+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I remember the year she goes "mum, this icing tastes like... Butter!"

Right before the 'butter cream' took it upon itself to kamikaze slide right off the cake. For shame.
    rofl I've done a couple of good ones, a castle for DD and a dinosaur for DS that turned out reasonable. But last year for DD I made a mud cake, which was actually pretty yummy, but thought I be creative and use the gel pencil things for writing to make love hearts.... they looked like weird red blobs and the kids were screwing up their faces asking what the red stuff was and could the eat it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Dh has promised me a huge 40th with a band and everything it will be my first ever birthday party.... Good things come to those who wait
    That sounds like great fun, you'll have a blast. My grandma had a band at her 80th, that was her first ever party, I felt so sad when my uncle announced that and wish I could have had a party for her other years. It was a massive party though, family came from all over the country and a couple even came from overseas to celebrate that with her. It's still sad to think she went 80 years without anyone thinking to throw her a party.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    Wow I didn't realise there were so many women here who need outside reassurance by boasting about what a wonderful job they do, obviously my post reached a touch spot for,some of you. I didn't care if you spend 20 hours making your kid a hello kitty cake, but boasting about it which some of you seem very keen to do is revolting. I don't need others to reassure me, and I feel sorry that you all need it.
    Haha I think someone's a bit bitter that they can't make a cake.
    No one here has been boasting, you seem to be the only one with revolting behavior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few years ago I would have gone if someone suggested $700 was normal for a kids birthday party.

BUT....now that ds1 has been in school for a couple of years I totally get it.

Ds1 had his first party last year (6th birthday). I kept it low key, about 7 friends, plus siblings and parents, mil and her partner. We made all the food, did old school party games and lolly bags. Including presents we probably spent $200.

So I can see that since mine was low key, add some entertainment, provided food and it would add up pretty quickly.

At the end of the day though WHO CARES!!! I hope it all turns out great and your son has an absolute ball OP.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't care or even think about how much a party costs, I reserve my judgement for the lolly bags! That's only because I was the one who ate them until DD was about 5.

I also make my DD's cakes, she chooses what she wants from the Woman's Weekly birthday cakes book & I try to make it look like the picture, that's what my mum did for me growing up. If I get that cake looking like the picture, you can be sure I'll be as proud as punch and face booking the pics (actually I would FB the flops too).

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

oozzle  (16-06-2013),RipperRita  (16-06-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope, wouldn't judge. I have spent that much on a party before, it's easily done! Food, drinks, entertainment. It's not something I could do for all 4 kids each year, but I think if you can throw at least one memorable party with some really cool stuff for each kid at some point, it's OK and not too extravagant.

My sons 10th party was worth $3500 - Thank God I won it, it was awesome and at age 12 his mates still bring it up!

As for cakes, I plastered my 5 year olds cake all over my FB page as I was soooo proud of it. It was a really easy cake to make, but looked so yum!
    Much better than the cake I tried to make for him the year before which ended up being thrown onto the front lawn, still bl00dy stuck in the baking tin!!!! Giant cupcake gone bad, and hard, and burnt.
    I love it when my friends boast about things they've made. It inspires me to try harder!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    I don't care or even think about how much a party costs, I reserve my judgement for the lolly bags! That's only because I was the one who ate them until DD was about 5.
    Lolly bags are very important!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    Me too! Forget the cake - it's all about the lolly bags!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a bit tragic really that some people find it rude for another mother being proud of her baking.

We all grew tiny humans and everyone said "well done", why not a cake? Making a cake takes some skill!
    Last edited by Smyles; 16-06-2013 at 22:43.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by oozzle View Post
    My sons 10th party was worth $3500 - Thank God I won it, it was awesome and at age 12 his mates still bring it up!
    I want to hear about this party!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (17-06-2013)