap during the day at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    LMM, how's things going?