+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No worries. On second though it is easy to spend money. I did a sausage and bread 1st birthday for my boy and with salads, nibbles, cake (I can't bake!), decorations I'm sure it would have been around $400. $400 for a tight **** birthday. So $700 for jumping castle and clown perhaps you are a better shopper than me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some parents might spend $13 a week on macca's drive through for their kids. Some might spend $700 once a year on a great birthday party. Horses for courses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eMBe View Post
    Wait I wasn't being narky. I'm fine, I was wondering if around$700 was too much to spend on a party, not 'do I earn enough to throw a $700 party' iykwim. Never mind, all good. I was just wanting to get an idea of what others spend really.
    To be honest, with everything all together, it probably cost over $1000 for this latest party. Last year I was lucky enough for it to cost next to nothing because someone else on facebook had the same theme party and was selling all her home made decoration for exceptionally cheap so for all the decorations including table cloths, the paper plates, cups and balloons came to around $50 then another $50 or so for food, game prizes and loot bags, if that, and that was for 20 kids, we had family, friends and school friends attending. She's had a backyard party where I bought one pack of cheap balloons from Crazy Clarks or some such shop, 1 pack of paper plates, 1 pack of paper cups, had pass the parcel, some chips, lollies, crackers and dip and some cake. All up maybe $20 and we had the neighbours over and that was it. I don't have a set amount for each party, it depends how many people are coming, what her interests are, and as mentioned this year I knowingly over-compensated. But then, I could afford it without struggling to buy food the following few weeks. So a lot of factors come into it.

Would I judge a person for throwing a party like we had then having the phone and power cut off from not paying the bill? Probably, but I'd have to know them well enough to know that, and I don't know her school friends well enough to know if the party they are having is too expensive for them or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eMBe View Post
    I've been sitting here thinking about it all and I think I'm mostly motivated by 1. Wanting the party to he a certain success, because 2. I have memories from my childhood of terribly unsuccessful small-scale parties (sorry mum). Lol my poor mum had no idea (or couldn't be bothered). I clearly remember one year finding my 6 year-old brother crying quietly in his room on the morning if his pending birthday party. Mum hadn't organised anything, except a few bowls of fruit (prunes included) on the table. My brother was a quiet kid and said to me 'is there any lollies?' It broke my heart! I jumped in the car and raced down and bought heaps if sweets and organised some music and games at the last minute. He was so relieved I could see it on his face! I'm terrified of throwing a bad party for DS!!!
    i get where your coming from... I really do. I don't know if you read my earlier post but when I was a kid I never had a birthday party... EVER! Because my mum was too poor mainly but I would have loved her to just ignore the bills just one month and throw me a proper party with cake, balloons, presents, games and friends... Just for the memories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    Wow I didn't realise there were so many women here who need outside reassurance by boasting about what a wonderful job they do, obviously my post reached a touch spot for,some of you. I didn't care if you spend 20 hours making your kid a hello kitty cake, but boasting about it which some of you seem very keen to do is revolting. I don't need others to reassure me, and I feel sorry that you all need it.
    Revolting? Really? Misskitty wasn't boasting. Nothing wrong with feeling good about going to an effort to make your child's birthday special. Mothers feel guilty enough all the time about their parenting as it is. Take the moments of feeling happy about the job you are doing while you can I say.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-06-2013),HugsBunny  (18-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (16-06-2013),misskittyfantastico  (16-06-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow I didn't realise there were so many women here who need outside reassurance by boasting about what a wonderful job they do, obviously my post reached a touch spot for,some of you. I didn't care if you spend 20 hours making your kid a hello kitty cake, but boasting about it which some of you seem very keen to do is revolting. I don't need others to reassure me, and I feel sorry that you all need it.
    I've read the whole thread, haven't seen anyone boasting. I don't think you need to be revolted or piteous, it's a discussion about kids parties for goodness sake.

OP, nope, I wouldn't judge. Are you going to look back in 20 years and regret going all out to celebrate and make wonderful memories for your child? Hell no! So go for it, whether its a $1000 play centre party or a $300 backyard BBQ or a maccas party with ice cream cake- do what will make your family happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't judge, it might not be what I would do for my kids but good on those that have different ideas, that's what makes our kids lives so much fun.

For years we've had my sons parties in the park with a supplied BBQ and I reckon food and drinks/supplies would cost us $500, it's amazing how quick it can add up.

Truly as long as the kids are having fun, the parents as comfortable as can be then go for it. I have been to parties that have left me thinking I've dudded my kids out of some good parties but that's my own issue not the party throwers.

Oh and I buy the cakes, I think I'm missing the baking gene!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    lol only on BH does a thread about parties become a b*tch fight, first with insults to those that happen to make their food, then PA insults how we need reassurance good lord!

Buy your cake, and I'll make mine. Everyone is happy, case closed

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (16-06-2013),Clementine Grace  (16-06-2013),Guest654  (16-06-2013),HugsBunny  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol only on BH does a thread about parties become a b*tch fight, first with insults to those that happen to make their food, then PA insults how we need reassurance good lord!

Buy your cake, and I'll make mine. Everyone is happy, case closed
    Amen! you don't need to go to a kids party to see mum's being competitive, just start a cake thread on bubhub.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    i get where your coming from... I really do. I don't know if you read my earlier post but when I was a kid I never had a birthday party... EVER! Because my mum was too poor mainly but I would have loved her to just ignore the bills just one month and throw me a proper party with cake, balloons, presents, games and friends... Just for the memories.
    I'd so love to throw you a proper party right now. We were never poor as kids, and although I often live like I'm poor which is why I do have money put aside, I haven't experienced being poor as an adult or a mother either. But one of my friends grew up around the corner from me and her family's business went bust, so one year they were living like anyone else and doing normal everyday things then the next year they struggled to buy food, yet every child for every birthday was allowed to invite 3 or 4 friends from school and they'd have a game of pass the parcel, a home cooked meal and some cake. There would be balloons on the fence and in the house as well. It was very low key but still something to mark the special day. I went to all her parties as kids from the time we were 3 years old, she came to mine as well, and we both remember the excitement of it being a birthday party more than anything. I'm sorry you didn't have that

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (16-06-2013)