+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Back on topic- no I wouldn't 'judge' per se, but I do think its a bit sad that kid's parties aren't just the plain old sausage sizzle and fairy bread backyard type of thing anymore. My kids have mostly had this type, sometimes with a theme chucked in like DD had a 'high tea' and DD2 had a disco party. I dunno I just kind of think we (as a society) overindulge our kids sometimes, as much as we make a really big deal of our kids birthday because its a special day, I just don't think it needs to be so 'designer' as most of the time this is not to make the kid happy, but to impress others. Obviously I'm not talking about getting a fairy doing face painting etc as that is something the kids love.

As for the cakes, I make all my kid's cakes, they go through the WW Birthday Cake book over and over again for weeks choosing a cake, its kind of a family tradition. I love decorating the cakes, and they are so proud of me when it comes out, it makes them really happy.

One thing I also don't like is people going overboard with presents. My kids get so much expensive rubbish from people they are barely friends with, and while I appreciate it, its such a waste. I just wish there wasn't this expectation that you have to spend lots or you look stingy, coz my kids would be happy with a pretty hair tie really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much you spend on your child's birthday is your own business.
    I do admit to cringing (inwardly of course) at one birthday where dad took every opportunity to brag about the source and cost of everything at the party.
    Even then, all I remember thinking is, 'Well, I best be getting myself a slice of that $800 cake', and enjoying every mouthful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I wouldnt judge..... Im trying to do a 7th bday party for around $500 - it is sooo hard and that doesnt count presents. So $700 is reasonable to me.

For my DS2 1st bday we spent over $2k!!! I nearly died once I realised - it adds up, we didnt even hire anything as we bought a jumping castle when DS1 was little and drag that out. I do spent too much on decorations - I always have at least 100 helium balloons in our lounge with a silver birthday number - the looks on my boys face when they see this is amazing. I love matching the theme. I go over board with the decorations and theme - which I am really trying to not spend soo much on.

I think it comes down to how many kids and people there are, we had 80 people so if your just looking at food and drinks at about $10 a head that is already at $800.

For me, hiring a jumping castle or face painter or animal barn is sort of normal at parties - it is normally just one not all of it though.

P.s I got a cake made for DS2 1st bday - $180 it was awesome, but I have spent many nights making my boys cakes cursing that it doesnt look like the picture

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yikes! That is amazing!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I should know better than to respond to threads with the word "Judge" in the title. They always run thus:

"Do you judge?"
    "Honest answer? Yes. Because..."
    "You can't have that opinion because I don't like it and it's offensive. You're so judgmental and your experience isn't what everyone else's is."
    "Didn't you want my opinion though?"
    "Not if it's not the right one".
    "...Righto, as you were".

ETA: OP, do whatever you feel is right. At the end of the day you're responsible to no one but yourself and your child. There's always someone that will judge no matter what. Be happy with your decisions and you'll be fine
    Last edited by Eko; 19-06-2013 at 13:46.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-06-2013),cassieh  (19-06-2013),dancingchipmunk  (19-06-2013),MsViking  (10-09-2013),MummaOJ  (19-06-2013),oozzle  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I should know better than to respond to threads with the word "Judge" in the title. They always run thus:

"Do you judge?"
    "Honest answer? Yes. Because..."
    "You can't have that opinion because I don't like it and it's offensive. You're so judgmental and your experience isn't what everyone else's is."
    "Didn't you want my opinion though?"
    "Not if it's not the right one".
    "...Righto, as you were".

ETA: OP, do whatever you feel is right. At the end of the day you're responsible to no one but yourself and your child. There's always someone that will judge no matter what. Be happy with your decisions and you'll be fine
    Just because it's your opinion, doesn't mean it isn't offensive.