+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Funny enough the most I have ever paid for one my kids birthday parties was one where it was just us and the kids, no friends. I was for her 4th birthday and she had prayed every night with out fail for tweety bird to come to her birthday. So we had a family lunch/party at the restaurant at movie-world. She tweety bird and sylvester all to herself for two hours, and all the other characters drop by to say happy birthday. They set it up so pretty for her it was wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    I don't judge what people spend, but do judge when over the top parents post party planning up dates weeks before the party on Facebook. Mothers who spend 20 hrs making a cake, and I think she does it to show off and get praise, personally I don't value spending that time making a cake I would rather buy mine and and spend the remaining 19 hrs with my child. So spend away just don't boast that's in bad taste
    Here I was thinking I was a good mum. My dd2 turned 1 last week and we had a reasonably sized party for her (45ppl) and I made everything. Even the hommus for the vege dip.

Yes I do cook for the praise... The look of sheer delight from the kids faces, and some adults. I cook because I like good food.

I'm also a terrible friend as I often will spend hours cooking and decorating a cake instead of giving a gift/money/voucher.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OP, the majority of people have said they wouldnt judge...so dont let a couple of rough comments bother you. Through your child whatever party you want and enjoy making good memories for you and your family

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013),flicker  (16-06-2013),Guest654  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I over-compensated this year. My daughter hit double digits, we're in a new town for 12 months, it's her last year as an only child and she's been a witness to a violent crime right before her birthday so I invited the entire class as well as her friends from other grades and pretty much everyone else we know, had it as a dress up party, hired a jumping castle, had a pinata, bought a giant blow up treasure chest and filled it with ice and tins of softdrink and hired a hall that's off a park so the party took place in the park with all the food in the hall. We had a photographer and lots of music as well. I don't know how much it came to all up because I'd planned on having a normal party for her so had bought birthday candles, invitations, plates/cups/napkins, had bought some food like the chips and lollies and things that keep but then went way out. I bought cheese platters from the supermarket that they do up with various cheese, crackers and dried fruit, bought antipasto platters from the deli, because it was pretty much all impulse-buying, I didn't keep track other than the $200 I spent on the blow up treasure chest, photo board thingy, balloons and other decorations on an online party store. So no, I wouldn't judge because I wouldn't know what their motive is, if it's regular and if they are going to struggle to pay the bills by putting on this huge party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    How the HECK did you get both for so cheap?! Here everything is 300 each!
    My jumping castle was $200 for 5 hrs ended being 8hrs by the time he came and picked it up, and the face painter was $60 for 2 hrs! She did 20 kids in that time too! The face painter I found on Facebook, she had only just started up her business and was trying to drum up business!
    Last edited by joalisha; 16-06-2013 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by eMBe View Post
    MY want to be friends with you because we think alike! I was perplexed by the question asking me how much I earn. I thought the poster missed the point because it has nothing to do with my income (which is moderate) and everything to do with how I use/manage my money and priorities.
    I didnt miss the point. I agree with you. Its about how someone uses/manages their money and priorities.

And I have nothing against those on a low income who can work just as hard as those on higher incomes. I just think that a low income person (receiving welfare etc) spending $700 on a party perhaps they aren't managing their long term priorities right. Kids can get just as much enjoyment from pass the parcel and pin the tail on the donkey. Surely the $700 could be spent in a way that helps the medium-long term prospects of the family?

I wouldn't say anything to anyone other than my friend though, as I know her circumstances and I can confirm $700 on a party, for her would be a dumbass move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it OP! I love organising kids parties too and I had great ones as a child and am doing the same for DS! Spend what you want as long as you can afford it - I go over board but we also invite adults so the food alone adds up! I talked DH into buying a jumping castle and a roller coaster ride when DS was 1 as it would save in hire fees for the next few years and it has!
    I actually get his cake made - I cook everything else but am not a great decorator so I always get an amazing cake made

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I didnt miss the point. I agree with you. Its about how someone uses/manages their money and priorities.

And I have nothing against those on a low income who can work just as hard as those on higher incomes. I just think that a low income person (receiving welfare etc) spending $700 on a party perhaps they aren't managing their long term priorities right. Kids can get just as much enjoyment from pass the parcel and pin the tail on the donkey. Surely the $700 could be spent in a way that helps the medium-long term prospects of the family?

I wouldn't say anything to anyone other than my friend though, as I know her circumstances and I can confirm $700 on a party, for her would be a dumbass move.

Oh I see. However you didn't ask if I was 'on welfare', you asked if I was on a 'high income'. Sorry I assumed you were inferring I should only spend that amount on a party if I'm on a high income (as determined by you).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I didn't realise there were so many women here who need outside reassurance by boasting about what a wonderful job they do, obviously my post reached a touch spot for,some of you. I didn't care if you spend 20 hours making your kid a hello kitty cake, but boasting about it which some of you seem very keen to do is revolting. I don't need others to reassure me, and I feel sorry that you all need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She asked "would you judge" some people said yes. Or are you not meant to answer with honesty when asked? I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just what others have said, it isn't my priority. Having said that I'd consider one or the other. I am not a "fun" adult, I don't do well entertaining other peoples children. So this thread has given me an idea to either hire a party person or a jumping castle.

So thanks OP, for the inspiration.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (17-06-2013),Eko  (19-06-2013),eMBe  (16-06-2013),wannawannabe  (16-06-2013)