+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol I made one for DS 2 years ago that was rather good, but I really should buy them. Some of the cakes I see from mums are brilliant, sadly mine aren't Although this year I got a reprieve when DS wanted just one of those edible picture things you stick on for his theme. Yep, that suits my ability! chocolate cake mix, some betty crocker choccie icing and whack the thing on the top. Voila I'm a cake making extraordinaire lol
    I should try that. I can make an ok everyday cake but anything decorated...no!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, yes I would judge. Although not always negatively. I'd just be thinking "Those parents must be trying to prove something". But then I guess that's because the only parents I've ever known to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a birthday for a child who's too young to remember it are unfortunately a couple of people with very low self esteem who always seem to be trying to keep up with the Robinsons.

My kids have great birthdays, but I'd rather put the extra money towards an education fund or something that will last.
    People can spend their money any way they like. I just have different priorities to those people I guess. Doesn't make me right or them *shrug*.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Honestly, yes I would judge. Although not always negatively. I'd just be thinking "Those parents must be trying to prove something". But then I guess that's because the only parents I've ever known to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a birthday for a child who's too young to remember it are unfortunately a couple of people with very low self esteem who always seem to be trying to keep up with the Robinsons.

My kids have great birthdays, but I'd rather put the extra money towards an education fund or something that will last.
    People can spend their money any way they like. I just have different priorities to those people I guess. Doesn't make me right or them *shrug*.
    Ouch!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never should have posted this thread. I never would have imagined such thoughts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol I made one for DS 2 years ago that was rather good, but I really should buy them. Some of the cakes I see from mums are brilliant, sadly mine aren't Although this year I got a reprieve when DS wanted just one of those edible picture things you stick on for his theme. Yep, that suits my ability! chocolate cake mix, some betty crocker choccie icing and whack the thing on the top. Voila I'm a cake making extraordinaire lol
    Have you seen the cake resuce kits, They are are little expensive but it comes with everything and you can make a fancy cake with the same effort as the the cake you made above.

http://www.cake2therescue.com.au/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

delirium  (16-06-2013),FrothyFrog  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eMBe View Post
    I never should have posted this thread. I never would have imagined such thoughts!
    Me neither?

I would not even imagine for a second that someone was trying to impress by giving a big party???

All my friends are pretty grounded, though!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post

But what if you could afford both? Then it's not a case of prioritising, as you can afford all of the things you want to.

And what if you're planning what you think is a fun celebration for everyone? Not just for the birthday kid to remember, but for other family and friends too? I still have happy memories of DD's first 2 birthdays, and to me they were our celebration too.

No 'keeping up'. Just celebrating something special to us.

As to the other poster who mentioned about cakes... Pfft. I love any excuse to decorate cakes, as it's a hobby I enjoy. Not for showing off, but because I enjoy doing it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (16-06-2013),eMBe  (16-06-2013),F&A  (17-06-2013),kezanazz  (16-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Me neither?

I would not even imagine for a second that someone was trying to impress by giving a big party???

All my friends are pretty grounded, though!!!
    Me neither. These days, a few hundred dollars for a kids birthday party doesn't go very far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see $700 as getting into the keeping up with the jones' territory TBH. It is more than I would spend, but it's not like you'd have to take out a loan or anything....it's really not a huge amount if you're hiring a castle etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eMBe View Post
    Wow I'm astounded how judgemental tis thread has gotten.

I would not judge. I would not even think about how much it cost. Seriously you turn up at a party, kids are having fun and are entertained I'm happy! I'm not standing there thinking, gee that clown must have cost heaps and the jumpy castle! For all I know you have a friend who is the clown and is doing it for free and you got a big discount on the castle..
    It is very easy to spend money on kids parties even just on food. $700 is all relative to what you can afford.
    Go for it and have fun, and perhaps of your friends at the party are judgy and snide get sine new friends....