+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Climbing out of bed and refusing to sleep

Our 2 year old sleeps in a cot/toddler bed. She has been protesting day naps for a few months now but I keep persisting as she defiantly needs it.

In the last week she has started to climb out on her own and walk herself out of her room and down the stairs not wanting to sleep. She has been doing this before bedtime without a day nap, so I know she is tired. I'm just wondering what can I do to keep her in her bed! We tried threatening her that she'll sleep outside if she doesn't stay in her room, but that only worked once

Any ideas??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am having similar bedtime battle, I saw a Wiggles Bedtime book so am going to try it tonight. She loves Maisy's bathtime book so I may head out and get a Maisy's bedtime too! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing...no advice sorry, my DS1 is doing the same thing now that I'm trying to transition him from cot to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    stay with her until she falls asleep?

or settle her in bed and then leave momentarily and return. If she stays settled, leave again for slightly longer, returning again before she gets out of bed.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    stay with her until she falls asleep?

or settle her in bed and then leave momentarily and return. If she stays settled, leave again for slightly longer, returning again before she gets out of bed.....
    Yep, this worked for me. I tried it last week, and it seems she just wants/needs someone in the room. Reminds of sleep training all over again. I'm just trying to figure out why things have changed all of a sudden?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I notice that you are pregnant. Do you think your little one is becoming aware that changes are happening and just wants to hang around with you, get a little bit of reassurance that things are still ok?

Sometimes i never work out what caused the changes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I notice that you are pregnant. Do you think your little one is becoming aware that changes are happening and just wants to hang around with you, get a little bit of reassurance that things are still ok?

Sometimes i never work out what caused the changes
    Yes, I thought about that. And it just could be the case since she is very attached to me. Just as I write this, here she is coming down the stairs out of her bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would stay there till she falls asleep that's what we do with my son. He is a great sleeper but if you try leaving the room before he falls asleep and he realizes then say goodbye to him staying in his bed. He sometimes ends up sleeping in our bed because he gets hysterical and cries and thinks we won't come back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried the staying next to our DD1. That was terrible as she then would wake to check we were still there all night long.

With our second daughter, who is now 2.5, we used a baby gate at her door. She protested, but is now going to bed happily. We also dropped her day nap. There are days when she really should have a sleep, but refuses, but we just put her in bed 1/2 hour earlier.