+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you judge parents for spending *too much* on their child's birthday party?

I am concerned I'm spending too much on DS's 3'rd birthday party. He won't be having a big party every year but this year it's going to be big - he is now that age where he loves parties. But as a SP, the cost of the party is bordering in about $700 and I tell myself that's ridiculous and the other parents will think I'm ridiculous! It's on stuff like a jumping castle, an entertainer/clown, and a few platters if food, and tables and chairs for the kids, plus party bags, balloons and cake stuff.

Im planning months ahead so am paying but by bit so it's not so bad but is it just too much??

I know the kids will love the JC and clown and while we will do much of the basic food and drinks ourselves I really do think I should order the platters on top for up to 25 kids and adults!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think $700 on a young child's party is very over the top and personally I would never pay that. Having said that, I think your child will have a blast as will the other children invited.

I have realised that you really don't need to spend or do a lot for children's parties because ultimately they are going to have such a fun time celebrating with their friends. I know that my daughter is not so concerned about where or what were doing when we go to a party but is more interested in who is going to be there!

If you want to save some money, hold off on the platters as a lot of food will get wasted and there's nothing wrong with a sausage on a roll.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have the money and that's what you want to do then why not? Birthday parties are quite expensive. I've never spent $700 but I reckon I've spent up to $500. Personally for a 3 year old, I'd either get the entertainer or the jumping castle, probably the jumping castle. If you have toys and outside toys already the kids will be happy just playing on them.

Like I said that if it's what you want to do then why not. I don't go to birthday parties thinking wow they've spent way too much money and in fact don't put much thought into it lol. The only thing I do think about is value for money. For example, I'm very judgemental of play centres and things as they charge a lot of money but I don't think they give value for money.

I also agree with the above. I provided heaps of food which I thought was just enough and I reckon over half of it was thrown out. I'll know for next time. I think I"ll just do a sausage sizzle, cake and have some fairy bread, lollies, chips and fruit platter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It doesnt seem like too much to me.

DS1 recently turned 5 and including his presents and party, it cost us around $1000 but his present alone was just over $500.

I say if you want to do it and can afford it, who cares what others think? They dont have to know how much its cost you. ..

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I love going all out for birthday parties!!! Why not if you can I say Sounds like it will be a brilliant day, enjoy!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have been to a children's party that probably cost at least $5K if not more, so $700 looks ok beside that!
    None of what you are plannng sounds particularly over the top and if it's within your affordability range, well enjoy I hope he has a great day
    Cheers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would never spend that, but each to their own. I'm spending $150 on DS's themed party, that includes all the food, cake, party bags, games, invites etc.

It's up to you really. If you can afford and want to do it, do it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013),HugsBunny  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's possible I would judge a parent spending $700 on a 3 year olds birthday party. It all depends on the circumstances.

Can I ask are you on a high income?

If someone i knew on a low income (and im thinking of a particular friend here) blew $700 on a party Id probably think they were being bl@@dy stupid. They would be better of paying some bills or saving for that house deposit they keep talking about. Depending on my friends situation at the time (if they had needed help with bills in the past fee months etc) I may say something.

If a middle income friend did this I would probably think they were trying hard to impress people. I wouldn't say anything though, would get over my thoughts quickly and let my child enjoy the party.

If a higher income friend spent that much money on a party I probably wouldn't think much about it. Perhaps I would whinge that they didnt provide champagne and caviar for the adults!

Bottom line is it all depends on the parents circumstances and how they carry themselves/treat their guests. I may say I would or wouldn't judge but in reality it all depends on the specifics of the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't judge other parents (unless they are neglecting or abusing their kids).
    It sounds like a lovely party, I'm sure everyone will be having to much fun to judge how much was spent (outside the odd busy body, and who cares what they think lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (16-06-2013),HugsBunny  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think $700 is reasonable amount. Jumping castles and entertainment adds up but definitely not over the top. The kids will love it and takes alot of pressure off of you to entertain when there are things like jumping castles and clowns around.

I spent up arond $600 on my daughter's party last year, castle, food, drinks, games, cake etc.

My Uncle spent $8,000 (AUD) on his sons 1st birthday! He hired a popular childrens entertainment group in Peru (Apparently they are like Peru's version of the Wiggles), had huge balloon decorations (we're talking a big balloon rainbow arch, Balloon sculptures and balloon flowers), a catering company, gifts for each child and hall hire. Now that for me is over the top and worthy of judgement lol.