+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    It's a bit tragic really that some people find it rude for another mother being proud of her baking.

We all grew tiny humans and everyone said "well done", why not a cake? Making a cake takes some skill!
    It sure does! Now, I have not claimed that the cakes I make taste any good, kids eat the icing anyway and don't care much for the cake, what I said is that eventually the end result has been pretty awesome after many failed attempts of the same cake even with stencils and instructions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

Smyles  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I want to hear about this party!!!!

It was awesome! Nintendo reps came to our house to provide a party for my son and 15 friends, they transformed my lounge room into an arcade of sorts.. Big lounge room which was lucky! Catered, all activities were run by them which left lovely adult time for the Mums and myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My children's birthday parties are always up in the hundreds so $700 isn't that unheard of. A guy that DH worked with told him his wife spent $5000 on her daughters 5th birthday and it was held at a park! The money was used on fancy decorations, game prizes and food most of the guests wouldn't eat. So no I don't think $700 is ridiculous, I do however think that women was a little nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at all!

We are not high income earners but we are comfortable middle class earners who save!

Our daughters 1st birthday will be in Jan however this year she will endure surgeries to correct her cleft & has been poked & prodded since birth so the way we see it once all the surgery is done we're going to end year with a bang and celebrate her being able to move forward & an exciting year to come so we are going all out for her birthday!!!

Between her party & presents it has been estimated approx. $2k max! We have large families so there will be close to 50 ppl & it is a Minnie Mouse themed party! Around $1k of that is presents but that includes her new bedroom set up in Minnie Mouse theme & some small pieces of themed storage furniture

I do not believe how much you spend determines how much you love your child or anything like that, my daughters following birthdays will not be as big & I know she won't remember this one but we're simply doing it because we can & to rid any negativity from this year & start fresh

Sent from my ST25a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're also using the Christmas toy sale layby to buy toys so between the sale prices & the 5 months or whatever it is to pay it off - we definitely have an advantage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Should I link to my FB album of mum made birthday cakes now? Or would that be revolting and needy?
    Yes yes you indeed should, because unlike 1 the majority of us can appreciate a good cake no matter who made it

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This made me remember DD1's first birthday cake. I made a teddy bear cake and it wasn't until we were all gathered around singing happy birthday that I realised I forgot to put arms on it
    (Clearly not a 20 hr job )
    oh dear lol mine was a puppy and I forgot its tail and its eyes, oh yes it was a disaster and embarrasing and I will never attempt it again

Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    Wow I didn't realise there were so many women here who need outside reassurance by boasting about what a wonderful job they do, obviously my post reached a touch spot for,some of you. I didn't care if you spend 20 hours making your kid a hello kitty cake, but boasting about it which some of you seem very keen to do is revolting. I don't need others to reassure me, and I feel sorry that you all need it.
    Your the revolting one, your making nasty mean comments and to be honest you sound bitter that you probably can't make a cake like some of the ladies here....... your comment has jealousy written all over it,

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by miraclemakers View Post
    No not at all!

We are not high income earners but we are comfortable middle class earners who save!

Our daughters 1st birthday will be in Jan however this year she will endure surgeries to correct her cleft & has been poked & prodded since birth so the way we see it once all the surgery is done we're going to end year with a bang and celebrate her being able to move forward & an exciting year to come so we are going all out for her birthday!!!

Between her party & presents it has been estimated approx. $2k max! We have large families so there will be close to 50 ppl & it is a Minnie Mouse themed party! Around $1k of that is presents but that includes her new bedroom set up in Minnie Mouse theme & some small pieces of themed storage furniture

I do not believe how much you spend determines how much you love your child or anything like that, my daughters following birthdays will not be as big & I know she won't remember this one but we're simply doing it because we can & to rid any negativity from this year & start fresh

Exactly my reason for going overboard this year, to make up for the loss of other things that were taken from us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh Lordy! Now people can't have nice birthday parties or bake their own cakes without being insulted?! For real, this is crazy!

OP, $700 isn't really that much if hiring entertainment. I think you should do what makes you and your child happy.

Now for those neglectful cake baking mothers, seriously, you had better put down the cake decorating tools and spend time with your poor children. Shame on you all!!
    Last edited by Jakois; 17-06-2013 at 09:16.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds's bday isnt until July and I've already posted pics on fb of the costume Im going to wear.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I knew how to upload a pic I would post a pic of the awesome robot cake I made for DS' birthday this weekend....! And I made it during the day!! Somebody call DOCS. Oh, it only took about 2 hours though...