+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way !! Spend as much as you like ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joalisha View Post
    I spent $360 for my 5yo birthday this yr! We had a jumping castle & face painter totalling $260 and spend $100 on food & made the castle cake myself! It was a great day & it's the 1st time we have spent so much!
    I got the cheapest jumping castle there was and it was $200 for 4 hours. The entertainer was $200 or $250 for 2 hours. I made sandwiches, had party pies, sausage rolls, chicken, mini quiche, vegetarian food, crackers and dips, fruit platter, plus soft drinks, juice, water, tea and coffee, and my friend made the cake for no cost, apart from ingredients. I also hired kids' tables and chairs, some chairs and tables for the adults, a few balloons etc. plus my DD's 1 present and it all adds up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know many of the replies have said if a family can afford it its okay but not if they are struggling and I sort of disagree. As previously stated in my last comment I grew up in a pretty low income single parent household. My mum was a great mum but I have never ever had a birthday party... The best my mum could afford was to let me have 2 friends over for a sleep over and spaghetti bog for dinner and a small cake. She used to buy me mainly clothes as presents because she couldn't afford much and that is mainly what I needed. I know it was beyond my mum's financial abilities and she didn't even have a credit card back then so I'm not sure how she would have managed it, but I wish she would've just thrown me one party as a kid. You know... Thrown caution to the wind, put off the bills for a month and got me a proper cake, presents, balloons, games etc. Not every birthday, but maybe just every 3rd year or something. I don't think kids parties should be for just those that can afford it... Because let's face it, some parents have barely anything left over after paying their weekly food and rent and couldn't even afford a basic party without sacrificing some bills for the month...
    I don't think anyone should judge what someone chooses to do with their money. I wish my mum had of thrown me a party to remember even though she couldn't afford it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Smyles  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Because let's face it, some parents have barely anything left over after paying their weekly food and rent and couldn't even afford a basic party without sacrificing some bills for the month...
    That's all well and good to say, but what happens if those bills that they're sacrificing that month is the bill that ends up getting your power shut off? Or the real estate evicting you for unpaid rent? Or petrol going into the car to get your parents to work and you to school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    That's all well and good to say, but what happens if those bills that they're sacrificing that month is the bill that ends up getting your power shut off? Or the real estate evicting you for unpaid rent? Or petrol going into the car to get your parents to work and you to school?
    thats what mum has always said to me. However... Things happen like flat tyres, car battery running dead, etc and she always managed to come up with cash for that by putting off bills or negotiating payment plans etc.

this is purely personal opinion.... My mum could probably never even afford to spare $50 let alone $150 but I wish she had of all the same. I wish I had of had a birthday party as a kid and always have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    I don't judge what people spend, but do judge when over the top parents post party planning up dates weeks before the party on Facebook. Mothers who spend 20 hrs making a cake, and I think she does it to show off and get praise, personally I don't value spending that time making a cake I would rather buy mine and and spend the remaining 19 hrs with my child. So spend away just don't boast that's in bad taste
    I am one of those mothers that spends 20 hours making a cake. I do it because I KNOW whats in the cake. I KNOW it is a cake she will eat and like and I ENJOY doing it.
    I may be reading too much into this but I feel like you are saying I ignore my child to make the cake for her and it's just not the case.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-06-2013),cantwait1  (16-06-2013),HugsBunny  (18-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (16-06-2013),Tainted  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    thats what mum has always said to me. However... Things happen like flat tyres, car battery running dead, etc and she always managed to come up with cash for that by putting off bills or negotiating payment plans etc.

this is purely personal opinion.... My mum could probably never even afford to spare $50 let alone $150 but I wish she had of all the same. I wish I had of had a birthday party as a kid and always have.
    i'm with you there has to be a balance between survival and allowing your child to have normal childhood experiences. I was lucky that I had one party, but I know I grew up as one of the poorer students at school and it felt noticable. I hated it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (16-06-2013),RipperRita  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This year I will br spending about $200 on dd's party.
    At $8 a child I think thats good. Going to a play cafe and lunch provided for kids and having nibbles for lunch for adults.
    I am making the cake and doing some lolly-free party bags.

I don't think $700 is excessive.
    As long as you can afford it then go for it!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you didn't get a party as a kid, but no offence your mum sounds like a smart woman. I have some spare cash sitting in an emergency account for things exactly that - a flat tyre, emergency car repairs but would never use it for something that wasn't an absolute necessity . Sounds like she had her own version of that in order for you guys to survive. Still sucky you didn't get a party though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    I don't judge what people spend, but do judge when over the top parents post party planning up dates weeks before the party on Facebook. Mothers who spend 20 hrs making a cake, and I think she does it to show off and get praise, personally I don't value spending that time making a cake I would rather buy mine and and spend the remaining 19 hrs with my child. So spend away just don't boast that's in bad taste
    That's some pretty big generalisations lol I make my own cakes (they suck but I try lol). I make all the party food and cook for 2 days beforehand. I don't do it for praise and attention. I do it bc it makes me happy? I could give a hoot if a parent buys or bakes the cake. Runs pass the parcel and a pinata like I do, or pays for a clown. Each to their own. I certainly won't be losing sleep over people thinking I spend hours doing my child's cake to show off...... and if you saw my cakes, there aint much to show off about they are made with oodles of love, but like I say, they stink

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-06-2013),dancingchipmunk  (16-06-2013),Guest654  (16-06-2013),haylithan  (16-06-2013),HugsBunny  (18-06-2013),jfblady72  (16-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (16-06-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (16-06-2013),NancyBlackett  (16-06-2013),Tainted  (18-06-2013)