+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think you need to have a night routine to get her knowing the cues for sleep. Day routine isn't important with times etc. but at that age, I would say they can only manage 2 hours awake time at most in day.

Do the same thing every night. For all my babies, it was bath, milk, book, wrap, cuddle, kiss, bed. At that age, my babies were in bed at 6/6:30pm.

DD1 slept through at 4 months
    DS was waking once for a feed at that age
    DD2 is 6 months and slept through as a newborn, but does wake for a feed sometimes.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 17-06-2013 at 05:57.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (17-06-2013),olismumma  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs OP. sleep deprivation is the worst!! I'm about to head back into that territory with number 2 and I'm dreading it!

Are you bf or bottle feeding? I only ask because I only bf number one, whole other story but he would not take a bottle; so I have no idea if this works for bottle feeding also.

This is what we did and worked for us, but obviously won't work for every bub...
    My son woke up at least once a night until 18 months. But he stayed in bed from 7-7 which helped a lot. He is now 2.5 and is still sleeping 7-7.

Routine was what worked for us in the end. Routine, routine, routine. So, after every wake up we played, or would go for a walk or whatever. Then nappy change if needed, in the sleeping bag, breastfeed and bed. At night we made sure the room stayed dark, I would not talk to him at all, just bf, nappy, bf other side, back to bed. Our night time bed routine did not include a bath as we found this revved him up. So we just did the sleeping bag, feed, sleep routine and then in bed by 7pm regardless of anything else happening.

As pp have mentioned though, there is a sleep regression at 4 months which we went through. Again though we just did play, feed, sleep or cuddle, feed, sleep depending on the time of day even if it was only 30 mins since last feed. Feeding to sleep was never an
    Issue for us and DS weaned himself at 18 months.

I hope you find something that works for you OP. xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewbaby For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a routine and it changes day to day slightly but her night routine is the same. I got to know DD's cues and she has slept right through from 3 months. I know she needs a sleep after being awake for 2 hours and if she has 2 sleeps she'll go to bed at 6 but if she has 3 she wont go until about 7.30. Her day naps can be anywhere from 45 mins - 2 hours. she has a muslin blanket I used to wrap her in for sleep which I know lay over her at sleep time. She only has it for sleeping so she identifies sleep with her muslin. We do the 3 B's at bed time. Bath, bottle & bed. Through the day your routine will change slightly but try keeping your night routine the same every night. You'll have off nights! Like I've been up since 2.30am with DD but that will happen. Don't be hard on yourself. You figure out what works for you both!

Me 29 + DH 33 = DD 6 months
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 17-06-2013 at 06:39.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. We've been up since 3:45 this morning and she's only had two 20 min naps since then :-( fyi she is bottle fed and has between 5-7 bottles per 24hrs
    Our routine is the same for day and night sleeps; feed, swaddle, cuddles and lullabies. It was working really well up until 2 weeks ago now she's fighting sleep. And the only way we can get her to sleep if we do is by bouncing her on excercise ball for every.single.sleep!! I'm drained!
    I've tried putting her in cot wide awake and I've stayed with her and walked off, it doesn't matter she ends up needing cuddles to get to sleep. I didn't mind at first but now my body is killing me :-(

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I'm right onto her sleep cues, I watch her very closely when we have play before sleep and I was getting good at getting her to bed on time but now as soon as we walk into room she screams

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder if she would like a swing? If the bouncing movement soothes her it could be worth a try?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Big hugs. I'm suffering PND too. Sleep deprivation just makes it so much worse. Everything I've read/been told says that you really need to try to get as much sleep as you possibly can. That must be really hard with an unhelpful partner. What time do you go to bed at night? Try to go to bed as early as possible, you need your sleep too. Because when you spend the day on the catnap merry go round that's exhausting too, spending all day doing nothing but putting your baby to sleep!
    Pnd is horrible isn't it, and lack if sleep does make it worse :-( I hope you are ok and getting some form if treatment?
    My hubby is great when he's home, I just struggle with him being at wrk as I don't get a break. Ever since last month when we stopped breastfeeding I've been getting more sleep as he can give her bottles. I get at least one night on weekend to sleep through night which I love!!! But I dread the start of the week when he has to get back to work :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I wonder if she would like a swing? If the bouncing movement soothes her it could be worth a try?
    Great idea! She did used to love the swing and fall asleep for some day sleeps, now she only lasts about 10 mins then cracks it and I have to get her up..then I try to put her to bed again. I got desperate today and put her in hugabub sling hoping she would fall asleep like she used to but nope!! Cheeky girl is way too alert

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With the crying at the start of the bedtime routine- both mine did that too around the same age, and I tend to think it's actually a step forward. I think (this is my own unprofessional theory of course!) that they cry because they know bedtime is coming, and they realise how tired they are. So when mine have done that I've kept singing softly and smiling at them to let them know going to bed is a good thing. Then I've stayed and helped them go to sleep as much as they need me. I really think a big key is to try to stay relaxed and keep bubs as relaxed and calm as possible (i know some days that's impossible!)
    I'm really glad to hear you have your DH's help it is really hard when they're at work for the day. I find coming on BH and FB and venting sometimes helps me feel a little less alone.
    Also, one thing that helps me a lot is to make sure I have breakfast and a shower and get dressed before DP goes to work. Showers really help to wake you up, and it just makes the day a bit easier when those 3 things are done. Prepares you somewhat for the day!
    Finally, try not to spend all day thinking about your baby's sleep. What I tend to do is to try really hard to get one or two naps done (depending on how they go!) And then get out of the house and go shopping or something. Try not to let it dictate your life too much.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does your bub sleep when you're out? One thing I found when DD was a terrible sleeper (she basically was on a cycle of snacking/napping/screaming for 3 months and I was constantly trying to feed/express/settle with PND and slee deprivation) was that she would sleep so much better in the pram at shopping centres. I'm guessing a combination of motion and ambient noise. Getting out of the house has the added bonus of breaking that horrible feeling of isolation and also gives you something to do for the day.

Keep persisting with the sleep time routines, it took us a while but it really helped in the long run.

Do you have family nearby? Can your mum stay for a few days to give you company and help with settling?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (17-06-2013)