+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    To *me* that would be very extravagant, but I don't really think it is anyone else's business other than the people paying the bills.

I must admit I am a bit surprised that $1k is considered average?

We love to make a fuss of our kids for their birthday, but we have never spent more than about $150, and we certainly have never had any extravagant entertainment either.

I'm a bit surprised that kids are getting bored whilst waiting for the faces to be painted. Are we totally losing the skill of making our own fun these days? Isn't face painting enough? I'm really not having a go, sorry if it seems that way.
    Yeah certainly in my circle 1k isn't the norm. We have never had all the entertainers, but instead do all the games and the kids always have a ball and if anything it's a rush to squeeze everything in. The kids love running around, jumping on the trampoline etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Prior to having kids I would have judged....now I realise how quickly the cost can climb! Even doing a simple BBQ at my place for just family and close friends I've ended up spending close to $700 as we have a big and close family!

Now I'd say it would depend on the circumstances of the parents... If they are spending huge amounts at the expense of managing their day to day basics I would think they'd been foolish. If you are saving up for it then you are doing it wisely IMO.

We just went to a huge extravagant 1st birthday with bar and catering staff serving. Face painting etc. Everyone had a wonderful day and the grandparents paid. It was at their huge house and they can easily afford it. They wanted to make a big deal because its their 1st grandchild. No judgement from me, it was beautifully done.

Next weekend we have another first birthday. I expect this one to be much lower key. They are on one income (not high) and expecting another baby very soon which is already stressful for them. I expect to enjoy this one just as much.

If they end up spending loads I would be shocked and probably think they'd made life harder for themselves than they needed to. But it is their money, their choice...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    This thread is scaring me! Whatever happened to pin the tail on the donkey, a slice of cake and run around the back yard?

Each to their own OP, it sounds like an awesome party!
    I know and I do agree! But I honestly have no idea how to entertain 3 year-olds! DS would not concentrate long enough for party games and I am hesitant to do these types of games for that reason. I think as he gets older, these types of games can certainly suffice and I'll spend much less. I live the old school games I assure you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    To *me* that would be very extravagant, but I don't really think it is anyone else's business other than the people paying the bills.

I must admit I am a bit surprised that $1k is considered average?

We love to make a fuss of our kids for their birthday, but we have never spent more than about $150, and we certainly have never had any extravagant entertainment either.

I'm a bit surprised that kids are getting bored whilst waiting for the faces to be painted. Are we totally losing the skill of making our own fun these days? Isn't face painting enough? I'm really not having a go, sorry if it seems that way.
    Well there were 24 children there. I think it is totally unrealistic to expect that many kids aged 3-7 to stand in line patiently and wait. The entertainer wrote a number on everyone's hand and they went and played until their number was called. The face painter was also a professional, so her work was very detailed, not just a 20 second butterfly. The kids loved it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who cares what others think!! Do what makes you happy/will make your child happy as long as you don't go broke in the process

dd1's first bday cost about $3000 (for nearly 100 people)
    second would have been in between 700-1000.
    for her 3rd I will spend 700-800.
    Presents are on top of those amounts!
    excessive so some, yes, but for us it's money well spent!

honesly it's none if anyone's business if you spend $50 or $5000 imo
    Last edited by F&A; 16-06-2013 at 17:35.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well there were 24 children there. I think it is totally unrealistic to expect that many kids aged 3-7 to stand in line patiently and wait. The entertainer wrote a number on everyone's hand and they went and played until their number was called. The face painter was also a professional, so her work was very detailed, not just a 20 second butterfly. The kids loved it!
    What a great way to make sure everyone gets done without complaining or having to wait in line!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missemzy View Post
    My Uncle spent $8,000 (AUD) on his sons 1st birthday! He hired a popular childrens entertainment group in Peru (Apparently they are like Peru's version of the Wiggles), had huge balloon decorations (we're talking a big balloon rainbow arch, Balloon sculptures and balloon flowers), a catering company, gifts for each child and hall hire. Now that for me is over the top and worthy of judgement lol.
    Wow I would LOVE to have been at that party!! What an awesome uncle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's over the top, if you can afford it why not. For ds first birthday we spent $500 not including his presents. But we only had 6 kids all under 5 but 20+ adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I don't think I've ever bothered adding up what I think a party I've been to has cost?

Who cares?

Ive been reading this forum a bit lately. I think it's made me more critical of everything I do as a parent! (But I've gotten a lot of great stuff out if it too, just saying).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whilst I would never even if I could spend that much or close to it doesn't mean I would judge you. It's your child, their birthday your money so í has nothing to do with me.

We've always gone old school birthday fun. Musical chair, pass the parcel, pin the tail on etc. BBQ be it at home or at a nice park and tbh I think the only expensive thing has been the cake as I get them specially mad. The most I have ever spent of everything (cake food drinks decorations games stuff present invites bags etc) was $250 and Even that scared me lol

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Tank(mastiff x)+Echo(oz cattle)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)