+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    It would have to have been very out of the ordinary...I would be more inclined to let them sleep in and take them in late if needed.

I don't think we need to apply work standards to 5 year olds though...there are many things they do different in Prep/Year 1 to when they are in the work force lol

My DS is now in Year 3 and he will miss a week off school later in the year for sport...so i guess that is not much different really.
    obviously different standards but the same principle. In my opinion anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I wouldn't let him have the day off school, but then again I wouldn't let them have a big weekend unless it was an absolute exception. My DS would see it as a just a day off school and would then try for late nights in order to get a day off school, he wouldn't rest anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would send them. Letting kids have a day off after a big weekend only makes them think it's ok to do it when there teenagers/adults. I had lots of "big weekends" as a kid, we never missed school and mum never missed work.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy90 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-06-2013),VicPark  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd let DD have the day off. It doesn't happen all the time and I know what she's like, she'd be sooky and probably just try and sleep at school anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope it wouldn't happen! We don't have big nights on the weekends. If we go out its usually to family events and we are home at a reasonable time not more than an hour past bedtime but never through the week. Nor do we treat the weekends any different to week nights, bedtime is the same time. We often do have busy days on the weekend, out on the boat, fishing, camping, riding the quad which is why a normal bedtime is important.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 17-06-2013 at 16:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would and have kept my children home after exceptionally hectic weekends. It's most certainly not a regular thing, nor do my kids try and swindle extra days off without good reason.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have school aged children yet, but I would not send an exhausted child to school. I don't see the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I get what people are saying in a way, but it's not like the kids have chosen to not go to sleep? I'm assuming the OP has had them out all weekend doing stuff, so it's not their fault (and that's no judgment OP, just that people are saying keeping them home teaches them bad lessons, I just don't agree). At 5/6/7 they go where they are taken by parents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. School is a non-negotiable unless sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes i would if i had enough sick leave up as now i am not casual which is helpful. I let DS have friday off last week as my mum was visiting and he wanted to pick her up. I even had the day off work but had to make it up with another day. I am also letting him have tomorrow off to spend with mum as she goes home tomorrow night and i want him to spend time with her.

He doesnt take much time off school and i am sure it wont set him up for bad examples. When i was in high school, i took heaps of time off but i still have a good work ethic and still have mental health days when needed. I would take one on wednesday but dont have a single minute of leave up currently but i am really needing it though.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app