+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 year old DS doesn't get on with my BF's 3 year old DS- Advice please

Hi ladies,
    I was just after some advice. One of my closest girlfriends has a son the same age as mine. We live close to each other as see each other regularly. It is becoming more and more apparent that our 2 boys just dont play nicely together. Both are usually lovely boys, no real behavioural issues and my DS plays really lovely with lots of his other friends. I'm just not sure what to do. It is likely the boys will go to the same primary school and we see each others families quite a bit. My DH thinks dont force the friendship and just try to avoid the boys catching up as much as possible? its just upsetting and i dont want to feel like i am losing a friend because our kids dont get along. what do you think? TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I had this problem with my DS1 and my friend's DD. Every time they saw each other they would play nicely for awhile and then the fights would start, the tantrums, crying. It was really hard for us to catch up with them.

We both got busy with life and saw each other a bit less. We are still friends but we didn't see each other as often and now the kids are back to being great friends. It is really cute how much they like each other now.

I think the problem was they were spending too much time together so they had become almost like brother and sister with their fighting. Now they don't see each other as much they get to really enjoy seeing each other.

They are 3 so you can't force them to like each other but you can help them by telling them what is appropriate behaviour. That way even if they don't like each other they can be civil and hopefully it will work itself out.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this problem with my ds and my neice and because I was my nieces babysitter I had to figure something out. Main things I did was...whatever toy they fight over gets taken off them both and put away....somedays I had soo many toys put away there wasn't much left! Another good thing was to get them out of the house away from their own toys that they end up fighting over and go to the park to wear themselves out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually remember that my cousin and I had issues with each other when I was younger. My mum worked long hrs so I would go to my aunties before and after school.

It was definitely because we saw too much of each other... Once I stopped going there everyday we became great friends

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DewDanni For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice, a bit of a break might be in order i think

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, we had the same thing happen with friends of ours years ago. My oldest boy and their second boy, were only 6 months apart, and they really just didnt get on. We stopped seeing each other for about 6 months, (we were visiting nearly every weekend) and after that break the boys all got along again, and we had no more troubles. I think it gave the boys time to grow, and to just adjust to each other better. The break didnt harm the friendship at all. Marie.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    same advice as others...my bestie and I met in pre natal classes (9 years ago now) and for about 12 months the boys just did not get along that well (about 4-5) and now the are great mates.

Just give it time...we took to meeting for coffee in the evenings when the kids were at home with our hubbies so we could still have our coffee and a chat but without the kids at each other. We gradually started meeting up during the day with the kids again and have recently just gone away for a week together with the families and it was perfect.

Disagreements with 3-5 year olds happen....just give them some space and make sure you and your friend on the same page and try and meet up without the kids every now and then

12. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (17-06-2013)