+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do your school aged (Prep - Grade 2) kids manage big birthday parties?

My ds is in Prep (he's 6) and it seems that every weekend he is invited to a party and there are 25 - 30 kids also at the party (mostly from his class). Parties go for at least 2 hours and are usually at a playcentre or big centre of some kind so the kids are busy running around for a lot of the time.

I've had to take him home early from the last 2 parties as he's had huge meltdowns with tears and hysterics. And at other parties he's just hard work with tears and the grumps needing attention from me at least a few times during the party. I'm really dreading getting more party invitations.

So, do your kids struggle with big parties at play centres & similar places? It seems that the other kids cope fine (most of them) and I personally struggle with the fact that I'm the one with the child who can't cope with a 'simple' party.

He does fine at school and from what I can tell doesn't do this at school at all and at home he does do it when he's tired, but mostly he's ok. He is shy & a perfectionist.

Maybe if you know the mum of the next party it might be best to drop your little fella off and have a quick word to her of how he's been behaving at the other parties and to give you a call if need be. If he copes well at school on his own he may do better at the party without you being there? My kids are always more well behaved for other parents then for me

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Could it just be too much for him? Too much stuff to do so he gets stressed out from what he can do? Who he plays with at the parties and he doesnt want to miss out on anything etc?

We havent been to a large party yet(no more than 10 kids at all the parties we have been to) and DS has been fine.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

I don't cope with play centre birthday parties, the noise, the different groups all in together, the sheer number of children racing around. Luckily there's only been one of those, and we had somewhere else to be so were only able to stay for an hour. I did offer to pay for my child to go if they felt it wasn't worth having her there but it was ok because there was a large group discount anyway. It was horrific, people who go to those places are so so brave. That was prep. The rest have pretty much been outdoor parties where the noise isn't confined to a small place that locks in all the voices.